Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

On 6/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, Denim said:

I noticed that even Laughing Bird has gone up to 460 baht or thereabouts. For a while it had only gone up about 10 or 15 baht and was a better deal than a box.

Tried some Thai pineapple wine the other day but as the wife says ,

looks like piss , smells like piss and if I ever drink piss I bet that's what it will taste like.

Laughing bird is also only 1.5 liters....But I guess its cheaper than Mont Clair which now sells for a whopping 1,100 for 3 liters...

I think there is going to be a whole lot of unsold wine just sitting on stores shelves taking up room with these never ending tax increases...

Hell they can not seem to even wait 2 or 3 weeks now before the next tax increase....

Edited by fforest1

12 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I think there is going to be a whole lot of unsold wine just sitting on stores shelves taking up room with these never ending tax increases...

Hell they can not seem to even wait 2 or 3 weeks now before the next tax increase.... 

That will be a problem. If anyone is stupid enough to pay 1119 for Mont Clair it will probably be months, or years, old.

25 minutes ago, johng said:

Same "trick" they did with beer.....
reduce alcohol,reduce quantity and increase prices ?

And it is not to combat rampant alcoholism in Thailand.... Just look at the extreme low prices for local hard liquor!

28 minutes ago, johng said:

Same "trick" they did with beer.....
reduce alcohol,reduce quantity and increase prices ?

22 hours ago, Marvo said:

Anybody else noticed that a lot of the new boxes appearing on the shelves are only 10% ABV?

Interesting...……...I'll have a look when I go into Big C today.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, chris2004 said:

That will be a problem. If anyone is stupid enough to pay 1119 for Mont Clair it will probably be months, or years, old.

Wouldn't that increase the quality of the wine in question?

And it is not to combat rampant alcoholism in Thailand.... Just look at the extreme low prices for local hard liquor!

I tried some cheap Thai Vodka called
"Red Cock" I'm not sure if my (excruciating) headache next day was due to drinking most of the bottle....but most likely [emoji38]

1 hour ago, johng said:

"Red Cock" I'm not sure if my (excruciating) headache next day was due to drinking most of the bottle....but most likely emoji38.png

As long as you only had a headache and nothing like the description of the drink, then all will be well!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, johng said:

"Red Cock" I'm not sure if my (excruciating) headache next day was due to drinking most of the bottle....but most likely emoji38.png

Please don't call it vodka. It's rice moonshine. And that explains the hangover.

38 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Please don't call it vodka

Its what they call it on the label... ?

there is a "blue"  something or other too,  but after the red I'm loath to try it.

Edited by johng

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Interesting...……...I'll have a look when I go into Big C today.

Well I just realize it' what happened to Cheers beer which got only 4.8° instead of 5 or 5.5 ? Don't know if other brand had the same  adjustment. Will not be surprised if "fruit wine" had too. 

7 minutes ago, Rv Hawee said:

Well I just realize it' what happened to Cheers beer which got only 4.8° instead of 5 or 5.5 ? Don't know if other brand had the same  adjustment. Will not be surprised if "fruit wine" had too. 

Most have lowered their alcohol content   Cheers extra, Tapper and (I'm told ) San Miguel Red Horse

6%

2 hours ago, jumbo said:

Is it not only the so called fruit and blended wines that prices as raised??

So go for good wines... or whisky 

Don't see whisky as a substitute for wine.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Marvo said:

Anybody else noticed that a lot of the new boxes appearing on the shelves are only 10% ABV?

I have just come back from Big C and noticed the same, this on the boxes of Gossips and Bodegas Valley which in large numerals/letters said:  "10% Vol".

Usually it would be printed something like this: 10% Alc by vol, so the wording above is a little strange??

Both these wines come from Australia and have fruit juice added, so I had a look at the Montclair and that states 12% Alc by vol  whereas I think it used to be 13% or thereabouts, and the Peter Vella bottled wines were at 11%, so perhaps the alcohol by volume has come down?

Very strange!

• Thanks 1

Both these wines come from Australia and have fruit juice added, so I had a look at the Montclair and that states 12% Alc by vol whereas I think it used to be 13% or thereabouts, and the Peter Vella bottled wines were at 11%, so perhaps the alcohol by volume has come down?

It isn't at all complicated.

Add water = reduce alcohol = reduce tax. Also water is much cheaper than either fruit juice or wine, so the total profit increases hugely for every drop of water added. The same applies to draught beer.

Anyone who thinks that any business in Thailand is interested in anything other than the bottom line is an idiot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

.../...
Add water = reduce alcohol = reduce tax. Also water is much cheaper than either fruit juice or wine, so the total profit increases hugely for every drop of water added. The same applies to draught beer.
.../...

Adding water , more fruit juice or just let the alcoholic fermentation to be shorter ?

If someone ready to volunteer for tasting.... ? ?

Sure they did it  because the crazy new excise tax. Did the price of thai liquor up too ? I still saw villagers around drink it on evening or when going out to eat near the road.

it is actually complicated as alcohol in Thailand are not taxed by the alcohol content, but on variety of arbitrary factor from classification cost / litre amount / and %abv to the final retail price. 

Last time I checked was way before this new law

Beers seem to be define as less 7% abv and wine less than 15%abv, and there's a threshold of 'final price' where if the cost per bottle goes beyond 600 baht, another 36% tax is taken off of it, they must have tweeked the price threshold that makes bigger size bottle and cask untenable now.

There's also a calculation of 'pure' alcohol' content per litre that maybe by lowering the alchohol content can save on this bit.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I have just come back from Big C and noticed the same, this on the boxes of Gossips and Bodegas Valley which in large numerals/letters said:  "10% Vol".

Usually it would be printed something like this: 10% Alc by vol, so the wording above is a little strange??

Both these wines come from Australia and have fruit juice added, so I had a look at the Montclair and that states 12% Alc by vol  whereas I think it used to be 13% or thereabouts, and the Peter Vella bottled wines were at 11%, so perhaps the alcohol by volume has come down?

Very strange!

Wait a few more tax increases from these idiots and the boxes will read fruit juice with wine added, and be the alcohol content as beer is today, yet the price will be higher than now.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, johng said:

Most have lowered their alcohol content   Cheers extra, Tapper and (I'm told ) San Miguel Red Horse

6%

The ones you name will most probably follow suit in the near future, or have a price increase. Probably still old stock on the shelves now.

the tax on wine and recently fruit wine is simply a foreigner tax, same as anything else  foreigners like, doesn't affect y hiso Thais they will  pay regardless,money no object,  just another way of discouraging long term expats from living here along with ever changing visa laws. 

On 6/18/2018 at 2:14 PM, Marvo said:

Yes and 9% as well and still crazy prices,  about 900bht range., can't  see em selling  any of that .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Please don't call it vodka. It's rice moonshine. And that explains the hangover.

I think red cock is a rum made from sugar cane.

You are thinking of black clock.

Hmm let me rephrase that , you are referring to black clock made from rice.

It's a sign of the desperate times where us wine drinkers are looking for something else to drink other than beer, which I don't  get on with.

I've now tried everything  looking for an alternative tipple but it looks like the only sensible option is to go tea  total.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Denim said:

I've now tried everything  looking for an alternative tipple but it looks like the only sensible option is to go tea  total.

That, or buy yeast, sugar, ... just don't make the mistake of mixing them in a single container as you'd be breaking the law ?

• Haha 1