Honda Monkey - a Bargian

bkmbkk

I think I found out why your wife had to pay a premium for the bike. No dealer in Phuket is currently authorized by Honda to actually sell the bike. Right now the only place you can buy it the normal way is in BKK Ekkamai district. I think the OP lives in Phuket and therefor the dealer who his wife bought it from must have sourced it from BKK outside the regular delivery mechanisms at a premium.

• 5 months later...

Update: I've had a chance to test ride the Monkey. On the one hand I'm unimpressed with the bike because of how barebones it is. The dash for example has a fuel gauge, speedo and trip meter and that's it. No clock or tach. It has no underseat storage. These are not deal breakers but the biggest omission imho is ABS. At this price point (more on that at the end), I'd really expect them to put something as essential as this on the bike. Other companies are able to put ABS on bikes for half the price. This fit-n-finish was pretty good, didn't spot any obvious cheap stuff. It rides very easily and gives you a laid back vibe. When you ride it, you just want to cruise around. Turning circle is good as well. It's light even though it's not a plastic box. For a bike its size, it rides surprisingly comfitable for someone of average falang size. Honda is selling the Monkey through dedicated showrooms which incorporate a cafe where you can get a bit of coffee and overpriced croissant or hot dog. Nothing that would make you come back there really. I get it, they are going for the lifestye marketing but is it really worth doing? I doubt it, not in this form. The showroom had a few shirts and aftermarket parts as well. The parts are pretty neat. The shirts had only supercub designs, didn't spot any for the Monkey which was weird. I would have probably bought one. Back to the bike though. My conclusion is that it's the ultimate "I have money to spend on stuff that doesn't really make sense but is still fun". It's not a very practical bike (compared to scooters), only one person can sit on it and it has no outstanding features (or less than other cheaper bikes). But it looks fanatistic and can be fun to ride. You just can't take it serious. Would I want one? You bet. Would I buy one? Nope. And here comes the showstopper: the 99k price tag is just way over the top in my opinion. There is nothing on the bike that justifies this price. It's a scooter engine and barebones tech with some nice materials but that's it. For 60k, maybe 70k (a bit more than a Click for materials), I could see them selling quite a bunch. But at the current price, I don't see them making this a success. There was noone else during the 2h or so that I spent at the showroom (I was waiting for my AT to be serviced at Bigwing). Noone checked out the bikes. The only people who went there were guys who like me brought their bikes for service/repairs and used the coupons to get a free coffee at the "Cub House". Honda is trying to make this a status symbol bike but I don't see it happening. I've seen exactly one Monkey on the roads in the past half year and that might have been OPs GF in Phuket. Honda again kinda went two-thirds of the way and is missing out on a geart opportunity imho. Reduce the price by 20-30k, offer a seat that allows for a pillion and maybe put ABS on the bike. That alone would probably make a very big difference in sales.

• Like 2

I think Eisfeld made some good points. It's worth maybe 10k more than an msx if the spec was the same. Msx is 70k so is say 80 is ok with abs. 

If I was commuting to work in Bangkok every day on a motorbike I'd probably buy one. It's cool and a bit different so I'd pay 10k over the msx for that assuming the tank is not tiny and it had abs . Anything other purpose I would buy something else. 

But not fitting abs is nuts. It's a small city bike on the msx platform which has it. Nobody is backing this thing into corners or using it on the track so why not have it? Honda really leave me scratching my head sometimes. 

I think your wife did well considering the price she paid. In Malaysia, it sells for 140k baht on the road. In the UK it retails for GBP3600 without on road cost. In the USA, it’s usd4k, again without on road cost. Stocks are very limited and trickling. People fight over it with some paying a deposit in July but haven’t even gotten it in October.
Those that have them tries to sell them for USD6-8k. It’s the same in Europe.
It’s 70 years heritage sees a lot of following from all over.
The bike itself is smooth to ride and sufficiently powered for a 110kgs rider. You have to change out the rear suspensions though.
It’s a fun and care free bike to ride.
Thailand is by far the cheapest place to buy a monkey. IMG_2005.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_2008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Honda is on purpose artificially creating scarcity, they could deliver more than the market could swallow if they wanted to. I think in Thailand it shouldn't be too difficult to get one by now. They made it really difficult to get one by limiting heavily which dealers were allowed to sell it, requiring them to build cafes etc. They played that marketing scheme too hard, priced the bike too high and now there's little demand. Or they are simply not delivering bikes. The fact is, there are none on the road and I can't see how that's good for Honda.

The bike itself is smooth to ride and sufficiently powered for a 110kgs rider. You have to change out the rear suspensions though.

