Any advices would be very much appreciated.

So here's my situation that is about to come..

Early next year 2019, I & my wife & 2 kids would be moving back to Thailand, Northern of Thailand to be exact. My wife is a Thai, my kids have dual citizenship and Thai being one of them. I've stayed for years in Thailand for many years, about a decade ago but under student visa and/or non-immigrant O and/or thai visa run-style (that was before military coup). But never once i've applied for work in Thailand, neither has any prior knowledge of work permit and how to obtain them.

Shall thing goes according to the plan, I & wife will start working at silver factory down in the northern of Thailand. The company has never once hired any foreigner since it started and i was one of the lucky few who got accepted to deal with international e-commerce to reach International consumers. My job does not exactly require me to be physically present at the company. I am, however, responsible to input all +20.000 variety of products into the websites (alibaba, ebay, amazon, lazada).

Now,

1. What should i do to stay a long as possible in Thailand (with my wife & kids because they will restart kindergarten due to school-transfer)?

2. What kind of visa should i acquire from Thailand embassy/consular in my country (Indonesia)? Normally i acquire Non-Immigrant O in Bali for 3 months stay and leave the country until the next homecoming. But this time i might need to stay a lot longer without the need to fly in/out of the country once in every 3 months. Even if i were to extend Non-Immigrant Visa O in Bangkok, at best i would only be getting 60 days extension. (Yes, i did it multiple times in the past). Border run would only get me 30 days at most.

3. I am unable to apply for marriage visa or for that matter, any visas with 1 year validity due to 400.000 baht bank account. Any other visa that i can apply IF my company can issue "work permit"?

4. For the company that's about to hire me, what do they need to do (any paperwork/documents) to prepare to issue the "first" work permit for myself? They have no liaison officers to help me regarding immigration matter, therefore i need to do things all by myself. They have about +200 local employees at the moment of this writing.

5. I've been told that to acquire work permit and immigration officer legalizes it, the company MUST pay me at least 40.000 baht/month for 3 consecutive months? Is this true? I highly doubt for first starter, i'll be getting 40K per month as salary.

6. For the record, my Thai wife stays and obtained 5-year stay permit through "middleman" who did all the work for a $400 in my country. At most we did was show up at the immigration office, took ID photo, & signed a document then went home and wait for the middlemen to deliver the 5-year long visa stay. Is the any possibility this practice might be available in Thailand?

I appreciate any help regarding my case.

Thank you

1/2 I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa to start with since you apparently cannot meet the 400k baht in the bank requirement for a multiple entry visa at the embassy in Jakarta  Then the 60 day extension of it.

After that you could go to the consulate in Savannakhet Laos and apply for a multiple entry non-o visa without the need for financial proof. You do not have fly out and back the get the new entries from the non-o visa they can be done at land border crossings.

3.. You would need 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. After getting the work permit you could use the income from working to meet the income requirement.

4. You should not have a problem getting a work permit since the company employees so many people. I suggest you ask the company to contact the provincial Department of Employment of the Labor ministry about what will be required for you to get a work permit.

5.There is no minimum income requirement to get a work permit. To apply for a one year extension based upon working at immigration you would need a salary of 35k baht since you are from Indonisia (other countries are higher).

6. No

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1/2 I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa to start with since you apparently cannot meet the 400k baht in the bank requirement for a multiple entry visa at the embassy in Jakarta  Then the 60 day extension of it.

After that you could go to the consulate in Savannakhet Laos and apply for a multiple entry non-o visa without the need for financial proof. You do not have fly out and back the get the new entries from the non-o visa they can be done at land border crossings.

3.. You would need 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. After getting the work permit you could use the income from working to meet the income requirement.

4. You should not have a problem getting a work permit since the company employees so many people. I suggest you ask the company to contact the provincial Department of Employment of the Labor ministry about what will be required for you to get a work permit.

5.There is no minimum income requirement to get a work permit. To apply for a one year extension based upon working at immigration you would need a salary of 35k baht since you are from Indonisia (other countries are higher).

6. No

Thank you for the briefing. For Savannakhet Laos Immigration border, would you recommend me to go alone or go with a group of expats who share the same situation? (e.g border run group from Bangkok - Laos - Bangkok). And how long would it take to apply for multiple entry non visa O? 3 working days? or just same day service? How much would it cost? Thai Baht or USD payment?

My apologize for the lack of English understanding, but this Savannaketh Consular in Laos, I should go there ONLY after my Non Immigration Visa O from Thai Consular in Bali expires, then i extend 60 days (must i do it in Bangkok or can be in other immigration offices or perhaps border?), then after i stay a total of 90 days + 60 days, i then must go to Savannaketh to get a new non-immigran visa O multiple entries? Do i get this right? And does an Indonesian require visa-on-arrival to enter Laos? I did Laos-border run once, it was back in 2010 with a group of expats and the queue at visa-on-arrival was a horrible experience. We waited hours before finally get the visa sticked to passport. I wonder if the situation is still the same nowadays.

