Renewing Australian passport in Thailand

My passport due to expire in just under one year. I live up country and just wondering if I can renew it by post or online without travelling to Bangkok?

Also I will be doing my one year OA visa extension soon. Will I need at least one full year left on my passport to do this?

What about travelling to another country? Say Laos or Vietnam? (only for a week or two). I know some countries insist on you having at least a year or 6 months left on your passport

You have to apply in person at the embassy. See: http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html
You can apply for the extension of stay but if it has less than one year of validity the extension will on be issued to the date it expires.
All nearby countries (all of ASEAN) require 6 months of passport validity to enter.
So it looks like I need to renew my passport at the very least 6 months before expiry so I can travel. So does that mean the new passport is in effect immediately you receive or start from the expiry date of your old passport?

Are there rules saying how early you can apply for new passport before expiry of old?

I saw on the Australian Thai embassy website looks like you can apply online

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

So it looks like I need to renew my passport at the very least 6 months before expiry so I can travel. So does that mean the new passport is in effect immediately you receive or start from the expiry date of your old passport?

It starts from the date the new passport is issued.

Are there rules saying how early you can apply for new passport before expiry of old?

No

You may of seen that on one of the websites the embassy webpage has links to. As far as I know online applications can only be done in Australia.

It states this in the first paragraph on the page. "Applicants must lodge their Australian passport application in person at the Embassy. Applications are not accepted by post." I see nothing on the embassy webpage that say it can be done online.

You may of seen that on one of the websites the embassy webpage has links to. As far as I know online applications can only be done in Australia.
It states this in the first paragraph on the page. "Applicants must lodge their Australian passport application in person at the Embassy. Applications are not accepted by post." I see nothing on the embassy webpage that say it can be done online.
Ta mate

I went back home for a visit and did it there .easier. than all the hasle in BKK these days.oh for the good old days when the embassy actually did something and you could get it done there in a few hours.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry ime British.didnt see it was australia.its late .ime old lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, Kenny202 said:

You can apply for a new passport more than 6 months in advance. I did and there was no problem. Your ten years starts from when it is approved in Canberra. 

You go online and complete a renewal application. You print this out and present this at the Embassy or in my case at the outreach Embassy visit in Chiang Mai. The cost of the passport and the "Julie Bishop tax" for applying overseas increases every year on the 1st January. 

• 2 weeks later...

I could have sworn an Aussie I know in Isaan said he renewed his passport in Laos at the Australian Embassy there ?

Upon his advice, he saved me a hell of a lot of time and expense in getting some docs witnessed by the Consular (for a fee) at the Laos Embassy instead of me flying down to Bangkok.

If I recall correctly he said he lodged his renewal at Laos and had to return 3 days later to collect it, i.e. they contacted him and they will not send it by post.

Here is their email address, I have found them to be very prompt in replying and provide you with all the information you require so as to make your trip really smooth, i.e. if you don't have all the docs/information, its a hell of a hassle to go through everything all over again, i.e. back to Thailand, new re-entry permit etc etc.

[email protected]

If they say yes, make sure you get your re-entry permit from your local immigration office, cost 1,000 baht, if I recall correctly, exit Thailand at Nong Kai (Friendship Bridge), catch the bus once you go through immigration, about 20 baht to the other side of the bridge, then pay $30 USD to the Laos immigration guys once you fill in the forms, they will stamp your passport, but you (MUST PAY IN USD $) the embassy also only accepts USD $ so make sure you have USD $ or you will stuff up your day. You then can get a taxi to the embassy which is about a 20-30 minute trip, driver will wait for you, ours did for an hour, and return back to Friendship Bridge for 300 Thai baht, always pay after, then you get the bus back for another 20 baht and your done and dusted once you re-enter Thailand, and keep that new white entry card in your passport as they will take the old one from you.

Hope this helps and you might want to update us if I am correct that you can have it renewed at the Laos Embassy, or not.

Good Luck

On 5/21/2018 at 8:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

It starts from the date the new passport is issued.

No

Not true, if you have a current or recently expired passport in good condition issued after about 10 years ago the form must be submitted online.  You then have to print it out and go to the embassy or outreach with the form and they will accept the photo if correct (they are fussy) and the form and the fee and you will then receive the passport in a week or two.  If you wish they will post it from Bangkok but you are responsible if it goes missing.

On the outreach visits they say they will not accept cash, you must pay in Thai Baht through a Credit or Debit card.  They have a machine,

Edited by harrry
17 hours ago, harrry said:

Not true, if you have a current or recently expired passport in good condition issued after about 10 years ago the form must be submitted online.  You then have to print it out and go to the embassy or outreach with the form and they will accept the photo if correct (they are fussy) and the form and the fee and you will then receive the passport in a week or two.  If you wish they will post it from Bangkok but you are responsible if it goes missing.

On the outreach visits they say they will not accept cash, you must pay in Thai Baht through a Credit or Debit card.  They have a machine,

I attended the outreach visit in March this year and they accepted cash from me.