Is your Thai companion averse to questions?

Brunolem

My wife is always happy to go out with me and meet new people and she's not in the least uncomfortable if anything I'm the lazy one - sitting around at home and doing nothing is just not on her agenda and sometimes I wish it was.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In my opening post, I asked members to share their experience, not to rub in my face because I don't have a life as perfect as theirs!

Yeah, I agree Brunolem You are just stating your experiences I think 90% of all Farang husbands run into this. Then again you do get 10% who are just perfect. Keep talking mate say what you like OK

• Like 2

Just now, norrska said:

most likely one of the girls in the group is a sel-appointed Queen Bee and your missus would have to report to her.  Seen it time and again.

Yeah maybe Never thought of that one  I will ask her who is the Queen Bee in the group you visit.  I will get back the stock standard answer " I not understand " LOL

• Haha 1

Just imagine you have to be someone else his private translator all the time. It gets annoying, i get that so I get her aversion for asking questions for you. 

Your monk question... did you really want the monk come to your home or not. Because if she asks the question and he says yes you can't back out. Maybe she just did not want to be put in such a position. Maybe she just did not want to have the monk over. 

Just now, JAFO said:

That's it in a nutshell. 

I think what happens to many of us is we believe they understand English better than they do and so our questions become confusing.  I realized many times I asked a question that was likely outside her scope and I think it embarrasses her so she will become irritated.

Speaking fluent Thai with your partner helps but honestly not that much.  

It's blending 2 entirely different cultures. mindsets. upbringing and in some cases huge age gaps.  

Your last sentence is on the money. So don't do it.

17 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

" Thai not my language. "

Boy, if I ever used that expression except in a conciliatory tone, my wife would have my head. <snip>

Well I guess that's the difference -- she's your wife and realizes not so easy for you to go off and find another.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ombra said:

My wife and I have quite normal conversations, but in some situations she hates to ask questions. She would prefer to be lost than to ask someone the way and she would sooner walk round and round a supermarket than ask a staff member where something is. How do you explain this in terms of Thai thinking?

Face dear boy, face.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Well, once my question is delt with between my wife and other Thais, it often takes a good ten minutes of talking to get an answer.

Not trying to rub anything in, but this does sort of sound like interrogation... 

But as you, my wife can be 50/50 on questions... she likes to talk in English and sometimes it gets confusing for her... my Thai is pretty good, but we as Westerners often tend to care more about specifics...

Who?

The man. 

Which man?

You know, the man.

Surely, for me, none of it is worth confrontation, accusation or arguing about... just no big deal. And I do not se that Thai pepper each other with questions too often... unless the lottery just came out... you know, the important stuff. 

• Like 1

This is not the case with my wife who is very comfortable with the English language, having almost 20 years of practice.

On top of that, it is not like if I was asking about the phases of the moon, or how to fix the engine in the car...I am talking about very simple and basic questions, such as what time is it?

Finally, the language issue doesn't explain the difficulty of asking questions to other Thais...

If she was a western wife I would think she is not answering because the relationship is on the rocks......?

• Thanks 1

This is not the case with my wife who is very comfortable with the English language, having almost 20 years of practice.

On top of that, it is not like if I was asking about the phases of the moon, or how to fix the engine in the car...I am talking about very simple and basic questions, such as what time is it?

Finally, the language issue doesn't explain the difficulty of asking questions to other Thais...

If I were you, I'd be hiding my money for the coming divorce. If she won't even answer a question or help by asking things of other Thais for you will she help you if you become sick, injured or disabled?

The warning signs for my own marriage came when I was injured in a m'bike accident and she was very reluctant to help me, and she did answer questions and ask other Thais for me.

• Like 1

Normal my wife and I have no problem talking but if she gets excited I half to slow her down and break in to bits so I understand her.

Reminds me of story maybe I heard here. Husband ask wife go ask someone where have to go. Wife goes and talks to a Thai.  Five minutes go by and he ask what did he say. She says he don't know.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Your monk question... did you really want the monk come to your home or not. Because if she asks the question and he says yes you can't back out. Maybe she just did not want to be put in such a position. Maybe she just did not want to have the monk over. 

Sure!

We know this monk very well and have had at home many times.

We have even organized small ceremonies (tambun) with him at home.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are thinking like a farang. My wife lied all the time. I never bothered asking her that sort of question because she'd never tell the truth. When she was in a ''mood", she'd just refuse to say anything.

Yes that was YOUR wife,all woman are not the same,try and understand that.

how long did your marriage last ?,maybe it was you.

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Wow.. Sometimes you must feel as if you are in another culture... huh? 

It would be a cultural issue if most or all members were having the same experience as mine.

Yet, according to the multiple answers above, it seems that Thai women behave in many different ways when it comes to deal with questions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Sure!

We know this monk very well and have had at home many times.

We have even organized small ceremonies (tambun) with him at home.

Then why not ask your wife to make an appointment with the guy, just asking him if he wants to go to your home sounds like a waste of time if you already know he is willing and able. Maybe your wife thought the same thing as I do.  Or did you mean make an appointment (even to me it did not sound clear)

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

It would be a cultural issue if most or all members were having the same experience as mine.

Yet, according to the multiple answers above, it seems that Thai women behave in many different ways when it comes to deal with questions.

Of course because just like foreigners they are individuals. Are you the same as everyone else from your country ? I never get it why people think all Thais are the same and should share the same traits. For sure that  not all Dutch are the same and have the same value's and habits why would it be different for Thais. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Just about the last time I can remember her answering one of my questions with words was when she said "I will".

The famous "I will" sometime followed with "do it" but never followed by the most important: when!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes that was YOUR wife,all woman are not the same,try and understand that.

how long did your marriage last ?,maybe it was you.

regards Worgeordie

Are you a divorce lawyer?

For divorce lawyers, and most judges, the husband is always responsible, no matter what!

This is a specific case for which women are not asking for equality of treatment with men...go figure...