Cost to repair hotel room door scratched by dog

giblet

I'm staying in a pet-friendly hotel in Bang Phli and my dog scratched the bedroom door pretty badly. Here's a photo

Is 2000 thb a reasonable charge to repair it? The owner first said 1300 and then raised it to 2000. Unfortunately we leave in the morning so can't wait to see the actual repair costs. 

The hostel costs approx 2000 per night. I've told the owner that of course we will pay any costs to repair the door, but I am not sure how much that would be. It seemed like she might not know either, which is why the price changed while we were talking about it.

I just wanted a sense of whether 2000 was a reasonable cost, because I was under the impression that one could hire a carpenter for a full day for half that. 

Edited by giblet
  • Like 1

yes, doors are among the most expensive to mess up,

i messed up a wardrobe door in home country and repairing 

doors is not a thing, they replace it.

that was around 4k baht, around 25 years ago

Edited by poanoi
  • Confused 1

Some sandpaper, some colour and a few minutes time.

1,000 baht would be more than enough. Labor is almost zero. 

Next time, you might consider walking the dog to do its business. 

Edited by jenny2017

22 minutes ago, poanoi said:

yes, doors are among the most expensive to mess up,

i messed up a wardrobe door in home country and repairing 

doors is not a thing, they replace it.

that was around 4k baht, around 25 years ago

Repairing doors? There's only a few scratches and colour gone, easy to fix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Repairing doors? There's only a few scratches and colour gone, easy to fix. 

they wouldnt be arsed with repairing doors 25 years ago,

even wardrobe doors,

what has changed since ?

Edited by poanoi

What about the time it takes to get it fixed and not being able to rent out the room for the full price? Oh, wait you don't care.

It's a one-hour job as I mentioned.

As for not being able to rent out the room: few hotels are full at this time of year.

• Like 2

I just wanted a sense of whether 2000 was a reasonable cost, because I was under the impression that one could hire a carpenter for a full day for half that.

You are absolutely correct. Less than half actually. And this is a small job that should only take an hour.

For comparison, a metal-working shop completely rebuilt and welded a metal base for my swivel armchair. It must have taken them several hours. Cost: 500B.

The varnish will smell. The job will have to be arranged and done when? Between the OP checking out and new people checking in? Hope they arrive in the evening. The new people will not want the room as it smells of varnish. If so, add that to the cost of the job, the owner's time in arranging the job, the inconvenience.

Also consider the "rule of might". If OP doesn't pay the 2000 Baht and the owner calls the police, what will happen next?

• Like 2

The varnish will smell. The job will have to be arranged and done when? Between the OP checking out and new people checking in? Hope they arrive in the evening. The new people will not want the room as it smells of varnish. If so, add that to the cost of the job, the owner's time in arranging the job, the inconvenience.

As I mentioned, which hotel is full at this time of year?

What do you think they do when rooms require other types of maintenance?

As for the owner's time, that's what being an owner means. Those who dont want to devote time to their business should not be in business.

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Some sandpaper, some colour and a few minutes time.

1,000 baht would be more than enough. Labor is almost zero. 

Next time, you might consider walking the dog to do its business. 

Rubbish.

Some colour cannot be just added to the damaged area, because it won`t match the colour of the rest of the door. Even if they manage to find the same colour or varnish, over time the paint or varnish would have faded or turned lighter on that door, so it will mean re-varnishing or painting the whole door to do a decent job. Also those scratches look quite deep, sanding them down will mean the door surface will not be even.

It`s obvious the OP must have gone out somewhere and left the dog alone in the room and the dog probably feeling scared scratched the door wanting out of there. Totally irresponsible.

The best solution is to replace the door and that`s what I would make the OP do if it were my hotel business. A good quality hotel room door, 10000 to 15000 baht that would include labour and fittings.

• Like 2

I think its fair its often hard to find a handyman to do small jobs they do charge extra for small jobs as they make more on big jobs. Just be happy you found a pet friendly hotel there are not that many of those.

• Like 1

You're lucky the repair costs were minimal, although you did get what you deserved.
It was quite idiotic of you to travel with a seemingly untrained dog.

Fortunately, there aren't many pet-friendly hotels around Bangkok.

Edited by varun

1 minute ago, petermik said:

WUFF WUFF........:cheesy:

Actually, and I wasn't going to reveal this, but I had a long discussion with the dog in question and it is adamant that it will engage the services of a legal representative and sue for neglect and the 1500 Baht "giblet" had to fork out for the door will pale in comparison to the costs they will have to pay. ?

A dog never forgets.

Just to put things into perspective, 2000 baht is about $60.  

It would cost at least that much to get someone out for an estimate back home.

Chalk it up to a learning lump, and be grateful they aren't charging for a new door.

Then move on.  Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Considering that we are not "back home" thats not putting anything into "perspective"

Regardless of the cost of repairing a door, my serenity is just as valuable here in Thailand as it is back home.  In fact, I'd say it's even more precious here, with all the other challenges of living in a foreign environment.

It's $60 for Christ's sake.  How much of your annual holiday are you willing to sacrifice, stewing over $60?

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Regardless of the cost of repairing a door, my serenity is just as valuable here in Thailand as it is back home.  In fact, I'd say it's even more precious here, with all the other challenges of living in a foreign environment.

It's $60 for Christ's sake.  How much of your annual holiday are you willing to sacrifice, stewing over $60?

Its not my door and I dint have to repair it .

It was just making the point that its irrelevant as to how much things cost "back home"