Land Office waiver

Hello all,

My wife is about to buy some land, but apparently, I have to sign a document in person at the local Land Office that waives my right to the property. My question to anyone out there who know about this stuff is: Is it possible to sign this document at a Thai Embassy, or do I have to travel to Thailand? Also, does anyone know the name of this document?

Thank you,

Sheldon

• Like 1

If I recall correctly  it is a form stating it is her money that is being used to buy the property. It has been awhile since I have seen a copy of one.

She would have to get the form from the land office and send it to you. You could then have your signature on it notarized at a embassy.

Hello Sheldon I have had to do this a number of times. The Letter Of confirmation is much easier to fill out in Thailand if possible. It cost a bout 75 cents and 20 minutes at the land office.

Otherwise uponjoe is correct, She would have to get the form filled out by the land office , signed by your wife, copies of her passport, ID card, marriage certificate etc. Then you would have to get it notarize and  signed by the embassy/consulate.

In my experience that has not been easy. Most embassy/consulate I have contacted in the states don't even know what this is (including New York). The process for me was to get the paper notarized, then go the the city clerk to certified the notary is registered. After those two stamps, I bring it to the  embassy/consulate for the Thai stamp. If this sounds complicated and a pain, it is and it was.  

Normally  I am very relaxed and positive doing land deals but this always is the hardest part of our deals. If we are interested in a piece of land I sign off on it in Thailand before I return home. Hopefully you are close to a Consulate and have much better luck than me. 

Those land office waivers are getting increasingly popular. Easily avoided, if Farang presents documents that prove beyond any doubt that the money invested is "his". Especially important for investements that were taking place during marriage.
In case of a divorce, a savvy lawyer may use this waiver to question the established 50/50 settlement, aiming for a 70/30 spilt. Adding, that Farangs refusal may prolong divorce proceedings for up to 5 years. (scare the Wolf and empower the Rabitt).
As said, as long as the Farang can prove indisputably at the land office (before sighning anything) that the money is "his", any "waivers" should not be sighned.

Procedures can vary from Amphoe to Amphoe, from Land-office to Land-office. But generally, any "waivers" are only implemented when the counter-party specifically asks for it.

If my "counter-party" would ask me to waive any of my slim legal-rights in Thailand, I would start to take interest in the local Bus-Schedule. (Outbound, that is).
Cheers.