End 'hide and seek' Brexit approach, Barnier tells UK

rooster59

On 5/27/2018 at 11:43 AM, stephenterry said:

...and then what?

It's becoming increasingly obvious that the UK is faced with a stark choice, either tow the line drawn by assorted Brussels nominees, which will entail becoming an effective vassal of the EU administration, or walk away.

That's what.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

It's becoming increasingly obvious that the UK is faced with a stark choice, either tow the line drawn by assorted Brussels nominees, which will entail becoming an effective vassal of the EU administration, or walk away.

That's what.

Its the nature of negotiations. The stronger party get what they want.

If you don't like how this  is going, you wait until the negotiations for a free trade agreement with the US start (if this mess ever gets that far).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JAG said:

That's what.

...and then what? Clue: what would you see happening if the UK walks away?

Just now, Rally123 said:

There you go spreading doom and gloom. There's a whole world out there, outside the EU, just waiting to set up as trading partners.

Yes there is a whole world out there.

The UK is already trading with the whole world while a member of the EU.

The EU does not prevent the UK trading with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The EU does not prevent the UK trading with the rest of the world.

The EU only gives the UK trading access  to 50 ish countries outside of its borders. Whereas, as I pointed out, there's 105 ish countries waiting for Brexit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

The EU only gives the UK trading access  to 50 ish countries outside of its borders. Whereas, as I pointed out, there's 105 ish countries waiting for Brexit.

Any reputable references for this claim? EU itself has already 26 trading partners. You claim that UK trades with only 24 other countries? Care to name these countries?

Or if you mean, UK is allowed to trade only with 50 countries outside of EU, please name those countries as well. 

You can use this map as reference 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

Or if you mean, UK is allowed to trade only with 50 countries outside of EU, please name those countries as well. 

Do yer own Google-ing. Same as I had to.

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

EU itself has already 26 trading partners. You claim that UK trades with only 24 other countries?

No I didn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The UK trades with the whole world, as a member of the EU the UK enjoys access to EU trading agreements.

I'll not argue with you over this being free trade agreements or not, rather of those nations with which the UK has trading agreements through the EU, what percentage do these represent of UK trade and what percentage do they represent of world trade. 

I'll not even argue with your 105 nations, the number is an irrelevance, what matters is the size of their economies and the amount of trade the UK might do with them compared to the amount the UK already does with these nations. 

Though I do realise you got our figures from the Daily Express, so have some sympathy for your lack of understanding. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

...and then what? Clue: what would you see happening if the UK walks away?

Oh it will be a  mess. My point is that any outcome of these negotiations is going to be a mess. Barnier and co seem determined to ensure that the UK's sovereignty and economy are damaged however we leave. I frankly see little point in continuing to dance to their tune, when the end result will probably be the same whatever we do.