Let’s get more electric cars on the road

webfact

Let’s get more electric cars on the road

By The Nation

images.jpg

Greater government incentives are needed to lower EV prices and spur more purchases

There are millions of vehicles in Thailand, and due to their internal combustion engines, they contribute to air and noise pollution. Electric cars are a cleaner option for Thai roads, but there are still hurdles that need to be cleared before we can move into high gear. 

High prices are one major problem discouraging general motorists from purchasing electric vehicles (EVs). Overseas prices of popular electric cars range from less than Bt1 million to slightly over Bt1.5 million. With import and excise taxes, much higher retail prices are to be expected in the Thai market. 

The government has trimmed taxes on imported EVs to as low as zero for those coming from China, with which we have a free-trade agreement. State incentives have been offered to importers and manufacturers of EVs, including lower import and excise duties, tax exemption for machinery and materials used in their production, and exemption from corporate taxes for manufacturers. But these measures are still insufficient to lure people into buying electric cars.

The government should offer more attractive incentives to get consumers purchasing electric cars – not only tax cuts or financial benefits but also privileges such as free parking or free tolls, as is the case in some European countries, like Norway. Also, it is a good idea to have electric vehicles locally manufactured and assembled, which would help bring down the prices and make EVs a more attractive alternative for consumers.

In fact, even at the global level, electric cars are still far from popular. Last year, global sales of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) and battery electric vehicles (BEV) accounted for only 1 per cent of total passenger-vehicle sales. However, in six years, sales of EVs are expected to grow more than 30 per cent. 

Sales of PHEVs are predicted to grow from 700,000 cars in 2017 to 1.8 million in 2020 and 3.6 million in 2023, while sales of BEVs are seen increasing from 400,000 cars in 2017 to 1.5 million in 2020 and 2.8 million in 2023, according to an industry analysis. Leading manufacturers like Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, BMW, Jaguar and Tesla plan to produce dozens of electric-car models by 2025.

The Ministry of Energy’s Energy Policy and Planning Office has forecast a major expansion in the Thai EV market in the next 15 to 20 years, thanks to government incentives. Local sales of EVs are predicted to grow from 9,000 this year to 406,000 in 2028 and 1.2 million in 2036. That last figure could be higher with more attractive incentives for prospective buyers.

To really help the environment, the fully electric BEVs should be favoured. This kind of car needs no engine or fuel tank because they run entirely on electricity, while other types of EVs, even PHEVs, still have an engine and a fuel tank. A typical BEV has fewer than 50 parts, compared to more than 2,000 for a car with an internal combustion engine. Also, with no engine, it makes no noise, and there are no exhaust fumes from internal combustion.

Regarding concerns about running out of power while driving long distances, the government should encourage private firms to set up charging stations everywhere in the provinces. But there must be guidelines and requirements to control the quality and standards. Thanks to improved technology, EV batteries can now store more power for a longer period.

Petroleum giant PTT Group is shifting towards electric cars. It is considering becoming a dealer for EVs and making batteries to power EVs. The government, as a major shareholder in the company, should be encouraging this shift to steer Thailand towards a future with less pollution. At present, the world is turning towards electricity, and away from petroleum.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30346644

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-31

My friend nearly got run over by one in Perth, WA last week.. Didn't hear it coming ?

Maybe should have looked but it's natural to use hearing as a big part of our early warning system, so introducing near silent transport, is a recipe for disaster !!

Good way to control over population though..

• Haha 2

It's spooky, the lack of noise...

I was in Tokyo last year, in the middle of the city at about 7pm and couldn't work out what was wrong..

Took me a while to realise that there was no traffic noise, yet cars everywhere !!! Freaked me out a little bit ?

• Haha 1

Let's get less cars on the road, electric or otherwise. Getting more folks to get around on two wheels, gasoline, electric, or human powered would do much to reduce congestion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aj Mick said:

Let's get less cars on the road, electric or otherwise. Getting more folks to get around on two wheels, gasoline, electric, or human powered would do much to reduce congestion.

I concur.. Electric bicycles are the way forward.. Bit of exercise but no struggling up hills, winner winner...

• Thanks 1

electric bicycles & bikes are better 1st choice,

scooters and their replacement usually travel short distances.

the import/transport cost is the biggest hurdle to make the change happen,

i have been in lengthy talks with a chinese bicycle manufacturer,

and the cost can nearly be halved if i buy 10 or more, as oppose to 1.

Argghh, did I really spell "hear" as "here", brain out of gear.

Apparently, the "noise" will be simple white-noise as opposed to the dreadful (lovely to Thais) cacophony forseen by Bluesofa.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

My mind's on overtime now trying work out if there might an option to select what noise your EV makes.

What will you be able to choose from? Perhaps:

traditional car engine, steam railway engine, ticking clock, a cow farting, Hotel California, at Christmas: Jingle Bells, or an abusive option: Get out of the bloody way you stupid idiot, are you blind!

LOS for sure would be Hotel California.

Has anyone ever studied the environmental impact of the production of all the electricy required to re-charge vehicles and also the production of/disposal of the battery systems for electric cars. 

I don't know much about it but get the feeling hybrids might not have quite the same impact as full electric.

Any views on it out there in TV land?

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

LOS for sure would be Hotel California.