I'm sorry for asking too much.

Best regards,

Arfandy

30 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Thank you for the briefing. For Savannakhet Laos Immigration border, would you recommend me to go alone or go with a group of expats who share the same situation? (e.g border run group from Bangkok - Laos - Bangkok). And how long would it take to apply for multiple entry non visa O? 3 working days? or just same day service? How much would it cost? Thai Baht or USD payment?

There are no organized visa runs to Savannakhet. You can do it by bus yourself from Bangkok to Mukdahan Thailand and then take the bus to Savannakhet from the same bus station you arrive at. The bus crosses the bridge from Mukdahan to Savannakhet and will wait for you while you clear immigration. You can also fly from Don Mueang airport (DMK) to Mukdahan using a fly/ride service via a regional airport and then take the bus across the bridge.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry to Laos since your are from Indonesia. See: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-exemption.html 

You apply for the visa the before 11:00 in the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon at 14:00. The fee for a multiple entry visa is 5000 baht (only baht is accepted).

30 minutes ago, arfandy said:

My apologize for the lack of English understanding, but this Savannaketh Consular in Laos, I should go there ONLY after my Non Immigration Visa O from Thai Consular in Bali expires, then i extend 60 days (must i do it in Bangkok or can be in other immigration offices or perhaps border?), then after i stay a total of 90 days + 60 days, i then must go to Savannaketh to get a new non-immigran visa O multiple entries?

You can apply for the visa at the consulate any time you want to. Your single entry visa does not have to be expired. The 60 day extension was only a suggestion to give you more time to get settled in before going for the visa. You would apply for the 60 day extension at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

• Thanks 1

The Non Imm O multi entry Visa is valid for 1 year.

Each entry allows a stay of up to 90 days.

Each 90 days can be extended by another 60 days at your local Immigration office. (1,900 baht)

If used wisely, you can remain in Thailand for up to 17 months and only do 3 border crossings, before getting a new Non Imm O ME Visa.

Example:

Visa issued 1/6/18.

Enter before date 31/5/19.

You can leave/re-enter Thailand as many times as you wish before expiry of the Visa on 31/519, but on each entry you will receive a stamp giving you permission to stay for 90 days. You then either exit/re-enter the Country again to receive another 90 day stamp, or you can extend your 90 day permission to stay by another 60 days at your local Imm office. So you could stay for 160 days before having to do a border run to obtain another 90 days.

If you exit/re-enter just before the expiry date (31/5/19) you can stay another 90 days + extend by 60 days, meaning you don't have to acquire a new Visa for almost 17 months.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for advices. I really appreciated. Last inquiry, do these documents are a must to bring/show to Savannaketh immigration?

1. My original passport & perhaps copy of it? 

2. My original marriage certificate to my Thai wife & perhaps a copy of it? (Do i need English or Thai version?

3. Land title of the place i'm currently staying? I believe it is a bluish-book or something? I dont know what it's called but it proves the house belongs to certain someone.

4. Photo ID 4x5 with red background? Or blue background? 2 pieces?

5. ID card of my wife? Birth certificates of my kids? Or maybe i should take them along with me?

6. Any other documents i might be missing?

And since i'm staying in Nan which i think about couple more hours from Laos border, shall i drive a car (because i better take my family along) can the vehicle enter Laos? If not and i believe i must park it somewhere around, is it safe enough to leave the car unattended for couple days while i/we are in Laos?

Thank you for any help.

34 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Last inquiry, do these documents are a must to bring/show to Savannaketh immigration?

Copies of all original documents (passport and marriage certificate).

3. You will only need a copy of your wife's blue house book (tambien ban) registry singed by her. It does not have to for where you are living.

4. Two 3.5 X 4.5 cm photos for the visa application form. Background is not important but white is best.

5. Copy of wife's ID card signed by her. No need for children's birth certificates.

6. 5000 baht for the fee.

Best to travel within Thailand to Mukdahan and cross the bridge there to Savannakhet. The roads in Laos are not that great.

You will need a passport for your car issued by the Department of Land transport to take it into Laos.

Probably best to take the bus across the bridge to Savannakhet.  There is secured parking on the left just before gates for the bridge in Mukdahan.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Tanoshi said:

So you could stay for 160 days before having to do a border run to obtain another 90 days.

Sorry, that should have been 150 days total, not 160.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

There are no organized visa runs to Savannakhet. You can do it by bus yourself from Bangkok to Mukdahan Thailand and then take the bus to Savannakhet from the same bus station you arrive at. The bus crosses the bridge from Mukdahan to Savannakhet and will wait for you while you clear immigration. You can also fly from Don Mueang airport (DMK) to Mukdahan using a fly/ride service via a regional airport and then take the bus across the bridge.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry to Laos since your are from Indonesia. See: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-exemption.html 

You apply for the visa the before 11:00 in the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon at 14:00. The fee for a multiple entry visa is 5000 baht (only baht is accepted).

