German motorcyclist injured as ten power poles fall down in Samut Songkhram

webfact

German motorcyclist injured as ten power poles fall down in Samut Songkhram

1pm.jpg

Picture: Channel 3

A German motorcyclist suffered a fractured collarbone after ten power poles fell on a seaside road in Samut Songkhram about six kilometers from Rama 2 road.

Fifty two year old Thomas Johannes Reineri was travelling from Pattaya to Hua Hin on his bike when the poles on the Klong Khon to Yee Sarn Road came crashing down in high winds.

Two pick-up trucks travelling behind him were also damaged.

Mr Reineri was admitted to Somdej Phraphuttalertla Samut Songkhram Hospital. .

The road is a popular short-cut leading to Ban Laem and Cha-Am districts.

Power outages were experienced across a wide area of Yee Sarn.

The mess was cleared up and power restored later Tuesday, reported Channel 3.

Source: Channel 3

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-30

33 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Surprised this didn't pull down every pole in the country?

I think it did. There are only 47 power poles in the entire country - judging by the way the cables droop everywhere nationwide.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, seajae said:

once again we see the "expert" thai methods of putting up power poles without the proper depth being used per the height/load factor or being concreted in place, Suppose the profits for not doing so out weigh the accidents when they come down because of it

They don´t pay for accidents! Not their fault. Here is the only factor to take into consideration, that some people just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The ones round here are  all cockeyed often  at incredible angles, only the one on my land is straight and concreted in which they were reluctant to do so i did it myself, entombed in an 90cm block of concrete.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'd suggest it's the 'usual lack of education' too.

I've asked PEA staff in the past how they knew if there might be additional stress on the pole if the cables were pulling at an angle? They said all they were ever told was to install the pole by putting it in the ground - end of story.

When I worked for British Telecom the PEU (Pole Erection Unit) staff had to know how to calculate the "pull-on-pole" as it was referred to, in order to avoid unbalanced stress.

If it was deemed to be above normal, a wire stay was fitted from the top of the pole, at an angle into the ground, to counteract the "pull" in the opposite direction. This is telecoms cable we're talking about - a lot, lot lighter than the heavier mains distribution cables.

They Don't get Paid to Think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think I will, resistance is useless. Just don't conduct yourself like that, watts wrong with you?

edit: I was going to do some vegetable gardening, but found I had a small leek to earth.

You haven't met my Mum have you, would you like to meter 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kannot said:

The ones round here are  all cockeyed often  at incredible angles, only the one on my land is straight and concreted in which they were reluctant to do so i did it myself, entombed in an 90cm block of concrete.

Are you from Norwich ?    ?

Edited by Acemaker

11 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They are building a new Dual Carriageway nearby and i have been watching the workers and having a laugh with some of them every few days. .......................................

Although its the workers job to do what they are told by their bosses .

Its the architect/planners job to consider the stability of the poles and to plan the depth of the holes , nothing to do with the workers

11 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They are building a new Dual Carriageway nearby and i have been watching the workers and having a laugh with some of them every few days. .......................................

Although its the workers job to do what they are told by their bosses .

Its the architect/planners job to consider the stability of the poles and to plan the depth of the holes , nothing to do with the workers

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Who will pay the hospital for this really unlucky young German man?

Its obviously all his fault, he will need to recompense the power company, the 2 pick-ups and whilst he's at it, the news publishing costs

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think I will, resistance is useless. Just don't conduct yourself like that, watts wrong with you?

edit: I was going to do some vegetable gardening, but found I had a small leek to earth.

Join the resistance at Watt Mahashok.

Seriously, though, I hope the gentleman comes out of this OK.  Third-world electric systems ...

image.png.cc5952025a3c2bb9cc266c91cfa69f27.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be necessary in Thailand to make all companies and private people to make them responsible for damaging; they all should have to pay for what they have caused by their "unprofessional " work or wrong doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this might be the most important education ; its just the money out of someones pocket what make them thinking!!!!!!!!!!