Has anyone ever studied the environmental impact of the production of all the electricy required to re-charge vehicles and also the production of/disposal of the battery systems for electric cars. 

I don't know much about it but get the feeling hybrids might not have quite the same impact as full electric.

I'm really keen on the idea of EVs. I don't deny the battery disposal is still a huge issue, as is the fact we need a better way to produce electricity to charge the EVs. Solar - so far - is nowhere near good enough to do the job completely.

I watch Fully Charged on youtube. There are reviews of EVs as well as how the technology is developing too:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fullychargedshow

(btw it's presented by Robert Llewellyn who plays Kryten in Red Dwarf)

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

There have been numerous studies done on this. The consensus seems to be that in regions where electricity is generated by coal and other "dirty" petroleum fuels the benefits of EV are (often greatly) diminished. In those regions where cleaner fuels and renewables are used the environmental and cost benefits are compounded. As for recycling batteries, lithium batteries can be smelted for recovery of nickel and cobalt. Recovering lithium is possible but more expensive.

• Like 1

Well , I'm not looking forward to get burned alive in a Lithium battery fire . (nor in a gasoline fire or LPG)

The government has trimmed taxes on imported EVs to as low as zero for those coming from China, with which we have a free-trade agreement.

This surprised me .

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I concur.. Electric bicycles are the way forward.. Bit of exercise but no struggling up hills, winner winner...

Electric bikes put you in the firing line of drugged/drunk/brainless drivers whose brakes 'fail' repeatedly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

No more so than the Honda Wave that I ride now !!

Same model as me: however the discussion is about the prospect of more two-wheeled vehicles on the road without removing villainous four-wheeled drivers first.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

My mind's on overtime now trying work out if there might an option to select what noise your EV makes.

traditional car engine, steam railway engine, ticking clock, a cow farting, Hotel California, at Christmas: Jingle Bells, or an abusive option: Get out of the bloody way you stupid idiot, are you blind!

Your Xmas music choice? May I correct you in a small way. If you listen carefully in any Mall you will realise it's Jinger Ben.

?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Your Xmas music choice? May I correct you in a small way. If you listen carefully in any Mall you will realise it's Jinger Ben.

?

You correct away, no problem!

I considered the Thai spelling, but thought if I did that, newbies being here only five minutes would probably comment Jinger Ben was a misprit.

It does always remind of Roger Crutchley's column (no double entendre intended there, missus).

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

If Thailand, definitely jingen ben. 

Thailand can surrender the fantasy, the infer-structure couldn't handle it and will never be able to handle it without many many billions being spent. 

Bloody hell, they can't even organise an election so can see them completely rebuilding the power and distribution  system - but then Thai electricity is different, so maybe it will be easy - just run a few wires along the ground, a couple of rolls of electric tape and away we go - problem solved

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

how about ''lets have fewer cars and buses on our roads''

"fewer buses"! 

So how are people going to get around? Do you hold shares in a taxi company?

Perhaps you want people to ride bikes and get wet in the monsoon. Good luck getting granny on a bike when she has to take the 2 grandkids she's looking after to the shops.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, connda said:

"Electric cars are the answer!!!" Really?

Where does the electricity come from?  Perhaps the 100% environmentally clean electricity generation plants?  ?
Where do the batteries come from?  Perhaps the 100% environmentally clean lithium battery production plants?  ?

"Use solar cells to product electricity!!!"
Where do the solar cells come from?  Perhaps the 100% environmentally clean solar cell manufacturing facilities?  ?

Electric vehicle provides the illusion of being environmentally clean.  At the end of the day they are not. 

Typical BS nonsense about being the answer to all our problems, as you said, it is not - marketing hype. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"fewer buses"! 

So how are people going to get around? Do you hold shares in a taxi company?

Perhaps you want people to ride bikes and get wet in the monsoon. Good luck getting granny on a bike when she has to take the 2 grandkids she's looking after to the shops.

haha....let me revise that post...''fewer poorly maintained public and tour buses,and more efficient buses and bus routes''i have always supported public transit.cheers

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, connda said:

Electric vehicle provides the illusion of being environmentally clean.  At the end of the day they are not. 

Electric vehicles don't pollute at point of use just move the pollution away from centres of population density and pollute other countries or areas. 

The cars themselves have to be manufactured so that is a source of pollution. The cars are not lighter so by definition just as if not worse.

Lets make the cars out of aluminium thus lighter. Aluminium manufacture is a huge energy hog. OK mostly hydro but... Plastic Oh that's oil.

Electric cars are cheaper to run because they use cheap electricity. Maybe currently but eventually....

Big industry needs big power. The day I see a solar panel factory that gets all it energy from solar power, I will be impressed.

Power electric cars with renewable? Cars are charged at night when the sun is no longer in the sky. Hmmm? 

So the only purpose of electric cars is to reduce pollution in cities. QED

Don't live in a city? Don't worry.

I'm moving to a new job. My only independent transport needs will be travelling 90kms each Saturday afternoon to run so 180kms round trip. I could use an electric car. But none available for purchase in the country I am moving to. So I'm stuck with conventional ones.

Edited by VocalNeal

So will I have to make my Roller and Bentley noisy so blind pedestrians can here them coming ??  Dont think so !  Can you imagine what the electric cars will be like when they tell a Thai man to make it noisy !!

• Haha 1