Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

Understand, but why should only Thais allowed to claim the deposit back?
As mentioned before, in most countries it works to charge a small fee for bags iso giving free bags.
As for other items, Thais do collect plastic bottles etc. to sell them back.

Yes, tourists and rich Thais throw them down, and some poor Thai collects them up and sells them to the recycler.

The tourists want to feel like they’re “doing their part” so they try to get government to compel everyone (including the poor Thais that clean up after them) to pay for bags. So now the poor Thais cleaning up after them have to pay more, but have less to sell.

With the deposit, the rich can feel like they’re doing something to help, while they continue throwing away all their bags. But now the poor people that pick up after them get a big raise.

It’s a win-win..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The writing is on the wall - just the people that are in a position to do something about it won't because it might affect their profit margin.

Everyone is in a position to do something about it, they just need to get off their dead ash and help. The problem is that everyone wants to blame someone else.

Quit writing on the walls and start recycling.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Yes, tourists and rich Thais throw them down, and some poor Thai collects them up and sells them to the recycler.

The tourists want to feel like they’re “doing their part” so they try to get government to compel everyone (including the poor Thais that clean up after them) to pay for bags. So now the poor Thais cleaning up after them have to pay more, but have less to sell.

With the deposit, the rich can feel like they’re doing something to help, while they continue throwing away all their bags. But now the poor people that pick up after them get a big raise.

It’s a win-win..

You think only tourists and rich Thais are the ones throwing away all the garbage everywhere iso in the bins?

About 90% of the Thai people don't use gargabe bins.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Everyone is in a position to do something about it, they just need to get off their dead ash and help. The problem is that everyone wants to blame someone else.

Quit writing on the walls and start recycling.

Fair point, and we do use Macro "Big Bags", and reuse other supermarkets' plastic bags, but until the councils supply receptacles/wheelie bins for garbage, you are going to continue to see piles of rubbish at the side of the roads.

2 minutes ago, Cheops said:

You think only tourists and rich Thais are the ones throwing away all the garbage everywhere iso in the bins?

Ermm - In my neck of the woods one has to say "what garbage bins?"

Why not make an attempt to respond to what I say, rather than nit-picking and blaming others?

How do you come come up with 90%? Oh that’s right, you just pulled it out of your....

While I agree a lot of Thais litter, a lot don’t, and I think the attitude is slowly changing.

Why not try setting an example?

54 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why not make an attempt to respond to what I say, rather than nit-picking and blaming others?

How do you come come up with 90%? Oh that’s right, you just pulled it out of your....

While I agree a lot of Thais litter, a lot don’t, and I think the attitude is slowly changing.

Attitude changing? Certainly not in my neck of the woods. I see rubbish discarded on the side of roads, and dumped wherever there is some empty land where it remains until something is built there. Every time it rains the streets become flooded because the drains are clogged with rubbish. Thank goodness not all Thais litter otherwise we'd be standing on top of a mountain of garbage.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:54 AM, Topdoc said:

This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. Where is the leadership?

The leadership is in each of us. We as individulas WORLDWIDE have a responsibility to this planet, unfortunately there are too few who understand this. We [humans] are the only ones who kill everything that keeps us alive. Humanity has indeed failed.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Well, you started to respond to my post with some stupid remark about poor people.

Your posts are mainly about attacking most of the people posting here.

I don't blame others. I just wrote an observation after 13 years living in Thailand and I estimate that 90% indeed do not use garbage bins.

If you think otherwise, I think it's time for you to open your eyes.

Why do you write: "Why not try setting an example?"

My family and I do recycle and carry bags to the store.

43 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Attitude changing? Certainly not in my neck of the woods. I see rubbish discarded on the side of roads, and dumped wherever there is some empty land where it remains until something is built there. Every time it rains the streets become flooded because the drains are clogged with rubbish. Thank goodness not all Thais litter otherwise we'd be standing on top of a mountain of garbage.

As in Koh Samui?

9 hours ago, ChaoDangChard said:

It definately can not have anything to do with local fisherman throwing plastic overboard...and no officials following up and enforcing a ban on that

Local fisherman throwing plastic overboard probably contribute less than a nano percent of the waste in the sea.

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

Well, you started to respond to my post with some stupid remark about poor people.

I don't blame others. I just wrote an observation after 13 years living in Thailand and I estimate that 90% indeed do not use garbage bins.

I have spent a lot of time in Thailand and I think your percentage is off. It's more like 95%.

lots of uninformed posts here.

the plastic bags given out in shops are fine. they don't end up in the ocean by magic, teleportation and they don't grow feet to walk there either.

the reason there is so much plastics in the oceans is because people in charge of waste disposal (who often have been paid for it) just dump the trash into the ocean instead of handling it properly, because incinerators, landfills, etc. cost more money.

that is the number one cause for plastic waste in the ocean, no need to play the guilt card on the consumer.

same as for CO2 pollution, guilt card played against car drivers while approx 95% of CO2 comes from other sources such as trucks, ships, industry, domestic heating, etc...

