Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

This is NOT a fairy story.

Once upon a time we used to put things in paper bags. Then the big supermarket conglomerates screamed..."we want plastic bags - we want plastic bags"; "more profit - more profit".

Hooray said the Greenies and clapped in and cheered because their trees would no longer be cut down. So the paper bag people said that without the big supermarkets we can no longer afford to produce paper bags at all. So the small retailers and everyone else had to accept plastic bags. And that is how it all began.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

In the short term I feel more sad for the sea mammals.

Saw this link, I a related BBC article here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42264788

So, my interpretation:
no meat or fish that is edible in a little while.
Then, since microplastic elements will penetrate mother's milk,
in 20-40 years a bionic environmentally resistant race will emerge:
body composition 70 % water and 15 % plastic, 15 % renewable tissue and thereof hopefully a brain. 
This improvement will do away with arthritis and other wear and tear diseases.
Simultaneously it will solve the Food crisis because plastic does not need to be fed.
The (temporary) final mutation ! 

1 hour ago, masuk said:

It's got a lot to do with attitude;   canals, rivers, are seen and used as rubbish disposal areas.    A recent stay at Kuta Beach, Bali, was a wade amongst the plastic.   As the tide went out, the beach was glistening with plastic cups, bottles, bags.

In Thailand, Jom Tien (Pattaya)  was no different apart from the addition of certain rubber items.

It's little wonder that the animals who attempt to live in the ocean are dying of plastic in their guts.   

ASEAN countries need to wake up, and the use of plastic bags, cups, bottles abolished and possibly, wastewater from apartment blocks  should be processed before dumping it in the ocean.

The Gulf Middle East is no better. Back in '94-'96 I lived in Jeddah along a canal that everyone used as a garbage dump and the city had to clean it up periodically with small bulldozers.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Money first and wait till the Chinese get going then money is EVERYTHING

Chinese in Asia also generally have absolutely no regard for wild animals. And their superstitions regarding "medicines" directly cause poaching of magnificent animals such as the South American jaguar.

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

I think this is a great time in history to be alive.

We have ways of communicating with each other on a global level we never had before.

Because of that, we have an opportunity to share knowledge, expose  and stop those who are damaging Mother Earth,

and together, as all humanity, make the world a better, cleaner, more free, and more beautiful place for all life.

This truly is a great time to be alive.

Earth Cosmic Dalai Lama statement we are all one family.jpg

2 minutes ago, RickTik said:

We have ways of communicating with each other on a global level we never had before.

Because of that, we have an opportunity to share knowledge, expose  and stop those who are damaging Mother Earth,

and together, as all humanity, make the world a better, cleaner, more free, and more beautiful place for all life.

Earth Cosmic Dalai Lama statement we are all one family.jpg

Tell that to next generation 

Sometimes I wish some idiot blows a nuke and thousand to follow.

We haven't deserved any better.  I could cry...

33 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

So many immigrants want to criticise but not help, reap the personal benefits of their new country but not make sacrifices, if you choose to live here then it is as much your problem as it is someones who was born here.

What sacrifices would you suggest falang visitors (we are not immigrants) to Thailand make? I know I ask for all items in one plastic bag at a 7/11, take my own bags to Makro etc, but surely it is the Thais themselves that need educating, they are responsible for throwing their rubbish wherever they like, vacant land, canals, rivers, the ocean etc.

12 minutes ago, RickTik said:

Rose coloured glasses. I acknowledge your positive thinking, but it's not the real world.

The problem is that we face the enviromental collapse and keep on going without doing a significant change: And that's not only thailand and asia who has to do it.

But yes, there is still and ever a chance to change it. Stop using plastic as we are doing it now and as i see in thailand, nobody cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's a shame.

the next generations will have to find new methods of cleaning up the planet ; and they will! So i look anyway positive in the future with humand on this planet.

BUT WE HAVE TO START BY EVERY INDIVIDUAL TO MAKE A START AND TEACH OUR CHILDREN TO SOP IT AND TO IT BETTER THAN WE OLDIES DID IT

4 minutes ago, manhood said:

The problem is that we face the enviromental collapse and keep on going without doing a significant change: And that's not only thailand and asia who has to do it.

But yes, there is still and ever a chance to change it. Stop using plastic as we are doing it now and as i see in thailand, nobody cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's a shame.

the next generations will have to find new methods of cleaning up the planet ; and they will! So i look anyway positive in the future with humand on this planet.

