Appealing 1 year ban for overstay

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No police report required.

Are you sure. From this page on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/replace-lost-stolen-adult-passport/

"3. Bring the following to the appointment:

• Appointment confirmation page
  • Original police report documenting the loss/theft"

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In fairness to the Op, he did mention that the Passport was stollen from his safe, which is where mine is. 

Unfortunately it seems his thieving girlfriend had access to his safe. My Wife [non-theiving] has access to our safe. 

Sorry man, up to you.  There are 1000's of stories on TV and many other sites about thefts and the overall trust.

I will always keep my important documents in a "non Thai girl access" location. Mine only.

Good luck to you hope that (non thiever) of yours never turns into a thiever.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure. From this page on the embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/replace-lost-stolen-adult-passport/

OK, do not doubt you.

I am just saying what I saw today just verbal "I lost it" nothing else.

US Embassy Bangkok 8am today.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But when going to the U.S. Dept of State website it says a police report is not mandatory.   Probably boils down to a case-by-case basis and/or is preferred....is encouraged.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

image.png.831d0d2e2ecacbc304e7d7bb721baecb.png

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

But when going to the U.S. Dept of State website it says a police report is not mandatory.   Probably boils down to a case-by-case basis and/or is preferred....is encouraged

That is worldwide info and I am sure it varies by country.

What is on the embassy website is for here. Immigration here requires a police report for a lost or stolen passport so the embassy could certainly have the same requirements.

5 hours ago, quandow said:

The word "pedantic" comes to mind. The immigration officials are generally bound by the rules and will usually err to the side of caution. I had a friend who broke his back and when it came time do do the perfunctory visa run, they showed NO mercy. He even had a Thai doctor write a letter saying this guy should NOT be moved. Immigration gave him a 7-day grace period but he still wound up having to do the visa run in extreme agony.

Like others have written, suck it up, save up for a year and come back a man wealthy in wallet and wisdom.

Why didn’t your friend get an extension on medical grounds! If he managed to get to the border it’s no wonder they didn’t show mercy.

21 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Why didn’t your friend get an extension on medical grounds! If he managed to get to the border it’s no wonder they didn’t show mercy.

If you read the story it appears that he tried, he had a letter from a Doctor which I assume that he gave to Immigration and they only gave him 7 days which as you know can only be issued at a Immigration Office within Thailand

6 hours ago, quandow said:

The word "pedantic" comes to mind. The immigration officials are generally bound by the rules and will usually err to the side of caution. I had a friend who broke his back and when it came time do do the perfunctory visa run, they showed NO mercy. He even had a Thai doctor write a letter saying this guy should NOT be moved. Immigration gave him a 7-day grace period but he still wound up having to do the visa run in extreme agony.

Like others have written, suck it up, save up for a year and come back a man wealthy in wallet and wisdom.

If you friend was in pain and he risked aggravating his injury by travelling  , he should have just overstayed for a week or two

6 hours ago, cacahootie said:

I was at the US consulate in CM a couple of months ago and overheard a gentleman trying to get his 6th replacement passport in 3 years.  The individual behind the counter had the misfortune of telling him all he could get was an emergency travel document to go back to the USA, and he could apply for a new one from home.  So it appears that for the US at least, you have to be kind of a numpty to get cut off.  Of course, having to return to the USA for a passport (which I suppose could also be denied) when you've got a life in Thailand could be a major hassle.  One of those things about living overseas that complicates our lives.

If you have a life in Thailand, it means you are a resident of Thailand and then you are entitled to get a new passport at your consulate. Is it different for USA?

If by "living overseas" you mean being a permanent tourist or similar, then yes there are a few complications.

11 hours ago, quandow said:

And hopefully he will have grown up a bit instead of behaving like a Bloody six year old !

14 hours ago, FatVern said:

My son lost his US passport and when went to get another, they made him fill out additional forms that attest to what happened. If you claim stolen you must provide a police report and they do warn you that future negligence may preclude you from obtaining another. I don’t know how they would treat another loss so soon but based on the forms we had to do, it would worry me if it were mine. 

Not saying the loss of two passports would not create some suspicion or that reporting two passports stolen would not either. Just saying that under the  circumstances I specified; he did not know the first was stolen and changed his actions when he found out about with the second one.

20 hours ago, arithai12 said:

If you have a life in Thailand, it means you are a resident of Thailand and then you are entitled to get a new passport at your consulate. Is it different for USA?

If by "living overseas" you mean being a permanent tourist or similar, then yes there are a few complications.

I have a Non-O visa and have been here a while... but I've not had to go through a passport replacement so I don't know... all I know is from overhearing this gentleman being told he'd need to return home for a new passport after having had too many overseas replacements, and I don't know his situation beyond the scant bit I overheard.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:40 PM, elviajero said:

On 5/30/2018 at 8:05 PM, darrendsd said:

If you read the story it appears that he tried, he had a letter from a Doctor which I assume that he gave to Immigration and they only gave him 7 days which as you know can only be issued at a Immigration Office within Thailand

Depends on what the doctor's letter said, I think. If it merely included some bland statement to the effect that the guy should not be moved, Immigration would presumably have been after more specific and convincing evidence of his symptons.

And, in any event, can 90-day medical (and, for that matter, other) extensions be legally obtainable from immigration offices in cases where the prospective applicant has an outstanding unused ME visa? Strikes me that we may well be here talking about an occupational hazard of staying in Thailand long-term on the basis of "perfunctory visa runs", I'm afraid!

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

And, in any event, can 90-day medical (and, for that matter, other) extensions be legally obtainable from immigration offices in cases where the prospective applicant has an outstanding unused ME visa?

That is not a problem. All extensions depend on your type of "permission to stay". In many cases, extensions are granted regardless of the type of permission to stay. Where there are restrictions, which type of visa (expired or unexpired) that was used to enter the country is not relevant, except insofar as it originally determined the type of your permission to stay. Medical extensions are possible with any permission to stay, even if you entered Thailand visa exempt.

I think the problem with the medical extension being rejected was that it was based on a letter from a random doctor. Many immigration offices are quite strict about medical extensions, and want to see a letter from a doctor at a major hospital. To be honest, if they accepted any doctor's letter, there are plenty of dodgy clinics who would do a roaring trade in 1,000 baht letters.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, Get Real said:

Yeah, but this is exactly the wrong way of using the emergency travel documents. Emergency stand for something you need quick for not get an overstay, or at least not more than maximum a few days, which both Chaeng Watthana and airport Immigration not raising any eyebrows over. 

Here you say that he waited until he had a 50 day overstay, before trying to fix his problem. His fault for beeing negligent and respectless against both himself, his company and possible family. He unfortunately got what he deserved according to laid down rules that all people already know. You can´t just wait 50 days illegally, and then think everybody is going to be happy when you want to fix your problem.

Absolutely agree. 

• 2 months later...

The lady in question obviously did not want him to leave !

FreshThaiBrit it sounds as if you have more money than common sense. 21 years of age and you are paying for you families Christmas vacation ?  A Brit living in LA missing his Thai friends. 

A passport is a serious document, you need to catch a wake up young man.