Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

8 minutes ago, mogandave said:

They only sell what people want.

What are you doing to reduce the impact?

Plenty of recyclers that will buy plastic scrap.

You think people, consumers "want" packaging that is not recyclable ? ... Your assumptions are quite surprising.

What I am doing to reduce impact ...?...the usual attempt to make people feel guilty...I'll think it's more important on what you do not do, that reduces impact on pollution....not what you do, as everybody does not have the means to do a ping pong show on a GreenPeace boat for propaganda !!

Sorry to ask, but the baiting detectors on my window are popping up with your post !! ?...despite that I did not go fishing for a whale !! :cheesy:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think people "want" packaging that is not recyclable ? ... Your assumptions are quite surprising.

Sorry to ask, but the troll detectors on my window are popping up with your post !!

Why not answer the question rather than resorting to name calling?

I think most people want to feel good about themselves and their causes, will not actually do anything to help that inconveniences them.

No reason you (or anyone) can’t carry their bags back and forth to the grocer.

No reason you (or anyone) can’t get involved in recycling plastic.

If I remember correctly, we had biodegradable bags, and people insisted we move to plastic bags under the guise of saving the forests, which was idiotic.

Now you want to put the blame anywhere but on yourself.

I carry bags back and forth, and my family recycles virtually everything we use.

You guys Thai bashing again,,,, I tell you, this is a world wide problem.

More importantly it has nothing to do with plastic being bad, it is all about totally irresponsible

people disposing of plastic improperly & with no thought of anything except their own indolency

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Not entirely. In UK at least after the wonderful Blue Planet 2 series of which the final episode was a shocker http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-05-25/blue-planet-2-plastic-waste-final-episode/ there are major efforts being made to at least reduce the amount of disposable plastic.

Plastic bags have not been free from large businesses in England since October 2015, and their use has plummeted  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/30/england-plastic-bag-usage-drops-85-per-cent-since-5p-charged-introduced  Wales actually beat England to it with a ban imposed in 2011.

When I go shopping here in England, I take my own bags and many of the supermarkets sell so-called "bags for life" for which you pay about 10 pence but when they're worn out, the supermarket exchanges them free. Because they're stronger, they last longer and therefore cause less pollution - as ever the best way to get people's attention is via their pockets! One also hopes that the worn bags are recycled, not dumped.  

Now, plastic cups and straws are about to be banned or at least made chargeable and efforts to reduce the sheer amount of packaging are being made.  

I'm led to believe that similar efforts are being made in Europe and Scandinavia.

Sadly though, as has been said in this thread, the biggest polluters are in Asia and time and again, one reads of plastics dumps overwhelming certain areas.

When I come to Thailand for about 2 - 3 months, I keep the 7/11, Family Mart etc bags for dirty shoes, laundry etc, but when I leave, there are always loads of them left in my room and of course, there's nowhere to recycle them whereas in UK we separate our rubbish so at least (hopefully) plastics are recycled properly. It's the contrast that really gets my attention because there are fewer and fewer bags littering the place here, whilst in Thailand, we all know that they're everywhere.

My point there is that it's a global problem that requires a global solution so educating polluters of all ages is the way forward. But of course as @giddyup said, the poorer nations have other priorities.

Absolutely correct and a very good post. Up to 2 years ago I lived in Thailand 10 years (8 years Hua Hin) I now average 6 months UK and Thailand. It seems to me that the Uk is getting cleaner by the day plastic bags will soon be non existent in regards to shopping. Thailand is a beautiful country which is slowly drowning in a sea of plastic. Thais don't care, So sad.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

What sacrifices would you suggest falang visitors (we are not immigrants) to Thailand make? I know I ask for all items in one plastic bag at a 7/11, take my own bags to Makro etc, but surely it is the Thais themselves that need educating, they are responsible for throwing their rubbish wherever they like, vacant land, canals, rivers, the ocean etc.

All items in 1 bag? That will not work if you buy some items along with a 2 liter (again) plastic bottle of milk? 1 bag wouldn't be strong enough. The 7-11 mostly put 1 bag in another bag to make it more strong. They really should stop giving plastic bags.

What do you do with the bag you get from the 7-11? Throw it away or re-use it? Why not take your own bag to the 7-11?

The government should forbid every company to give free bags, like in the Netherlands (and probably there are more countries). You can still buy bags, but of course many people will now take their own from home. It's not 100%, but sure this helps. In Taiwan at the 7-11's you also need to buy a bag if you want a bag.

They should order ALL KIDS to make a pilotwhale out of clay tomorrow at school. They can bring it home to put on the table as statue.

It's really time Thailand starts cleaning up and teaches the kids how to live with nature.

All items in 1 bag? That will not work if you buy some items along with a 2 liter (again) plastic bottle of milk? 1 bag wouldn't be strong enough. The 7-11 mostly put 1 bag in another bag to make it more strong. They really should stop giving plastic bags.

What do you do with the bag you get from the 7-11? Throw it away or re-use it? Why not take your own bag to the 7-11?

The government should forbid every company to give free bags, like in the Netherlands (and probably there are more countries). You can still buy bags, but of course many people will now take their own from home. It's not 100%, but sure this helps. In Taiwan at the 7-11's you also need to buy a bag if you want a bag.

Why punish the poor?

17 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why punish the poor?

I don't get your point. Everyone has bags lying around their house, also the 'poor'.

In the 7-11's in Taiwan they charge 1 TWD (which is roughly 1.1 THB), so if they will need to buy a bag it will hardly add costs.