BUT WE HAVE TO START BY EVERY INDIVIDUAL TO MAKE A START AND TEACH OUR CHILDREN TO SOP IT AND TO IT BETTER THAN WE OLDIES DID IT

IMO it's the oldies who care. The younger generations are so technology obsessed that they don't give a sh*t about the plastic waste that's being created. I don't see any signs of a major push by all nations to deal with the problem. The poorer nations are more concerned about just surviving, pollution and waste is very low on their agenda.

1 minute ago, maximillian said:

We as a human race, we are all guilty to a certain extend.

We are consuming far more than we should, leaving behind very big footprints.

That's the price of capitalism, consume, consume, consume.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What sacrifices would you suggest falang visitors (we are not immigrants) to Thailand make? I know I ask for all items in one plastic bag at a 7/11, take my own bags to Makro etc, but surely it is the Thais themselves that need educating, they are responsible for throwing their rubbish wherever they like, vacant land, canals, rivers, the ocean etc.

Being pro-active, in the types of ways you suggest, but to imply that because you are a foreigner and you do your bit that everything else is down to Thais is ludicrous, we make up about 2% of the population, we all have to do our bit, plenty of foreigners are not in any way responsible, in fact many say 'when in Thailand...' all too often.

And you are mistaking the foreigners intention with their legal situation, we may be "non-immigrants" in the eyes of immigration but if it is our intention to remain here permanently then we are by definition immigrants.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

take my own bags to Makro etc,

The fundamental problem with taking your own bags to Makro, Big C or Tesco Lotus in my experience, is that their Gestapo "police officers" stationed outside supermarket entrances inevitably order you to deposit said bags at the left-luggage counter!

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Being pro-active, in the types of ways you suggest, but to imply that because you are a foreigner and you do your bit that everything else is down to Thais is ludicrous, we make up about 2% of the population, we all have to do our bit, plenty of foreigners are not in any way responsible, in fact many say 'when in Thailand...' all too often.

And you are mistaking the foreigners intention with their legal situation, we may be "non-immigrants" in the eyes of immigration but if it is our intention to remain here permanently then we are by definition immigrants.

I'm still waiting to hear what you suggest that 2% of the population (the falangs) do, other than what I have already suggested. To suggest that it is not down to Thais to fix their own problems is even more ludicrous. Whether we live here "permanently" or not, falangs have no say in the running of this country.

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

We?!

Are you Thai?

It isn't necessary to be Thai to comment on this, even though the specific incident happened in Thailand. It really is "WE" when it comes to plastic pollution in the sea. Just because plastic is thrown into the sea in Thailand, doesn't mean that it stays in Thailand waters and is the cause of sea animal deaths only in Thai waters. Once in the water, plastic and other pollutants are circulated by the ocean currents. Plastic found in the middle of the Pacific originates from Asia, all three Americas, as well as all islands throughout the Pacific. Same happens to the waters surrounding Thailand. The pollution comes from Thailand, but is also comes from South Asian countries, other Southeast Asian countries, China (as a result of being washed down rivers that have their headwaters in China), Africa, and other areas. Each of us is contributing to pollution of the oceans on a global scale no matter which country we are in when we discard our waste. This is not an issue to be nationalistic about.

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Sooner or later the fish in the sea won’t be safe to eat TIT

What Fish ? There will not be any to eat, already the Thai fishing Fleets have to travel out many, many kilometers to find the fish

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The fundamental problem with taking your own bags to Makro, Big C or Tesco Lotus in my experience, is that their Gestapo "police officers" stationed outside supermarket entrances inevitably order you to deposit said bags at the left-luggage counter!

At least in Makros case, the bags you bring can be retrieved once you head for the checkout and you can then load your groceries into them.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm still waiting to hear what you suggest that 2% of the population (the falangs) do, other than what I have already suggested. To suggest that it is not down to Thais to fix their own problems is even more ludicrous. Whether we live here "permanently" or not, falangs have no say in the running of this country.

Did you understand anything I wrote?  I am saying that we should do the types of things you said you do, but that not all foreigners do, so it not fair to say it is Thai peoples problem, it is the problem of people in Thailand, sure government initiatives have the potential to have the biggest effect but we all have to do our bit, Thai's and foreigners alike. 

