Quest: Importing used car to Thailand, requirements and regulation

hey guys!

planning to import a used car from japan for my own use,

European maker car: BMW year 2012,

I am not sure about requirements, importing tax and duties,

if anyone done this before, kindly share your experience, or any comments about this matter?

regards

This is an absolute no go! Don't waste anymore thoughts on it. The Royal Thai customs would squeeze you to dead.  Better buy a new one in Thailand, or if you can't afford a brand new one, then go for a second hand one, look here. www.one2car.com is probably the best place to look for a second hand car in Thailand.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

Echo ---  I wouldn't. 

Would have loved to bring my Toyo Landcruiser over from the sand box but once I got a look at the import tax and red tape..... meh, no thanks.  

Let go of sentimental feelings, sell it on there.  It can be tough, I know.  After following me around the world for several years, finally bit my lower lip and let go of my beloved, full size Ford Bronco when I left Guam.  Hard to watch the new owner drive it away from my house that day.   ? 

Many diplomats import cars from Japan. They have to keep the car for 5 years before they can sell it without paying custom and taxes. As most don't stay here for so long, they usually look for someone in the diplomatic community to sell to and thus bypass the whole tax and paperework. If you have personal relationship with someone in your embassy you might be able to find the car you want here in Thailand

• Like 1

About five years ago I was quoted 2.6 million Baht to import my 2001 996 C4 from the UK!. And that was using the 214 per cent tax rate as it was over ten years old. So a car worth £14000 in the UK was going to run me another £50k + to have it here in Thaisneyworld.

• Like 2

I looked into bringing my 1989 Ford LTD stretch limo from Australia, it was going to cost me $1000AUD for drive on/drive off shipping from Australia to the dock in Bangkok but then it was going to cost me 2,850,000baht to get it off the dock here, so now the car is still in Australia.

My suggestion is because of the red tape and the cost is for you to forget about the car and leave it where it is

5 minutes ago, atyclb said:

can thai nationals still bring their used personal cars from abroad nearly free of import tax?

As i understand No, I believed they changed it a few years ago when so many returned with Ferarris, Lamborginis and super-cars, and no money. many were students.

Before 2012 it could be done.. Both CBU and CKD.. At a cost of ballpark 350% of the value they assign (thai mental values) and a year of dealing with frustrating corrupt bureaucracy. I came here 2 decades back leaving an BMW 850CSi in europe ?

Since 2012 CKD is illegal and only new chassis can be legally imported. How the supercar importers are doing it god only knows as it is specifically outlawed in 2012 (I have the court papers, I had a motorcycle frame confiscated and presumably destroyed). 

There used to be 10s, maybe 100.. Grey importers.. Now theres only 1 or 2 supecar importers.. If the professional connected thais with businesses in that exact industry cant do it, you think you will.

There was another recent thread on here with a member report that he did import a car sorry cant remember his forum name (sailor...or some military person)
Took about a year and 200% tax from vague recollection.

Do not take a used car to Thailand. You have a small city car for low as 450 kbath and a isuzu truck already at about 900kbath.

It will be almost impossible to import cars here unless you have the GOOD friends on the RIGHT places.

I did update my car (Volvo) in here using parts from Europe since there were not available here. Luckely my brother in law has a garage where he maintains also vintage European cars. but else I would not be able to do so.

Thai customs are far too corrupt and make up their own rules depending on the weather of the day !!......sell your car before arriving !!...really not worth the hassle and you'll end up in paying almost the price of the car, who knows ? !

I tell everyone the same ... after it leaves your shores ... the next time that you will see it is whilst you are waiting for a bus and some customs somchai drives past ...

• Like 1

"Fagetaboutit"  buy local, if you have ordered, cancel it - the car will be stopped in Customs in LamChabang and they are ruthless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you will pay out your bunghole, and all those savings from Japanusedcars.com will fly away.   Thats before you get your 300% tax...............forum is full of sob stories,  do the research.

Edited by TunnelRat69

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, johng said:

There was another recent thread on here with a member report that he did import a car sorry cant remember his forum name (sailor...or some military person)
Took about a year and 200% tax from vague recollection.

@M1Tanker

Even if you can get it past customs you might not be able to register it. 

Customs is in in a fight with the land department as customs auctioned off some expensive seized cars and then the new owners couldn’t get plates for them. Oops! 

11 hours ago, Crash999 said:

Even if you can get it past customs you might not be able to register it. 

Customs is in in a fight with the land department as customs auctioned off some expensive seized cars and then the new owners couldn’t get plates for them. Oops! 

That scheme of auctioning off seized cars has been a farce and a nice way to launder cars with questionable origin and unpaid taxes into normal system. You'll see a nice Ferrari or Bentley missing the ecus being bought up for cheap, or if you're out bidding the 'original' owner/importer some muscled men could 'persuade' you to not continue bidding.

Also sad to see at these auctions the non-super cars that looks like it's been treasured but the owner can't afford the increasing port storage fees as their paperwork is stuck in limbo 

That scheme of auctioning off seized cars has been a farce and a nice way to launder cars with questionable origin and unpaid taxes into normal system. You'll see a nice Ferrari or Bentley missing the ecus being bought up for cheap, or if you're out bidding the 'original' owner/importer some muscled men could 'persuade' you to not continue bidding.

Also sad to see at these auctions the non-super cars that looks like it's been treasured but the owner can't afford the increasing port storage fees as their paperwork is stuck in limbo 

How many customs auto-auctions have you been to here?

Where are they?

Did you buy anything?

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

The big batch of supercars auctioned recently came from the DSI raids a while back due to underpaid taxes. There’s another batch due soon that has been put on hold due to the problems getting the cars registered. 

It has been comparatively rare for cars to be stuck in port. Getting them out of port wasn’t the issue it was registering them. 

That’s why you can see some very expensive cars driving around on red plates. Not because they want to pretend the cars are new, as anyone would know that a Gallardo for example isn’t new, it’s that they can’t get white plates.