Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

Rescued pilot whale in Songkhla dies with 8kg of plastic in stomach

n5.jpeg

An ill short-finned pilot whale found in a Songkhla canal died, apparently of obstruction by plastic bags, on Friday evening, the Marine and Coastal Resources Department has reported.

The department posted its on Facebook wall that the whale died at 4.45pm on Friday. When officials then cut open its stomach for an autopsy they found 80 plastic bags weighing about 8 kilograms inside.

The post said before the whale died, it had suffered a convulsion and vomited five plastic bags.

The whale was spotted on May 28 in Na Thap Canal in Songkhla’s Chana district, unable to swim.

Officials had to use two boats to help float the whale and put up a sun-shade to protect it. Officials from the department took turns caring for the whale around the clock, but were unable to save it.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346854

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-02

n6.jpeg

n7.jpeg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is beyond belief. I have sailed the entire South China Sea from OZ along Borneo and up to Pattaya. The plastic carpets the bottom of the ocean to the extent that it takes numerous attempts to set an anchor and when you pull anchor there's many kilos of plastic attached. The plastic you see floating is just the tip of the iceberg. Asian countries account for 60% of all plastic in the oceans.

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

And still they throw plastic bags at us, along with throw away bottles, straws and anything else plastic that is killing the seas and the enviornment for generations to come.

The majority of people here in Thailand don't appreciate, or seem to care, what they're doing, beaches are littered with plastic trash, full plastic bags are thrown into the canals, where do people think it's going to go, rubbish is discarded in piles on the streets, the list goes on, it's a crying shame.

At least tourists are being fined two thousand Baht if they're caught throwing a ciggarette end, I suppose that's a start.  

Thai government killing Tourism, Thai Transport officials allowing none serviced trucks ,coaches  etc to kill atmosphere, Thai people leavening all their garbage from pic-nics on the beaches, garbage all around houses and on the streets (Thailand totally infested with rates & cockroaches . and of course all the boating people fishermen, drive groups, etc killing Marine life   WHAT CHANCE AS THAILAND GOT?????????  

46 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think we have reached the point of no return with our destruction of this planet and it's resources. I don't see a bright future for mankind, the best thing that could happen is that we disappear as a species and let the planet recover.

If we have reached the point of no return and if we disappear, I would think that then there would be no method or process to clean the oceans. The suggestion is that the plastic would take thousands of years to "naturally" degrade. That would be enough time based on our understanding for the oceans and dependent life to die. Our extinction is not going to remedy the damage already done.

I don't feel that we can dismiss the younger or current generations realisation that they can commit to clearing up the damage, conserve resources, save life and environment for the continuation of life on this tiny insignificant planet that is our only home.

11 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

It is beyond belief. I have sailed the entire South China Sea from OZ along Borneo and up to Pattaya. The plastic carpets the bottom of the ocean to the extent that it takes numerous attempts to set an anchor and when you pull anchor there's many kilos of plastic attached. The plastic you see floating is just the tip of the iceberg. Asian countries account for 60% of all plastic in the oceans.

It's time for extinction of human kind. Stop making babies you breeders!! ?

I simply cannot believe this! Is this really true, JAZZDOG????

If it is true, it is simply horrible, horrible! I asked myself how all this plastic gets into the sea. I think the main culprits are the vessels ploughing the oceans, fishing vessels mainly, those people are completely lawless and then are the merchant fleets, everything is thrown overboard, I've been on two Swiss vessels and we did the same, not knowing what the consequences would be.

Your post is very, very alarming!

It's got a lot to do with attitude;   canals, rivers, are seen and used as rubbish disposal areas.    A recent stay at Kuta Beach, Bali, was a wade amongst the plastic.   As the tide went out, the beach was glistening with plastic cups, bottles, bags.

In Thailand, Jom Tien (Pattaya)  was no different apart from the addition of certain rubber items.

It's little wonder that the animals who attempt to live in the ocean are dying of plastic in their guts.   

ASEAN countries need to wake up, and the use of plastic bags, cups, bottles abolished and possibly, wastewater from apartment blocks  should be processed before dumping it in the ocean.

