Major electricity disruptions hit Phuket

webfact

Major electricity disruptions hit Phuket

The Phuket News

1527840735_1-org.jpg

Major power outages in the North, Northeast and Bangkok were also felt in Phuket this afternoon (June 1) after power supply to the national grid provided by a power plant in Laos failed. Photo: PEA

PHUKET: Major power supply disruptions affecting areas of Bangkok, the Northeast and the Central Plains were also felt in Phuket as pockets across the island suffered power outages earlier today (June 1).

The power disruptions struck just after 1pm, with the officials at Thalang office of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) confirming that areas in the north of the island were affected.

The Phuket News can confirm that areas as far south as along the bypass road were also left without power.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/major-electricity-disruptions-hit-phuket-67330.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-06-01

Strange results of the networked world.

Here in Isan we depend much on electricity from Laos.

We had a couple of short down times during last month due to lightning/heavy weather.

But today not the slightest glitch.

1000 km to the south: power down :biggrin:

(the actual power plant is 1300 km from Phuket)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Here in middle of Phuket (Kathu) we have had extended blackouts often, seems like every month during 2019. Not just one-hour periods but all day. Apparently many of those are due to the electric company hauling new lines. Just turn off, no warning, sit and hope all day long or else go out and hope the gate opener battery has enough charge to open. Welcome to big tourist destination, bring your own hand fan,

Well it doesn’t seem as though the problem has been solved or is it just another power problem in Rawai? Second time today but this one is a lot longer than the first!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Jimi007 said:

Well it doesn’t seem as though the problem has been solved or is it just another power problem in Rawai?

Constantly having "power problems" here in Patong and just two days ago we had another one.

Power was off for about four hours whilst the electricity people changed yet another transformer at the bottom of my road – – this being the third transformer to blow up in five years.

During my electrical apprenticeship, I worked in a factory where we had huge transformers and we never had one blow up, and some of them were decades-old.

I don't know where they get these transformers rewound, but whoever is doing them is doing a bad job, either that or they are just not built for the load they are currently handling. Either way, it is not a good situation, but have to remember TIT. 

• Haha 1

Perhaps someone  can explain (in words suitable for the simplest understanding) something that has puzzled me for years. During one of our all-too-frequent power cuts part of the house will be blacked out completely, part will seem to be functioning normally, and part will suffer a "brown-out" - the worst bit, yet we have just a single supply coming in to the house. The brown outs are a real problem as if any machinery in those areas continues to try to operate it can be expensively damaged. Before we got wise, and switched off our water pump in any power cut, we had to replace several burnt out relays in the control box, as the pump tried to function on reduced power.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farang99 said:

Perhaps someone  can explain (in words suitable for the simplest understanding) something that has puzzled me for years. During one of our all-too-frequent power cuts part of the house will be blacked out completely, part will seem to be functioning normally, and part will suffer a "brown-out" - the worst bit, yet we have just a single supply coming in to the house. The brown outs are a real problem as if any machinery in those areas continues to try to operate it can be expensively damaged. Before we got wise, and switched off our water pump in any power cut, we had to replace several burnt out relays in the control box, as the pump tried to function on reduced power.

Sounds like you have a 3 phase power supply. The road side transform might blow one of the 3 fuses. Place irregular loads on the 3 phase transfer. Can get induction between phases. Thus one phase might be normal and the other 2 half voltage. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, LivinginKata said:

Sounds like you have a 3 phase power supply. The road side transform might blow one of the 3 fuses. Place irregular loads on the 3 phase transfer. Can get induction between phases. Thus one phase might be normal and the other 2 half voltage. 

That is the most sensible suggestion I have heard - makes sense of the varied response.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 11:23 AM, keeniau96 said:

Here in middle of Phuket (Kathu) we have had extended blackouts often, seems like every month during 2019. Not just one-hour periods but all day. Apparently many of those are due to the electric company hauling new lines. Just turn off, no warning, sit and hope all day long or else go out and hope the gate opener battery has enough charge to open. Welcome to big tourist destination, bring your own hand fan,

Maybe your time travel machine sucks up too much current?

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, keeniau96 said:

Apart from the "timewarp" error, I have to agree with this poster, however not just on the subject of installing new lines.

As a rule, there is a truck with a loudspeaker on it which circulates and warns of power outages before this work is being carried out, however it is in Thai, so maybe that's why these outages come as a surprise. Luckily the Thai lady here where I am informs me of such outages, although not always!

What is more infuriating, in my opinion, is the frequent outages due to bad maintenance or installation of the power lines, and whilst we were having some rough weather a few days ago it was interesting (from my balcony) to hear the frequent booms across Patong of what I can only think were exploding pole fuses, insulators and transformers, and indeed the same thing happened at the bottom of my road again.

It is known that the infrastructure here does not support the building growth which has taken place over the past years and that is evident in the frequent flooding, auxiliary pumps standing by the side of the road near the hospital, the smell of raw sewage emanating from drains and the frequent emptying of "black water" into the sea, so now we can add the inability of the power supply to cope, and to add to that, the inability of the electricity company to maintain their equipment.

Never mind, all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose, and the price we pay for living in "paradise".

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

What is more infuriating, in my opinion, is the frequent outages due to bad maintenance or installation of the power lines, and whilst we were having some rough weather a few days ago it was interesting (from my balcony) to hear the frequent booms across Patong of what I can only think were exploding pole fuses, insulators and transformers, and indeed the same thing happened at the bottom of my road again.

Indeed! I am infuriated! Another one of those about a minute or two power outages just messed up my 6 Tera Byte external hard drive and now it needs to be erased and reformatted, hopefully. Currently I am transferring 3.3 TB off of it to another drive, only 7 more hours to go. Then reformat and transfer it back. Ugh! I suppose better than a complete HD failure and luckily I had a 4 TB sitting around empty!

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, keeniau96 said:

Must have been some blackout its still 2018 here.