10 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Did you understand anything I wrote?  I am saying that we should do the types of things you said you do, but that not all foreigners do, so it not fair to say it is Thai peoples problem, it is the problem of people in Thailand, sure government initiatives have the potential to have the biggest effect but we all have to do our bit, Thai's and foreigners alike. 

I did read your post, and I repeat, even if 2% of the population are concerned enough to reduce their consumption of plastic and other waste, that still leaves 98% who don't give a sh*t. Is that clear enough for you? Are you one of those Thai apologists who refuse to admit that on the whole Thais don't give a damn about what happens to their rubbish? You only have to look at a beach after a holiday weekend and see what they leave behind. I might add that in my area every piece of vacant land is used as a dumping ground for household rubbish as well as industrial waste. I shudder to imagine what toxic materials are dumped into rivers and canals without any thought, but I suppose all that is down to the 2% to clear up?

I said it before and I say it again : The name of the game is the survival of the human species ... There are billions of planets in the universe , ( Astronomers are dicovering more and more by now ) , and many of them will carry intelligent forms of life ... some of them will be intelligent enough to not destroy their planets ecological balance and will survive and evolute .

Mankind is apparently not intelligent enough to realize that we all share the same planet , and our irresponsible behaviour will lead straight to our own extinction ...

But somewhere else they will be more intelligent ...

Evolution is adaption to an ever changing environment , but once the planets ecological system destroyed , even the greatest efforts to adapt will come too late ...

Anyway , our planet has more 5 billion years to live before the sun becomes a red giant and than implodes , that might leave enough time for another species to appear ...

FIRST OF ALL , OUR ELECTED POLITICIANS NEED TO MAKE THE PRODUCTION OF ALL TOXIC WASTE ILLEGAL , AND THAT RIGHT NOW !

But will that happen ? May be one day ... but that will be too late ...

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I did read your post, and I repeat, even if 2% of the population are concerned enough to reduce their consumption of plastic and other waste, that still leaves 98% who don't give a sh*t. Is that clear enough for you?

Not all of the 2% foreigners in Thailand do care so it is not only a Thai issue, and not all of the 98% of Thai's do not care, you must not get out much if you think they don't.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I did read your post, and I repeat, even if 2% of the population are concerned enough to reduce their consumption of plastic and other waste, that still leaves 98% who don't give a sh*t. Is that clear enough for you?

Not all of the 2% foreigners in Thailand do care so it is not only a Thai issue, and not all of the 98% of Thai's do not care, you must not get out much if you think they don't.

48 minutes ago, giddyup said:

IMO it's the oldies who care. The younger generations are so technology obsessed that they don't give a sh*t about the plastic waste that's being created. I don't see any signs of a major push by all nations to deal with the problem. The poorer nations are more concerned about just surviving, pollution and waste is very low on their agenda.

Not entirely. In UK at least after the wonderful Blue Planet 2 series of which the final episode was a shocker http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-05-25/blue-planet-2-plastic-waste-final-episode/ there are major efforts being made to at least reduce the amount of disposable plastic.

Plastic bags have not been free from large businesses in England since October 2015, and their use has plummeted  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/30/england-plastic-bag-usage-drops-85-per-cent-since-5p-charged-introduced  Wales actually beat England to it with a ban imposed in 2011.

When I go shopping here in England, I take my own bags and many of the supermarkets sell so-called "bags for life" for which you pay about 10 pence but when they're worn out, the supermarket exchanges them free. Because they're stronger, they last longer and therefore cause less pollution - as ever the best way to get people's attention is via their pockets! One also hopes that the worn bags are recycled, not dumped.  

Now, plastic cups and straws are about to be banned or at least made chargeable and efforts to reduce the sheer amount of packaging are being made.  

I'm led to believe that similar efforts are being made in Europe and Scandinavia.

Sadly though, as has been said in this thread, the biggest polluters are in Asia and time and again, one reads of plastics dumps overwhelming certain areas.

When I come to Thailand for about 2 - 3 months, I keep the 7/11, Family Mart etc bags for dirty shoes, laundry etc, but when I leave, there are always loads of them left in my room and of course, there's nowhere to recycle them whereas in UK we separate our rubbish so at least (hopefully) plastics are recycled properly. It's the contrast that really gets my attention because there are fewer and fewer bags littering the place here, whilst in Thailand, we all know that they're everywhere.

My point there is that it's a global problem that requires a global solution so educating polluters of all ages is the way forward. But of course as @giddyup said, the poorer nations have other priorities.

Archived