When I was a kid, when someone talked about travelling to paradise, they were talking about islands in the Pacific Ocean like Tahiti or Bali in Asia. I just looked at a video recently made by a diver exploring the  once pristine waters of Bali here. This is more than alarming!

You call me stupid and claim I am attacking you when I call you on your made up numbers. Typical.

20 hours ago, gestreo said:

Thai government killing Tourism, Thai Transport officials allowing none serviced trucks ,coaches  etc to kill atmosphere, Thai people leavening all their garbage from pic-nics on the beaches, garbage all around houses and on the streets (Thailand totally infested with rates & cockroaches . and of course all the boating people fishermen, drive groups, etc killing Marine life   WHAT CHANCE AS THAILAND GOT?????????  

None because they can't further than their hand a few inches from their nose.

When ALL (super-) convenient stores start to charge 5 BAHT per plastic bag, the problem will become less.
Fresh water bottles in glass with deposits to pay. Ban all unnecessary plastic packaging and wraps, seals etc.

When ALL (super-) convenient stores start to charge 5 BAHT per plastic bag, the problem will become less.
Fresh water bottles in glass with deposits to pay. Ban all unnecessary plastic packaging and wraps, seals etc.

Start with banning all take-out food. People should eat food they prepare at home from fresh ingredients and compost the waste.

Should be a 50 Baht deposit on all bags and containers.

8 hours ago, manarak said:

the plastic bags given out in shops are fine. they don't end up in the ocean by magic, teleportation and they don't grow feet to walk there either.

the reason there is so much plastics in the oceans is because people in charge of waste disposal (who often have been paid for it) just dump the trash into the ocean instead of handling it properly, because incinerators, landfills, etc. cost more money.

that is the number one cause for plastic waste in the ocean, no need to play the guilt card on the consumer.

same as for CO2 pollution, guilt card played against car drivers while approx 95% of CO2 comes from other sources such as trucks, ships, industry, domestic heating, etc...

I find your post to be "uninformed".

Plastic bags given out in shops are not fine. Even India realized this and banned them.

Majority of plastic in the sea comes from rivers.

Most third world countries I have visited have little "waste disposal" services. They rake and burn or dump in the river.

As for the "guilt card" this isn't a game you know. People have to take responsibility for their consumerism. And for their use of cars and plastic bags and replacing everything instead of repairing and reusing.

9 hours ago, manarak said:

Where did you get the 95% of co2 coming from sources other than cars from?

Worldwide, transport contributes over 20% of all co2 emissions.  In the UK, over 10% is from cars alone.

16 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Where did you get the 95% of co2 coming from sources other than cars from?

Worldwide, transport contributes over 20% of all co2 emissions.  In the UK, over 10% is from cars alone.

can't find the exact source, but here is an official report for the US:

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions#transportation

28% of all greenhouse gases from transportation, where transportation includes trucks, buses, trains, planes, ships, cars...

considering the numbers of cars owned per inhabitant in the US and their intensive use, maybe it's 10% or more in the US and UK, but globally 5% seems realistic. maybe it's 6% or even 7%, but that's not really important.

17 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I find your post to be "uninformed".

Plastic bags given out in shops are not fine. Even India realized this and banned them.

Majority of plastic in the sea comes from rivers.

Most third world countries I have visited have little "waste disposal" services. They rake and burn or dump in the river.

As for the "guilt card" this isn't a game you know. People have to take responsibility for their consumerism. And for their use of cars and plastic bags and replacing everything instead of repairing and reusing.

you confirm and deny at the same time.

if they don't have waste disposal services, maybe it would be time to create some instead of picking on responsible consumers.

because *I* reuse everything I can. I am also a big fan of repairing. but nothing is more irritating than going to a shop to buy something and then to have to fork out extra for the bag. A big, nice, strong bag that I wouldn't use for trash disposal. And then how do I dispose of the trash? hmm.... oh yes, I buy extra plastic bags for trash disposal !!!  it's simply idiotic.

there are solutions, such as bio-degradable bags, why not use these in place of the older bags. heh.

and this is a game.

a political one.

there are "guilt cards", they are played by the greens in Europe for example. Many of their schemes have little benefit for the environment but fuel an endless chain of their "green businesses", taxpayers and consumers pay the cost, expensive, on what is always just a fraction of emissions / pollution.

the best things are the self-imposed sacrifices in small countries to "lead by example", while in China, India, USA, people continue to waste resources on a big scale.

I wouldn't be so critical of these "adjustment taxes" if the citizens paying them would be properly compensated with lower costs for other services or products, for example by making public transport free, financed by these taxes. But no, all these extra costs that erode the simple person's purchasing power and thus quality of life are not given back, they are never seen again.

Archived