Trump calls for comedian Samantha Bee's firing after crude Ivanka slur

rooster59

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I believe the history of written, and acted, entertainment is rife with evil characters and unpleasant subjects.

Homer and William Shakespeare come to mind...

I'm not disagreeing, but I wish they made shows that uplifted the human spirit as well as about bad people. I can't think of any new ones offhand.

I think the difference with shows like Sopranos  is that they put bad people in a good light, as though it's OK to be evil, whereas in the past, bad people were not given a sympathetic portrayal.

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You're not psychic, but you claim to know that Barr was fired because she was a Trump supporter.  With zero evidence.  Come on.  Personally, I wish the networks would fire every dumbass Trump supporter, starting with Fox News.  America would be a better place.  But this episode had nothing to do with Trump.  It was all on Barr.     

How on earth could I "know"? It was, like everything people put on here an OPINION.

America would be a better place

Ah, so it's OK for you to make statements when it should be an opinion!

Pots, kettles and black come to mind.

But this episode had nothing to do with Trump.

:cheesy:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

I said what? not you?

What offends you might not be relevant. but what offends others it certainly is. You might be offended by a comedian who in the course of her job uses a slur, but others are more offended when the  clown occupying the White House demeans the office by  the use of slurs.

If a comedian should be fired by such conduct, don't you think a president should?

One is nothing to do with the other. A comedian is employed by a company that can fire them.

The president is employed by the people. He can be fired, but only by impeachment and conviction.

On 6/2/2018 at 7:02 AM, mikebike said:

The general consensus is that television is experiencing a golden age of creativity at the moment. Of course not everything will appeal to everyone, and there is still crap, but to claim there is a lack of quality programming since the Sopranos to the present is quite a stretch.

"The general consensus is that television is experiencing a golden age of creativity at the moment".

I think you should send that line to your favorite comedian.  I am sure it will get the biggest laugh of the evening

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rumak said:

"The general consensus is that television is experiencing a golden age of creativity at the moment".

I think you should send that line to your favorite comedian.  I am sure it will get the biggest laugh of the evening

Not big on current news are you...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not disagreeing, but I wish they made shows that uplifted the human spirit as well as about bad people. I can't think of any new ones offhand.

I think the difference with shows like Sopranos  is that they put bad people in a good light, as though it's OK to be evil, whereas in the past, bad people were not given a sympathetic portrayal.

I'm not really up on all current tv, but it sounds like you would enjoy the show "The Good Doctor". My wife tells me there are many other "positive" shows... TGD is the only one I've seen...

Edited by mikebike

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One is nothing to do with the other. A comedian is employed by a company that can fire them.

The president is employed by the people. He can be fired, but only by impeachment and conviction.

I wouldn't say"nothing to do with the other " I am sure if i thought a litle i could come up with some similarities. But thanks for pointing out that there are differences in the way you fire a person working in the private sector as opposed to The president. It would have never occured to me. 

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Not big on current news are you...

that comment would get the second biggest laugh of the evening,

posters on here who say things like  :    the general consensus is   OR   everybody knows that ..... OR   the

world would be much better if     blah blah blah    Current news is VERY varied depending on what channel or news org  or govt. agency TELLS you it is.   I live in my own little world and make my own decisions and form my own opinions about what I see.  

But you can go on using  "what my wife tells me"  as your source of what is true or not if you like.

I see that another poster also likes you telling me how it is .   No big deal....probably just doesn't like me.

The "current" feedback to my comments ..according to the latest figures... are far in the positive at the moment.   Your negative response and JT's are duly noted.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  I'm sure that you can link to the recording of trump actually saying that?

No need for me to do that, has already been done a couple of posts before mine.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

that comment would get the second biggest laugh of the evening,

posters on here who say things like  :    the general consensus is   OR   everybody knows that ..... OR   the

world would be much better if     blah blah blah    Current news is VERY varied depending on what channel or news org  or govt. agency TELLS you it is.   I live in my own little world and make my own decisions and form my own opinions about what I see.  

But you can go on using  "what my wife tells me"  as your source of what is true or not if you like.

I see that another poster also likes you telling me how it is .   No big deal....probably just doesn't like me.

The "current" feedback to my comments ..according to the latest figures... are far in the positive at the moment.   Your negative response and JT's are duly noted.

Oh FGS... just Google golden age of television. If you do not believe the peeps working in the industry then there really is no hope.

Also, if you are having trouble comprehending, in my discussion with tbl I clearly prefer sex/violence tv while he does not. His tastes align with my wife who has a better grasp of that type if show than I ever will.

If the roles were reversed then Trump would be trashed. About time these entitled lefty celebs stopped this BS that they are untouchable for saying whatever they want. They need reigning in as much as their opposites do. Where has the middle ground gone on things? Everyone is one extreme or the other now, not good.

5 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

If the roles were reversed then Trump would be trashed. About time these entitled lefty celebs stopped this BS that they are untouchable for saying whatever they want. They need reigning in as much as their opposites do. Where has the middle ground gone on things? Everyone is one extreme or the other now, not good.

If the roles were reversed he wouldn't have apologized and admitted being wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

You do realize that both SB and RB answer to CORPORATIONS, right?

Entitled, lefty, corporations, suckers of corporate welfare and proudly bringing you your USA govt thanks to Citizens United.

38 minutes ago, mikebike said:

You do realize that both SB and RB answer to CORPORATIONS, right?

Entitled, lefty, corporations, suckers of corporate welfare and proudly bringing you your USA govt thanks to Citizens United.

OK, fine...lefty liberal corps that believe they transcend everyone else's values and arrogantly dismiss much of society's general opinion as they have a superiority complex, can easily be included in that other than celebs. Pfft.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Sad 1