Alcohol ban from midnight tonight for 24 hours - lawbreakers to be jailed and/or fined

webfact

20 hours ago, mark131v said:

'Those breaking the law will be fined up to 10,000 baht and/or jailed for up to six months said Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen'

There is absolutely no correlation within the crime committed and the sentence you 'could' receive, I state 'could' as we all know in a corrupt third world there is often the option to bribe your way out of trouble but come on, six months for having a beer on a 'Buddhist' holiday!!!!

No expert but wasn't Buddha a kind of live and let live kind of a chap, does seem slightly skewed when you can beat the living <deleted> out of somebody and receive nothing more than a B500 fine and a slap on the wrist so long as you are Thai obviously, different set of rules again if you are one of those damned interfering foreigners......

The Thai authorities have got this 100% wrong, being a non drinker, I never go to bars or clubs, but to interfere with peoples livelihoods because of religion is just plain wrong, put the politicians out of work for 24 hours unpaid every so often and see how they like it.

• Like 2

10000 baht fine and/or 6 months in jail for selling alcohol today.  What's the possible sentence for getting pissed at home then driving and killing someone?   We know that the sentence handed down for that is 500 baht and a wai, so, comparing the seriousness of the two offences, for selling alcohol, maybe they'll actually give you money?  That makes sense, because we know, of course, that no one will actually be fined 10000 baht and/or face 6 months in jail.  So quite what's the point in making such a song and dance about it? 

Apparently, they're getting more heavy-handed in enforcement. Previously, mini-marts in condo buildings were exempt from alcohol bans. Today, I walked into get a couple of Leos and there was a big sign on the freezer case saying "No Sale of Alcohol". Police must be casting wider nets for tea money.

I don't have a problem with no booze sale today but it is a fact, that Thailand is the only country claiming to be Buddhist while all other Buddhist states (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar - to start with) don't know of "no booze on Buddhist holidays". It's a local "show how powerful we are" law; obviously no other problems haunting the Land - it seems ............. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, YouYouYou said:

Every mom and pop shop I know and go to will sell you a beer tomorrow, they're just trying to make a living, so no I won't be calling your hotline. IMO its a nanny state  law for grown thai buddhist men/women and why can't non-buddhists have a drink anyway?

Well , things change, as the 2 Mom and Pop near my home do not sell alcool, today.  First time in many years that I see that happening. Probably someone reported them lately.

One of the shop is closed for the day and the other has put cardboard to hide the beer and the booze IN their store.

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

I don't have a problem with no booze sale today but it is a fact, that Thailand is the only country claiming to be Buddhist while all other Buddhist states (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar - to start with) don't know of "no booze on Buddhist holidays". It's a local "show how powerful we are" law; obviously no other problems haunting the Land - it seems ............. 

You are right, people that really practice their religion do not need law to prevent the sale of alcool. And in those other countries ,tourist can still have a beer to enjoy their holiday or decide not to drink showing respect for the local custom.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikosan said:

10000 baht fine and/or 6 months in jail for selling alcohol today.  What's the possible sentence for getting pissed at home then driving and killing someone?   We know that the sentence handed down for that is 500 baht and a wai, so, comparing the seriousness of the two offences, for selling alcohol, maybe they'll actually give you money?  That makes sense, because we know, of course, that no one will actually be fined 10000 baht and/or face 6 months in jail.  So quite what's the point in making such a song and dance about it? 

The penalty for driving with over 0.05 can be up to three months in jail or a fine of not more than B60,000, or both a fine and jail. Drunk driving charges are determined by the police, but the final penalty will be decided by the court, which could be as mentioned by the law, or some times, you may just have to do community service. Of course, the worse outcome from drinking and driving is an accident in which you kill or injure someone, which could result in much higher penalties.

Also remember it is "can be up to 10,000 Baht and or 6 months in jail." Usually they do not push the hardest sentence on you the first time.

2 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

If the inconvenience of having your beer wrapped up in newspaper is too much to bare, then why not pre-stock before hand. I always have backup booze incase of emergencies.

IMG_20180527_202158.jpg

Or you could just stay in a hotel overnight like the bloke in the picture....

23 hours ago, tomta said:

The odour of sanctity.

And what's the bet that the upper classes will refrain from enjoying the contents of their private liquor cabinets.

Sanctimonious bastards

It isnt illegal to consume alcohol, its just illegal to sell it 

It would be quite legal for the upper classes to drink from their cabinets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2018 at 5:47 PM, stephen tracy said:

In the name of religion we will tell you what to do or you will go to jail. You cannot possibly think for yourself, that's not allowed. 

Unless your of the elite class (red bull heir, Island mafia family, ect) then you may do as you please.

Kill away, but no libations.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Funny how Muslims allow non-Muslims to eat during Ramadan, but Buddhists (Thai Buddists anyway) don't allow non-Buddhists to drink alcohol during their religious days.

At least the Buddhist don't want to kill us though

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

It isnt illegal to consume alcohol, its just illegal to sell it 

It would be quite legal for the upper classes to drink from their cabinets

Exactly what I'm pointing out. Like many laws it discriminates against the poor as they cnnot afford to stock up.

Anatole France

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.'

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomta said:

Exactly what I'm pointing out. Like many laws it discriminates against the poor as they cnnot afford to stock up.

What is the difference between buying some alcohol today or yesterday ?

If some people have not got a few hundred Baht spare , then, they really should not be drinking 

34 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

At least the Buddhist don't want to kill us though

Give them time, I'm sure they'll develop into the usual chop infidel heads stage soon enough. All religions do when the headmasters get the idea to start expanding. Rohingya are already getting first taste in the neighbour.

• Like 1