If we are talking about punishing the poor, you should look at all the pricefixing here in Thailand. A lot of stuff (I would say >75%) in supermarkets in Thailand is more expensive than for example in the Netherlands. A kg minced pork is more expensive here and so much other items. Now, how can that be? The Thai elite makes billions from this. The only thing cheaper in Thailand is veggies on the market!

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

I think this is one wish that will come true for you

We are in control of our own destiny, and it certainly isn't looking good for us humans

Life is a bit sad when one has to look for another planet to live on because us humans have trashed this one

6 hours ago, gestreo said:

Thai government killing Tourism, Thai Transport officials allowing none serviced trucks ,coaches  etc to kill atmosphere, Thai people leavening all their garbage from pic-nics on the beaches, garbage all around houses and on the streets (Thailand totally infested with rates & cockroaches . and of course all the boating people fishermen, drive groups, etc killing Marine life   WHAT CHANCE AS THAILAND GOT?????????  

its not just Thailand

What chance has our planet got

I don't get your point. Everyone has bags lying around their house, also the 'poor'.
In the 7-11's in Taiwan they charge 1 TWD (which is roughly 1.1 THB), so if they will need to buy a bag it will hardly add costs.

If we are talking about punishing the poor, you should look at all the pricefixing here in Thailand. A lot of stuff (I would say >75%) in supermarkets in Thailand is more expensive than for example in the Netherlands. A kg minced pork is more expensive here and so much other items. Now, how can that be? The Thai elite makes billions from this. The only thing cheaper in Thailand is veggies on the market!

So because the poor get ripped off on pork, it’s okay to rip them off on the bag as well?

If the bags hardly add cost, how does it influence people to bring their own?

If you’re rich you likely don’t care about a few Baht here or there for bags, but if you’re poor...

I think the should charge a THB50 deposit, and only allow Thais to claim the deposit back.

I think this is one wish that will come true for you
We are in control of our own destiny, and it certainly isn't looking good for us humans
Life is a bit sad when one has to look for another planet to live on because us humans have trashed this one

How are the whales going to find another planet?

Laws need to be enacted worldwide to collect all garbage and burn it. Plastic can be burned! Can't we? All the plastic burnt on land wouldn't be any hazard at all for the environment, not for the land and not for the sea, therefore also not for the fish. Please be so kind and correct me if I'm wrong. A documentary has been aired about this problem, I'm trying to find back the title.

Is anybody really surprised that this has happened in the general South East Asian area ? 
I come from a country where we are at least attempting to tackle most of the big waste issues of today..., by visiting these countries 'I am' to some extent also contributing to the huge pollution problem in SEA. 

How difficult is it to understand me when I say NO in the 7/11 to the straws, and spoons that are automatically loaded into your main plastic bag if you buy milk, yougurt, ready meals ? no matter if I say no thanks, point and say no, make a gesture to indicate No, they will not believe me that I do not want these precious additives to my shopping. Surely by now the message must be being passed on about plastic. 7/11 should change their policy to NOT automatically giving straws and spoons and let the customer ask for them if they want/need them... better still changed a couple of baht levy  for the bags like in the west , east , south, north of the planet in responsible society. But that would be a bridge too far methinks ... 

Is anybody really surprised that this has happened in the general South East Asian area ? 
I come from a country where we are at least attempting to tackle most of the big waste issues of today..., by visiting these countries 'I am' to some extent also contributing to the huge pollution problem in SEA. 

Indeed, tourism is horrendous for the environment...but let’s focus on the bags.

Yeah, most people are all for implementing laws and regulations that negatively affect other people...

Single use bags n containers..., surely we can all learn to do it differently.
I remember when George Bush's wife said "just say no to drugs"..., we used to jokingly question each other - "Have you had enough drugs ?"....., and we would all laughingly say "NO !" 
Now the import of this 'single use plastic' issue is way, way, way more crucial. Time for a people driven campaign....,
JUST SAY NO.........., TO SINGLE USE PLASTICS !! 
Plan ahead carry multi use containers and bags.
Rant over..., 

Single use bags n containers..., surely we can all learn to do it differently.

There is nothing compelling you (or anyone) to use single-use bags and containers.

When my wife gets take-out, she takes a stackable, clamp together stainless-steel food container kit. These are sold all over Thailand.

Oh, but that’s not as convenient as complaining about the government...

54 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So because the poor get ripped off on pork, it’s okay to rip them off on the bag as well?

If the bags hardly add cost, how does it influence people to bring their own?

If you’re rich you likely don’t care about a few Baht here or there for bags, but if you’re poor...

I think the should charge a THB50 deposit, and only allow Thais to claim the deposit back.

Rip them off on the bag??? 1 THB added cost? Yeah, that's a huge rip off.

"If the bags hardly add cost, how does it influence people to bring their own?"

Well, it works in many countries. In Thailand they don't even try.

"I think the should charge a THB50 deposit, and only allow Thais to claim the deposit back."

What's your point with this remark?

"I think the should charge a THB50 deposit, and only allow Thais to claim the deposit back."
What's your point with this remark?

The point is to reduce the number of plastic bags killing whales.

When I was a kid, there was a deposit on milk & pop-bottles. There were no milk or pop-bottles going to the dump. They were being used over and over.

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The point is to reduce the number of plastic bags killing whales.

When I was a kid, there was a deposit on milk & pop-bottles. There were no milk or pop-bottles going to the dump. They were being used over and over.

Understand, but why should only Thais allowed to claim the deposit back?

As mentioned before, in most countries it works to charge a small fee for bags iso giving free bags.

As for other items, Thais do collect plastic bottles etc. to sell them back.

Archived