Indiana middle school student shoots teacher, classmate

rooster59

Indiana middle school student shoots teacher, classmate

By Jon Herskovitz

800x800 (4).jpg

A helicopter lands near Noblesville West Middle School in Noblesville, Indiana, U.S., May 25, 2018 in this still image obtained from social media video. COURTESY CHRISTOPHER REILY/via REUTERS

(Reuters) - A student armed with two handguns shot a teacher and a fellow student at a middle school in Indiana on Friday, police said, the latest in a series of shootings at U.S. schools and colleges fuelling debate about how to keep campuses safe.

The teacher who was shot swatted the guns away from the student and wrestled him to the ground, protecting other students in his science class, witnesses told local media.

The suspect had excused himself from class at Noblesville West Middle School and came back armed with the pistols and opened fire. Police apprehended him in the classroom.

They did not provide further details on the incident or release the names of anyone who was involved.

"We do know the situation resolved extremely quickly,” Noblesville Police Chief Kevin Jowitt told reporters about the shooting at the school, which has about 1,350 students.

The incident occurred a week after a 17-year-old high school student in Santa Fe, Texas, near Houston shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers.

Local media said the Noblesville student who was shot was a 13-year-old girl.

The teacher was identified as Jason Seaman by the Indianapolis Star and other local media. Seaman's mother said on Facebook her son was shot through the abdomen, in the hip and in the forearm, and was undergoing surgery.

"Please pray for my son Jason," Kristi Seaman wrote.

The shooting occurred shortly after 9 a.m. EDT (1300 GMT) at the school about 25 miles (40 km) northeast of Indianapolis, and authorities said the school was placed on lockdown.

Student Austin Duncan said in an interview with local broadcaster WTTV that occupants of his classroom barricaded a door and huddled together in a panic during the shooting incident while a teacher grabbed a baseball bat for protection.

"All of us were crying, texting our loved ones, texting our friends," Duncan said.

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb, flying back from Europe, said in a statement that he was monitoring the situation.

"Our thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible situation," he said, adding that about 100 State Police officers had been made available to work with local responders.

After last week's Texas high school shooting, elected officials and survivors there have voiced support for gun rights.

The reaction contrasted with the response to a February shooting at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The killing of 17 teens and educators there sparked a youth-led movement calling for new restrictions on gun ownership.

After Friday's shooting, Carly Novel, a Marjory Stoneman student, tweeted: "Noblesville Middle School students I am so sorry. You are too young. We all are."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-26

Ok. it seems that one of the solutions here is to check every student with a airport style magomenter and a TSA vetting, and if need be, isolate and lock up the school like a prison, no one comes in or go out during class, only than the shooting will stop... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Or just change the gun laws.  Nah! Better to just let your kids get shot. T.I.U.S.A

You can't take away the guns my friend, it's a constitutional right to have them  .The constitution has to be changed,that would take many months if not years.Next best thing is to protect the schools. It's not going to change..Better to change to security and metal detectors. That is a good idea you had though .Check the students household,I'm sure that would be a infringement on privacy though.

Edited by riclag

It's all the guns! PERIOD!!

I remember reading somewhere that not having a gun increases your chances of survival in dangerous situations. Something about pilots downed behind  enemy lines having a better chance of survival and rescue if they got rid of their sidearm. 

Having a gun, changes your attitude. from defensive to confrontational.

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes that's the standard excuse.  I will stick with my post.  Everything can be changed but the macho cowboys of the USA like it just the way it is.  Killing your children is a price you are happy to pay.

It seems that way....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You get all these kids, who maybe have being bullied, are traumatised, perhaps have self esteem problems. Many of them work these problems out like we all did growing up. some sadly never do, and a smaller percentage that we all read in the papers and see on TV with increasing regularity , get to act on their frustrations and mental problems because guns are readily available.

Take the guns away and many of them will get over that difficult age and become normal productive adults.

Yes and more so.  These troubled kids don't have to look far for role models when it comes to shootings at schools in the USA.  The media always seems obsessed with naming the guns with great detail and explaining their capabilities.  All they need to add is.. "Available at your local store".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Is it a constitutional right to shoot teachers and students? Is it a constitutional right to give all criminals free access to all sorts of guns? That's insane. 