You can apply for the visa at the consulate any time you want to. Your single entry visa does not have to be expired. The 60 day extension was only a suggestion to give you more time to get settled in before going for the visa. You would apply for the 60 day extension at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

Can i apply multiple re-entry visa in Vientiane Laos? I've just checked the Thailand map and Mukdahan & Savannaketh are further than Nong Khai & Vientiane Laos. I remember there was a Thai embassy in Vientiane back when i did visa border run with group of expats. But never went to Mukdahan.

7 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

the op wants to work in a thai silver factory , but work related to precious metal is believed to be reserved for thai nationals only ???? hence no wp ought to be issued ?

If he was making jewelry or such he would not be able to get a work permit. He can work in another job and get one.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If he was making jewelry or such he would not be able to get a work permit. He can work in another job and get one.

No, i'm not working for jewelry making. It is more of an office work (or anywhere work as long as it has internet), in fact mainly involved with online e-commerce as such alibaba, ebay, amazon, & lazada. And occasionally welcome & greet tourists from China, Korea, Japan, etc. However, i must be present at the factory for photo-taking and various of product documentation to input into these e-commerce.

Any visa is fine by me as long as it keeps me stay in Thailand for few months, repetitively until i can accumulate the necessary 400.000 baht into my bank account (minus car credit, insurance, school tuition, visa fee, travel fee, and other expenses).

I doubt my company will go through all the trouble to contact Ministry of Labor to issue me necessary documents for work permit, which mean i must rely heavily on border-run until i can prove myself worthy for long-term employment. I've just contacted Thai Embassy in Jakarta too and they required me the bank statement showing 400.000 baht at least for them to issue me 1 year multiple re-entry visa non imm O.

However, i really do appreciate for all inputs given here.

And previously someone mentioned that 90 days visa can be extended for an extra 60 days at the cost of 1900 baht at immigration office (but after that, i must go to Savannakhet consular for multiple re-entry). I will live in Nan province (about hundred km to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai). Does Nan province has immigration office to extend my single-entry visa non O to 60 days? I used to do it only in Chaeng Wattana in the past years when i lived in Saraburi. I really do hope that i dont need to travel 1600 km roundtrip just to get that 60 days extension but can do it in nearby provinces. Thank you for enlightenment.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Savannakhet is the only local place you'll get a ME Visa without proof of income.

You can cross the nearest border to your location to get another 90 day entry though.

I dont follow here. I thought that single entry non imm O can only be extended for 30 days at nearest borders. 60 days if i do it in Chaeng Wattana at the cost of 1900 baht. Please tell me more of this.

Nearest border to my place of stay is Vientiane, Laos (I will stay in Nan province). And i would really like it if i dont need to travel back and forth to Chaeng Wattana Bangkok just to get an extra 60 days and pay 1900 baht. The petrol costs me more than 2000 baht just for doing so. And i am absolutely prefer an extra 90 days via border run rather than 60 days at immigration office.

Thank you for advice.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Thank you. This is really helpful. I feel like having less burden (financially and timely) for extending another 60 days at Nan immigration rather than making the trip down to chaeng wattana.

btw, what is that 90 days reporting? I've read the page and it says "you can also do 90 days reporting.." is this the same as after my single entry non imm O visa expires, i "reported" to them and pay 1900 baht then they will issue me an additional 60 days? (or 90 days? perhaps?) OR does this mean i must "check in" to Nan Immigration as soon as i settle down things in Nan?

41 minutes ago, arfandy said:

I dont follow here. I thought that single entry non imm O can only be extended for 30 days at nearest borders. 60 days if i do it in Chaeng Wattana at the cost of 1900 baht. Please tell me more of this.

If you enter on a single entry Non Imm O Visa you will be granted permission to stay for 90 days.

You can extend that by 60 days at your local Immigration office. (Nan) 1,900 baht.

You will then have to go to the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet to obtain a 1 year multi entry Non Imm O Visa based on marriage to a Thai. 5,000 baht

Each entry allows a stay of 90 days which you can extend for another 60 days at your IO.

You will then have to cross and border to repeat the same process, any border, the nearest one to you.

90 day entry plus a 60 day extension.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Does Nan province has immigration office to extend my single-entry visa non O to 60 days?

There is a immigration office in Nan.

Nan Checkpoint
Tel.: 0-5471-1913
Fax: 0-5477-1075
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: 117 Moo 4 Amphoe Mueang Changwat Nan 55000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

btw, what is that 90 days reporting? I've read the page and it says "you can also do 90 days reporting.." is this the same as after my single entry non imm O visa expires, i "reported" to them and pay 1900 baht then they will issue me an additional 60 days? (or 90 days? perhaps?) OR does this mean i must "check in" to Nan Immigration as soon as i settle down things in Nan?

Those who stay continuously in Thailand on extensions of stay must report to Immigration every 90 days.

(Mail, online or in person)

On a Non Imm O Visa allowing stays of 90 days you won't have to make these reports.

If you visit Immigration for a 60 day extension, you have in effect also made the report.

It's nothing for you to be concerned with at this particular time.

• Like 1