Mafia chasing Indian men from Pattaya beach wasn’t what it seemed, say police

webfact

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I read today on Bloomberg that the bankers don't consider you rich unless you have $25 million dollars.

all this over 500 baht and a delivery fee...

Indian CheapCharlie's 5 min of fame - not that impressive, but may qualify for an actor role in Bollywood....:coffee1:

• Like 1

This word mafia keeps coming up, please for the love of Christ stop putting these Thai guys up so high, mafia my rear, thugs, gangs ok, but mafia, Italians only, not Russians, not Thai's, Italians only sta copla da minkia

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident occured when Baldeep Singh Gultali and a friend were eating near the beach opposite the entrance to Soi 8.

Mr Gultali received a call from another Indian man called Gurwiwder Singh who asked him to transfer 3,000 baht to someone in India.

Mr Gultali explained he only had 2,500 baht in his account, so Mr Singh arrange for a Thai driver to deliver an extra 500 baht so Mr Gultali could make the transfer.

However, when the Thai driver arrived, he demanded a fee for having brought the money. Mr Gultali refused and a quarrel started. Mr Singh then arrived and some of his Thai assistants and the whole thing escalated as the group started brawling in the street.

A group of people who work on the beach then tried to calm the situation. However, this is where the misunderstanding occurred, police say.

I totally believe this story! Then again, I also believe in Santa Claus... :passifier:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, northernboy said:

Of course, they are not Mafia members they are not Italian. They are just a bunch of fun-loving group of Thai assistants, who love helping their Indian Boss in a quarrel.

Nothing to see here just move along or we will charge you with =damaging Thai societies Image. 

I also say that it's unfair to say that all mafia are Italians. Just look at the tuk tuk and jet ski mafia in Phuket as two of many examples of mafia in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This word mafia keeps coming up, please for the love of Christ stop putting these Thai guys up so high, mafia my rear, thugs, gangs ok, but mafia, Italians only, not Russians, not Thai's, Italians only sta copla da minkia

The word "mafia" obviously originated in Italy as a term to describe organised Italian crime syndicates. The term has now broadened and is commonly used to describe crime syndicates anywhere, hence Russian mafia, Thai mafia, Jewish mafia.

Hope this helps ?

• Like 1

This actually sounds about right based on the earlier article reported.  But still, sending 3,000 baht or less than 100 USD.  How is he going to send it?  Western Union would charge what, 8 USD?  that's a measurable percentage.  Granted there are cheaper ways.  Having at one time been broke and jobless, I can understand how $100 bucks can be very important.

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well now i am totally confused  ( ok old age dont help)

Indian versus Indian, so how come Thais involved?

Anywhere money is involved Col Thais are involved in. Nature of the beast I afraid:WPFflags:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

He is not agreed to pay for motor cycle guy Baht-30-40, do you think he will send 3000  by paying a fee 1200 Baht ?

Most banks in Thailand are like robbers, they steal your balance for no reason.

Agreed, I tried to compare rates of Thai banks and overseas banks, 25% against 12%!!!!!

• Thanks 1

I truly wish tha the thai

s would STOP referring to their petty, cowardly gangs as mafia! they could not shine the shoes of a mafiosi and would run hell bent for their safe space! these punks are just gangs, plain and simple. John gotti would turn over in his grave seeing a bunch of punk thai's using the term.

27 minutes ago, captspectre said:

I truly wish tha the thai

s would STOP referring to their petty, cowardly gangs as mafia! they could not shine the shoes of a mafiosi and would run hell bent for their safe space! these punks are just gangs, plain and simple. John gotti would turn over in his grave seeing a bunch of punk thai's using the term.

Gotti was also just a thug. An imitation American mafia thug. 

Murder incorporated as Bruce called them.  Not mafia in the true sense. 

Edited by tryasimight

On 5/24/2018 at 4:08 PM, Juan B Tong said:

I love this kind of mayhem.  I hope there is more!

I want so much violence and police incompetence that the Army steps in and turns Pattaya into a special zone!

Then we can get rid of all the scum.

Yeah, I know what the obvious replies will be, but Pattaya needs new scum.

Perhaps you should seek help or counselling.  You seem very confused.

15 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Gotti was also just a thug. An imitation American mafia thug. 

Murder incorporated as Bruce called them.  Not mafia in the true sense. 

GOTTI! that is most certainly an irish name! the mafia has always been associated with the italians  quit trying to troll,