10 minutes ago, mayview said:

If we have reached the point of no return and if we disappear, I would think that then there would be no method or process to clean the oceans. The suggestion is that the plastic would take thousands of years to "naturally" degrade. That would be enough time based on our understanding for the oceans and dependent life to die. Our extinction is not going to remedy the damage already done.

I don't feel that we can dismiss the younger or current generations realisation that they can commit to clearing up the damage, conserve resources, save life and environment for the continuation of life on this tiny insignificant planet that is our only home.

Maybe the plastic will take thousands of years to degrade, but without humans the problem won't get any worse. As it stands now the problem is increasing at an alarming rate with very little being done to change anything.  I'd like to know how present or future generations are going to remove thousands of tons of plastic sitting on the ocean floors. as well as the huge islands of floating plastic, not to mention the massive dumps of unwanted computer plastics that are shipped to Africa. It would take co-operation by all nations on earth to combat the problem, and quite frankly I don't see that happening.

17 hours ago, Topdoc said:

This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. Where is the leadership?

Money first and wait till the Chinese get going then money is EVERYTHING

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Maybe the plastic will take thousands of years to degrade, but without humans the problem won't get any worse. As it stands now the problem is increasing at an alarming rate with very little being done to change anything.  I'd like to know how present or future generations are going to remove thousands of tons of plastic sitting on the ocean floors. as well as the huge islands of floating plastic, not to mention the massive dumps of unwanted computer plastics that are shipped to Africa. It would take co-operation by all nations on earth to combat the problem, and quite frankly I don't see that happening.

plate tectonics  will  devour it

21 minutes ago, mayview said:

Then let's kill off all 30+ and let younger generation sufficient time to reverse the damage.  Less population less pollution less plastics..

Just now, bkk75 said:

Then let's kill off all 30+ and let younger generation sufficient time to reverse the damage.  Less population less pollution less plastics..

You'd have to get the younger generations to give up their i phones, i pods etc, most of them would rather lose a leg.

Just now, giddyup said:

You'd have to get the younger generations to give up their i phones, i pods etc, most of them would rather lose a leg.

We're doomed lol.

Just waiting for the aliens to come harvest our resources and kill us off then.

Just now, bkk75 said:

We're doomed lol.

Just waiting for the aliens to come harvest our resources and kill us off then.

Call me a pessimist, but I think we are doomed. If there was ever a self-destructive species, it's the human race. There won't be any resources left for aliens to harvest.

36 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Don't worry their deal with Fukushima will fill the gap.

Also don't forget about massive amount nuclear waste of American, Russian, and Europeans had dumped into the ocean in the past.

A worldwide problem...! There are places that ban the use of plastic bottles, bags, straws, and styrofoam.  For example.  http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2018/05/plastic_or_paper_no_choice_anymore_under_monmouth.html

There are many companies that sell compostable biodegradable containers, etc.  How many gov't agencies, restaurants, etc. make use of these products?  

There are many things that can be done to alleviate the problem, but it seems that many companies and governments are just too lazy to pay attention and do something about it.  However, some do... Singapore fines people for putting spent chewing gum anywhere other than a bin ($100), for urinating in lifts ($500), and for failing to flush a public lavatory ($100). Spot checks are regularly made by police officers in public toilet cubicles – there is no point having a law if it’s not enforced.  Calgary can boast litter-free streets. Thousand-dollar fines for dropping cigarette butts or throwing rubbish out of a car window have had a positive impact on the city.  Thailand can be a most beautiful place and it is disheartening (to put it mildly) to see so many people who show no pride in their country.   

19 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Oh my God. What are we doing? ?

We are buying things in plastic bags and throwing them away.  Not rocket science.  This has to stop.  We have a pollution problem worldwide, not just Thailand.  Need leadership.  Years away from any progress from where I'm sitting, but you never know!  

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

We?!

Are you Thai?

So many immigrants want to criticise but not help, reap the personal benefits of their new country but not make sacrifices, if you choose to live here then it is as much your problem as it is someones who was born here.

Archived