That's true for virtually every scooter out there. Might as well buy a Click for half the price. It only has the looks and slightly better fit-n-finish going for it. Everything else is meh.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, eisfeld said:

Update: I've had a chance to test ride the Monkey. On the one hand I'm unimpressed with the bike because of how barebones it is. The dash for example has a fuel gauge, speedo and trip meter and that's it. No clock or tach. It has no underseat storage. These are not deal breakers but the biggest omission imho is ABS. At this price point (more on that at the end), I'd really expect them to put something as essential as this on the bike. Other companies are able to put ABS on bikes for half the price. This fit-n-finish was pretty good, didn't spot any obvious cheap stuff. It rides very easily and gives you a laid back vibe. When you ride it, you just want to cruise around. Turning circle is good as well. It's light even though it's not a plastic box. For a bike its size, it rides surprisingly comfitable for someone of average falang size. Honda is selling the Monkey through dedicated showrooms which incorporate a cafe where you can get a bit of coffee and overpriced croissant or hot dog. Nothing that would make you come back there really. I get it, they are going for the lifestye marketing but is it really worth doing? I doubt it, not in this form. The showroom had a few shirts and aftermarket parts as well. The parts are pretty neat. The shirts had only supercub designs, didn't spot any for the Monkey which was weird. I would have probably bought one. Back to the bike though. My conclusion is that it's the ultimate "I have money to spend on stuff that doesn't really make sense but is still fun". It's not a very practical bike (compared to scooters), only one person can sit on it and it has no outstanding features (or less than other cheaper bikes). But it looks fanatistic and can be fun to ride. You just can't take it serious. Would I want one? You bet. Would I buy one? Nope. And here comes the showstopper: the 99k price tag is just way over the top in my opinion. There is nothing on the bike that justifies this price. It's a scooter engine and barebones tech with some nice materials but that's it. For 60k, maybe 70k (a bit more than a Click for materials), I could see them selling quite a bunch. But at the current price, I don't see them making this a success. There was noone else during the 2h or so that I spent at the showroom (I was waiting for my AT to be serviced at Bigwing). Noone checked out the bikes. The only people who went there were guys who like me brought their bikes for service/repairs and used the coupons to get a free coffee at the "Cub House". Honda is trying to make this a status symbol bike but I don't see it happening. I've seen exactly one Monkey on the roads in the past half year and that might have been OPs GF in Phuket. Honda again kinda went two-thirds of the way and is missing out on a geart opportunity imho. Reduce the price by 20-30k, offer a seat that allows for a pillion and maybe put ABS on the bike. That alone would probably make a very big difference in sales.

Honda has taken a page out of Apple's marketing strategy...

7 hours ago, losworld said:

Honda has taken a page out of Apple's marketing strategy...

Hehe yea. Maybe a distorted third party report of a page of Apple's marketing strategy ????

Actually I think they try to copy Ducatis marketing of the Scrambler range. There they also have Scrambler cafes, a bunch of accessory parts and bikes that are a bit overpriced for what they are. But they are Ducatis and the brand makes that work. Also Ducati went the opposite direction by making the Scramblers easily obtainable. The Monkey is also retro and premium priced. A few years late to the party though and too much of a funny toy without the brand panache to be a lifestyle thing.

Honestly I am not sure what their strategy is. Similarily to what they did with their new CRF450L in EU, I don't see the market for the Monkey at the given price point and what you get for it. I guess we'll see in a years time what their sales numbers will be.

When I look at the Honda bikes that actually sell well in Thailand then it's always bikes which provide pretty good bang for the buck. The 500 series, the 650 series, NC7xx, Africa Twins, the scooters. Nobody buys the Fireblade but people pay much more for a Panigale or S1000RR or... well any other brand really. I saw more liter Gixxers than Fireblades on the roads.

Spoke to a french guy in Udon who had a Monkey amongst other bikes. He said he doesn't really use it.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 12:45 PM, thai4me said:

I think your wife did well considering the price she paid. In Malaysia, it sells for 140k baht on the road. In the UK it retails for GBP3600 without on road cost. In the USA, it’s usd4k, again without on road cost. Stocks are very limited and trickling. People fight over it with some paying a deposit in July but haven’t even gotten it in October.
Those that have them tries to sell them for USD6-8k. It’s the same in Europe.
It’s 70 years heritage sees a lot of following from all over.
It’s a fun and care free bike to ride.
Thailand is by far the cheapest place to buy a monkey. IMG_2005.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_2008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you mention changing rear suspension - Dealer called and told her to go in for a free change of rear shocks. Done !

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, eisfeld said:

Hehe yea. Maybe a distorted third party report of a page of Apple's marketing strategy ????

Actually I think they try to copy Ducatis marketing of the Scrambler range. There they also have Scrambler cafes, a bunch of accessory parts and bikes that are a bit overpriced for what they are. But they are Ducatis and the brand makes that work. Also Ducati went the opposite direction by making the Scramblers easily obtainable. The Monkey is also retro and premium priced. A few years late to the party though and too much of a funny toy without the brand panache to be a lifestyle thing.

Honestly I am not sure what their strategy is. Similarily to what they did with their new CRF450L in EU, I don't see the market for the Monkey at the given price point and what you get for it. I guess we'll see in a years time what their sales numbers will be.

When I look at the Honda bikes that actually sell well in Thailand then it's always bikes which provide pretty good bang for the buck. The 500 series, the 650 series, NC7xx, Africa Twins, the scooters. Nobody buys the Fireblade but people pay much more for a Panigale or S1000RR or... well any other brand really. I saw more liter Gixxers than Fireblades on the roads.

Spoke to a french guy in Udon who had a Monkey amongst other bikes. He said he doesn't really use it.

I am referring to overpricing to create demand for those that want to buy not only the item but the image that goes with it.  I am not saying this was the case with your wife she may have just wanted a cute bike and you already have a bimmer in the garage:)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DLock said:

Seen a couple in Chiang Mai, and when I see one available for sale, I will buy one....just because.

Well, I got some good news for you: just walk into the local dealer. He should be able to sort you out.