Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Not all of the 2% foreigners in Thailand do care so it is not only a Thai issue, and not all of the 98% of Thai's do not care, you must not get out much if you think they don't.

Get your blinkers off, you are too biased to have a serious debate.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The fundamental problem with taking your own bags to Makro, Big C or Tesco Lotus in my experience, is that their Gestapo "police officers" stationed outside supermarket entrances inevitably order you to deposit said bags at the left-luggage counter!

So fold them up into one and stick them in your pocket and IGNORE the muppet so-called security!

1 minute ago, VBF said:

So fold them up into one and stick them in your pocket and IGNORE the muppet so-called security!

I use those big multi-coloured bags you buy from the mom and pop stores, you'd need pretty big pockets to fit one in, and I usually take at least 4. They are made from plastic as well, but at least they can be used many times before the break.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Officials had to use two boats to help float the whale and put up a sun-shade to protect it. Officials from the department took turns caring for the whale around the clock, but were unable to save it.

But the officials never thought of hanging a net inbetween 2 boats and drag all the plastic out of the sea?

This is the perfect moment to really clean the sea's...

2 hours ago, mayview said:

If we have reached the point of no return and if we disappear, I would think that then there would be no method or process to clean the oceans. The suggestion is that the plastic would take thousands of years to "naturally" degrade. That would be enough time based on our understanding for the oceans and dependent life to die. Our extinction is not going to remedy the damage already done.

I don't feel that we can dismiss the younger or current generations realisation that they can commit to clearing up the damage, conserve resources, save life and environment for the continuation of life on this tiny insignificant planet that is our only home.

Sorry to say, the younger generation isn't going to save the planet but only make it worse with more population growth.  As was said the only thing that's going to help is the elimination of us humans.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

So many immigrants want to criticise but not help, reap the personal benefits of their new country but not make sacrifices, if you choose to live here then it is as much your problem as it is someones who was born here.

I dont throw  my crap out of the window/ off the bike when Im out...................I throw it onto the neighbours land when theyve gone out....so thats ok...Ive done my bit

Just now, kannot said:

I dont throw  my crap out of the window/ off the bike when Im out...................I throw it onto the neighbours land when theyve gone out....so thats ok...Ive done my bit

You've adapted well.

We hear about plastics all the time,recently maya beach is being closed to help the clean up and tourists are blamed for the corals dissapearing.

so a good programme needs to be addressed now as Asian country’s are the worst,

14 minutes ago, Box fighter said:

We hear about plastics all the time,recently maya beach is being closed to help the clean up and tourists are blamed for the corals dissapearing.

so a good programme needs to be addressed now as Asian country’s are the worst,

Tourists are being blamed, but it's the greed of certain Thai companies who let it happen in the first place! Example - certain dive companies throw their rubbish overboard, rather than disposing of it later,  whilst taking tourists out to see the beautiful coral. Anyone see the irony in that?

The reputable dive companies only throw food waste overboard and one can watch the fish scrambling to eat it before it even gets to the bottom.

WE are slowly but surely destroying the planet. This is happening all over the world. It is not so much the country of origin of the plastic as much it is the sad reality that there is no conscious effort to keep the seas clean. If it's not plastic, it's waste from ships illegally dumped, crude oil spills and runoff from factories into rivers that eventually find its way to the sea and on and on...

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

Does that mean Walking Street has to go as well??? ???

47 minutes ago, VBF said:

A tad difficult to fold up my empty rucksack and stick it in my pocket, though, unfortunately!:sad:

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

A tad difficult to fold up my empty rucksack and stick it in my pocket, though, unfortunately!:sad:

I was being a little facetious :sorry: however I do actually own a foldable rucksack - but I agree it may be a tad inconvenient for regular shopping. 

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Get your blinkers off, you are too biased to have a serious debate.

Let me make myself clear, you may do your bit, and that is great, but when you call this a Thai problem only for Thai people you are excusing foreigners from their responsibility.  There are hundreds of thousands of foreigners living in rural areas of Thailand, many just blindly doing as the locals do, burning rubbish or allowing it to blow around in the wind.  They have seen a different way but they choose to do as Thai's do when in Thailand, they could make a different decision, to lead by example.

Just to give an idea of the mentality here in Thailand to our foreign readers....

When I go to the supermarket the checkout the staff use not one not two but THREE plastic bags per four or five items. I usually repack in the trolly and give back the large amount of unnecessary bags.

Everything here is put into plastic, there's plastic blowing around in the streets. Plastic bags everywhere.

People need some EDUCATION, even the politicians demonstrate a lot of ignarence regarding many subjects.

5 minutes ago, ChaoDangChard said:

It definately can not have anything to do with local fisherman throwing plastic overboard...and no officials following up and enforcing a ban on that

10% of plastic in the sea originates from fishing boats, and the difference between plastic thrown overboard and plastic washed into the sea by a river, is that the latter stays deep under the water while the former stays on the surface, and considering that Pilot whales dive to great depths to hunt squid it is fair to assume the plastic it ate would have mostly come from land.

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Let me make myself clear, you may do your bit, and that is great, but when you call this a Thai problem only for Thai people you are excusing foreigners from their responsibility.  There are hundreds of thousands of foreigners living in rural areas of Thailand, many just blindly doing as the locals do, burning rubbish or allowing it to blow around in the wind.  They have seen a different way but they choose to do as Thai's do when in Thailand, they could make a different decision, to lead by example.

You have no idea how responsible/irresponsible the falangs (2%) who are living in Thailand are and quite frankly I'm sick of discussing something that seems to be obvious to everyone except you. Bye.

Posting this just out of interest, as it is connected, to show that, although Western governments are in their usual state of confusion, at least the topic of plastics is at least prominently on their agenda 

Disposable coffee cup bans.....     Once again showing it's a global issue,

1 hour ago, Horrible said:

Sadly, all true. They also announced that the "plastic / rubbish island" floating around somewhere in the southern hemisphere is the size of Texas. Combine that with one of the other posters comments about the plastic and trash he used to drag up with his anchor.... scary scenario.

Yes and we have not even started to talk about the air quality.

Whales are really smart, res?

Why not put pictures of dying whales regurgitating plastics on all the bags?

if that doesn’t work, jut make it illegal for the whales to eat the bags, it’s for their own good.

This must be used as headline news all over the world.

In Norway they already did microscopic tests of the ocean in the atlantic and found plastic micro particles in small fish and other life in the ocean. Which basically means your own health is at risk, you will get plastic particles from the fish you eat that could cause serious illness and possibly cancer. I do not eat a lot of fish in Thailand.

I really do not understand...they already have started to supply free small bags for vegetables in many EU supermarkets, that look and feel quite like plastic but that are 100% bio degradable.

What are the retailers waiting for to introduce these to their full line of goods ?

It is the global goods and services giants who are thus polluting by not supplying adequate biodegradable packaging..., not the people's fault.

21 hours ago, Topdoc said:

This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. Where is the leadership?

Leadership is buying subs and spending on Chinese to further pollute and destroy the country. There is no leadership

I really do not understand...they already have started to supply free small bags for vegetables in many EU supermarkets, that look and feel quite like plastic but that are 100% bio degradable.

What are the retailers waiting for to introduce these to their full line of goods ?

It is the global goods and services giants who are thus polluting by not supplying adequate biodegradable packaging..., not the people's fault.

They only sell what people want.

What are you doing to reduce the impact?

Plenty of recyclers that will buy plastic scrap.

Archived