Only sick people(insane) kill people Protecting(security and perimeter deterrents)  schools should be a  priority.  

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

Only sick people(insane) kill people Protecting(security and perimeter deterrents)  schools should be a  priority.  

If there's no heroin, there's no addict. Same goes for guns. If guns are not available for insane people and criminals, the States would be a much better and safer place to live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

If there's no heroin, there's no addict. Same goes for guns. If guns are not available for insane people and criminals, the States would be a much better and safer place to live.

This short video explains why the right to bear arms is a Inalienable Right to Self-Defense.Most importantly, IMOP, this is why gun owners feel so strongly on possessing guns.I mean if the anti gun activist want to know why Pro Gun American's demand to protect themselves and own guns, this is it. If your dead on arrival against guns then never mind.To your first point  People that prosper from illegal drugs ,that adhere to "if there was no heroin" would never conform to this.Protect the children protect the schools

Edited by riclag

You would think that in a civilised country the people would stand behind their law enforcement to keep the peace.  In most civilised countries the need to "arm" the people would be seen as a complete failure.  I guess that the USA is just not that civilised or do they really hanker back to the uncivilised days of the wild west?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

You would think that in a civilised country the people would stand behind their law enforcement to keep the peace.  In most civilised countries the need to "arm" the people would be seen as a complete failure.  I guess that the USA is just not that civilised or do they really hanker back to the uncivilised days of the wild west?

At least 20 times the government(feds and local authorites) failed American's in just one school tragedy .I'm talking about the Stoneham HS Florida kid,  that  killed 17 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, riclag said:

You can't take away the guns my friend, it's a constitutional right to have them  .The constitution has to be changed,that would take many months if not years.Next best thing is to protect the schools. It's not going to change..Better to change to security and metal detectors. That is a good idea you had though .Check the students household,I'm sure that would be a infringement on privacy though.

If it was possible to repeal the 18th Amendment in record time (you know the one about prohibition) than it's possible to do the same with the 2nd Amendment.

Do you like your son or daughter go to school and not knowing they will come back home?

What is it with your gun lovers, not performing in bed?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

What people in other countries sometimes don't understand, or forget  is that the USA stands for United States of America. A federation of different states with different laws and different cultures. The culture in Connecticut is some different than the culture in Alabama.  There is a litle thing called states rights that is designed to prevent a tyrannical federal government,  and though these states rights  are a strength to the federal system, at times can have negative effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bandito said:

If it was possible to repeal the 18th Amendment in record time (you know the one about prohibition) than it's possible to do the same with the 2nd Amendment.

Do you like your son or daughter go to school and not knowing they will come back home?

What is it with your gun lovers, not performing in bed?

Record time was about 1 year.It took over 20 years of grass roots groups to gain any formidable  opposition to alcohol..It took well over 20 years to restore it back .

The  Prohibition laws didn't reach the desired effect of curing all the ills of society, which was what it was suppose to help ,gambling and crime etc,it made it worst.

https://www.history.com/topics/18th-and-21st-amendments

Protect the schools 

Edited by riclag

19 hours ago, riclag said:

Hereby you confirm that the USA have an overwhelming number of sick people, in contrast to other countries. De facto, not in my imagination.

BTW, here your beloved 2nd amendment: from Dec. 15, 1791 :cheesy:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.”

Wasn't that the time when the immigrated settlers fought against the English occupation forces? It took ~200 years to eliminate slavery in the USA constitution and it will take about 1,000 years to kill the 2nd amendment, if …. yes if the Americans did not yet extinguish themselves – by guns.

Edited by puck2

15 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Hereby you confirm that the USA have an overwhelming number of sick people, in contrast to other countries. De facto, not in my imagination.

BTW, here your beloved 2nd amendment: from Dec. 15, 1791 :cheesy:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.”

Wasn't that the time when the immigrated settlers fought against the English occupation forces? It took ~200 years to eliminate slavery in the USA constitution and it will take about 1,000 years to kill the 2nd amendment, if …. yes if the Americans did not yet extinguish themselves – by guns.

I refer you to post #22!  IMOP,  protecting the schools should be the priority .This thread is about a shooting in the schools,nobody talks about that. For example, in war you take over something then you build a perimeter and secure it.. Schools are soft targets now.Protect them 

Edited by riclag