Retro Pattaya City Bus shelters...

Hi all,

Right as my first post you're probably going to immediately slate me down as an 'oddjob' !! - when you start noticing the bus shelters and not the bargirls you've probably been in Pattaya for too long right!!

But there are a few of these 'retro style' bus shelters coming in to Pattaya on Sukhumvit Rd and they really fire my imagination up for some reason, errm just something about the design and it kinda has me reminiscing to a bygone time in Pattaya City - we know Pattaya is all about the here and now but I just get this sad, lonely loner kind of spark from these bus shelters hahah!!!!

Does anybody know when they were put in? I think from mid 70's to mid 80's judging by the aluminium design and retro kinda shape and overhang, for me they are a real hidden design jewel, Pattaya heritage you wouldn't immediately think of - and I wouldn't mind one in my back garden hahahah!!

Thanks,

Alan

retro_pattaya_bus_stop.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

There's retro and there's retro ugly. That bus shelter is definitely the latter, with absolutely no redeeming features other than keeping the sun and rain off your head.

Isn,t that what the are there for.........?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

Isn,t that what the are there for.........?

Read what the OP said " Does anybody know when they were put in? I think from mid 70's to mid 80's judging by the aluminium design and retro kinda shape and overhang, for me they are a real hidden design jewel " Now do you understand my response?

15 minutes ago, Alan Whickerbasket said:

yeah yeah - you forgot to add an 'IMO' or a 'for me' there, otherwise it might come across a bit shitty.

Thx,

Alan.

"Hidden design jewel? Be hard to find anything uglier.

"Hidden design jewel? Be hard to find anything uglier." <---------> <add>  'IMO'  here.

No, but to anybody else who has been involved in/ with industrial design (like myself), you do get a sense of a particular time with these bus shelters - mid 70's to mid 80's I would 'guess' was typical of this kind of look and I like it.

Honestly I savor it - in historical terms of industrial design if nothing else (I wouldn't mind being able to replicate them in a game like 'cities skylines' either....hmmm got me thinking now).

And yeah I have been all over Thailand and done the temples, seen that e.t.c. but like these shelters - you seen one you seen 'em all!!

hahahah..

2 minutes ago, Alan Whickerbasket said:

"Hidden design jewel? Be hard to find anything uglier." <---------> <add>  'IMO'  here.

No, but to anybody else who has been involved in/ with industrial design (like myself), you do get a sense of a particular time with these bus shelters - mid 70's to mid 80's I would 'guess' was typical of this kind of look and I like it.

Honestly I savor it - in historical terms of industrial design if nothing else (I wouldn't mind being able to replicate them in a game like 'cities skylines' either....hmmm got me thinking now).

And yeah I have been all over Thailand and done the temples, seen that e.t.c. but like these shelters - you seen one you seen 'em all!!

hahahah..

I think I have a pretty good eye for what is aesthetically pleasing, and those bus shelters are a far cry from that IMO.

Give us good images of the colorful emblems. I'm an archaeology buff - maybe there's a clue in them. I assume you were referring to the 20th century with your date estimate.?

I guess they'd been in teak if 19th century, huh? (Of course they didn't exactly have buses then as we know them now, huh?).

PS: News HERE has it that 30 new shelters are to be built. Hopefully, they won't use these "retro" ones as templates (or will).

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, giddyup said:

I think I have a pretty good eye for what is aesthetically pleasing, and those bus shelters are a far cry from that IMO.

In that case you need new glasses.  I’m with the OP - top bus shelters.  I challenge anyone - nay, everyone, to show me a better bus shelter

23 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

In that case you need new glasses.  I’m with the OP - top bus shelters.  I challenge anyone - nay, everyone, to show me a better bus shelter

No accounting for taste, or lack thereof. Any of these are preferable to the Pattay monstrosity.

absolut_bloody_bus_shelter.jpg

shelter-newstead.jpg

shelter-stneots.jpg

Heritage-5-.jpg

rochester-bus-shelter-rick-urwin.jpg

Edited by giddyup

I don't think the bus shelter is that old, judging by the font used and construction (composite aluminium paneling) It's probably installed during the last mayor's Intthipol Khunpluem first term, so around 2008-2010

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No accounting for taste, or lack thereof.

I agree.  

It’s a good shelter from the rain and the sun; it doesn’t need side walls because Pattaya rarely gets typhoons or storms.  It’s easily cleaned, yet doesn’t show the grime, doesn’t block too much of the sidewalk and has space for the municipality name in bold letters to build pride in the hearts of the city residents. A top bus shelter, and one of which any town hall would be proud.  I doubt anyone will come up with an equal, though they search the world wide.

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It’s a good shelter from the rain and the sun; it doesn’t need side walls because Pattaya rarely gets typhoons or storms. 

I just gave you a few examples that make the Pattaya one look like the fugly thing it is. I don't suppose Pattaya ever gets wind with the rain that would blow right through that shelter.

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I just gave you a few examples that make the Pattaya one look like the fugly thing it is. I don't suppose Pattaya ever gets wind with the rain that would blow right through that shelter.

My apologies - I did not see the photos (or the place-holders for the photos) when viewing on my phone.  Those are nice bus shelters, and although they might lack some of the functional practicality of the Pattaya bus shelter, they make up for it with architectural vainglory.

EDIT: You could spend a week vandalising that Pattaya bus shelter and it would not look any the worse for it, while most of those examples you showed suffered even when I just thought about a pen-knife.

Edited by StreetCowboy

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

I don't think the bus shelter is that old, judging by the font used and construction (composite aluminium paneling) It's probably installed during the last mayor's Intthipol Khunpluem first term, so around 2008-2010

Agreed. The Kunplome's squandered funds on all sorts of non-essentials and fripperies during their tenure.