Alcohol ban from midnight tonight for 24 hours - lawbreakers to be jailed and/or fined

webfact

Alcohol ban from midnight tonight for 24 hours - lawbreakers to be jailed and/or fined

noalcohol.jpg

The alcohol ban for the Visakhabucha Buddhist holiday will last for 24 hours from midnight tonight until midnight on Tuesday.

The holiday is perhaps the most important Buddhist day and a national police spokesman said that the alcohol ban will be strictly enforced.

There is to be no selling or distribution of alcohol in shops, restaurants or entertainment places, reported TNA.

The only place where you can legally get a drink are in the international airports.

Those breaking the law will be fined up to 10,000 baht and/or jailed for up to six months said Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen.

Anyone who sees illegal alcohol sales can call 191 or 1599 to make a report to police.

Visakhabucha celebrates the birth, enlightenment at age 35 and death at age 80 of the Buddha. 

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-28

4 minutes ago, YouYouYou said:

Every mom and pop shop I know and go to will sell you a beer tomorrow, they're just trying to make a living, so no I won't be calling your hotline. IMO its a nanny state  law for grown thai buddhist men/women and why can't non-buddhists have a drink anyway?

Totally agree......and you can add 7/11 and Family Mart I know in some areas of Pattaya that if I needed a beer I can get one...

One could highly doubt that the shops will respect the law.

However, don't give the BiB a chance to racket any cash in the street, so obviously, don't provoke and carry your groceries with a family size bottle of Jack Daniel's well visible in the front of the bike hamper !!

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Those breaking the law will be fined up to 10,000 baht 

Anyone who sees illegal alcohol sales can call 191 or 1599 to make a report to police.

When alcohol turns into tea money. I wonder how many shop owners will call these 'emergency numbers' to get rid of their competition.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

When alcohol turns into tea money. I wonder how many shop owners will call these 'emergency numbers' to get rid of their competition.

Talking to the owner of a bar in Chiang man last night. I mentioned bars closed tomorrow night. She said don't know yet, have to talk to police, not all close.

Tea money? Or should i say alcohol money?

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Talking to the owner of a bar in Chiang man last night. I mentioned bars closed tomorrow night. She said don't know yet, have to talk to police, not all close.

Tea money? Or should i say alcohol money?

call it "Cop's Delight" their favorite cocktail...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

In the name of religion we will tell you what to do or you will go to jail. You cannot possibly think for yourself, that's not allowed. 

YUP!!!!!  It totally fits the 'discription' of being a 'Police' ('Army') State............

Not much to 'love' here anymore other than the lovely beaches and mountains.......... And the 'Poor-People'.........

2 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

Just to test this, I will go later today to the local mom/pops shop and buy 2 beers...

Maybe I should record it on my mobile phone and report it to the the police... njaaaa....:cheesy:

Just back from my morning walk ... yup!.... the offies are open too. I bought my usual 5l Mont Clair (1005 baht) successfully at 10am. I didn't really need to buy any but bought it out of spite....

• Like 1

The alcohol ban for the Visakhabucha Buddhist holiday will last for 24 hours from midnight tonight until midnight on Tuesday.

Visakhabucha celebrates the birth, enlightenment at age 35 and death at age 80 of the Buddha. 

I didn't know Buddha was an alcoholic. Well you learn something new everyday.

Edited by tukkytuktuk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

In the name of religion we will tell you what to do or you will go to jail. You cannot possibly think for yourself, that's not allowed. 

Laws made by those without a moral compass to enforce the mandates of a 'religion' that has become a bastion of internal corruption.  But hey!  Throw shopkeepers and patrons into jail. 

This is just another method of keeping the hoi polloi and the 'little people' in line.  Call the 191 'snitch line?'  I don't think so.  :glare:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First verse of "one of me poems"

Buddhas enlightenment or not

I guess life will go on at the village shop

A cement chair to put the ass

As we raise our glass.

Hic!

To clarify: ok to drink, on the street, in the restaurant, at home but forbidden to buy.  I bought some cans of beer yesterday so that i might carry them into the noodle shop after today's golf game.  Since the shop cannot sell any, i will have my beer today, even with 2 ice cubes.