Going to attempt to start a new life in SE Asia, any Advice/Tips ?

Bonobojt

I'm 26 years old, based in the UK, due to some changes at work I was offered Voluntary Redundancy, it was just a Kitchen Porter job I'd been doing for 7 years, due to the fact I was not too happy there anymore and I feel less happy living in England due to lack of social life, sex and crap weather, I decided to take the redundancy and try to start a new life in Southeast Asia, I've booked a flight to Bangkok in late August, I think I'll have between £4000 to £5000 pound. 

I say Southeast Asia and not Thailand as I'm aware my chances of getting a job in Thailand are slim these days due to the fact I have no University Degree, even though I love Thailand and feel very happy there, I am happy to live and work in other SEA countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc..

other things that have crossed my mind is starting a youtube channel about SEasia and Thailand, making videos etc.. and trying to make money through YouTube but I think thats very hard these days as there's so many people doing it already and you need expensive camera equipment to get the best footage.

another idea is to get the Working Holiday Visa in Australia and work there for a year, and then do some traveling.

this is my idea, any advice/tips ?

47 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I can see why you worked as a kitchen porter.

Now, I certainly appreciate that the sky is the limit and that young people can do anything, but unless you have some job skills that  they need in SE Asia, or lots of money ( e.g. 1 million pounds +) your prospects are limited, very limited.

Here are the types of jobs available for unskilled UK labour in SE Asia;

-Time share tout (might last 6 months)

- Call center salesman (aka boiler room)  

- Toyboy/sexual companion. If you are capable of satisfying elderly people you may be able to attract the attention of someone. It will most likely be a  male, so you may wish to practice  satisfying the desires of men before you arrive, so that you will be  ready.

- Adult films (Sporadic, but  2/3 roles would be for male targeted audiences. and you better have the anatomy for it too.)

- Drug courier (This is illegal and has a high failure rate. The death penalty applies  in much of SE Asia if caught and even if leniency given, it could be 20+ years in a nasty prison, so it is recommended to avoid. Don't do drugs when in SE Asia. even if someone promises you  lots of dosh and easy women.)

- Organ donor - Many elderly Europeans need  organs and  although a trade in organs is illegal, this has never stopped anyone in SE Asia from buying a kidney.

- Thug and petty thief (Shortened life expectancy)

If I were you, I'd take the redundancy money,  put aside some money for rent and food for a few months and enroll is a government sponsored trade school. There are openings for the skilled trades such as electricians and plumbers. There is also a need for ambulance drivers, paramedics, orderlies and nursing assistants. 

Get one of these jobs and you will make enough to visit SE Asia 2X or more  a year.

I was going to post something negative, but the above post has turned me around.  

If you are willing to move to Malaysia, there are lots of jobs for foreigners, I think around the RM2k/month mark

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

If he can get a working holiday visa for Australia, that's the best option out the ideas he came up with. That money won't last long in SE Asia.

I don’t know.  Most of the guys here on RM2k or whatever are able to send a bit home for their families.

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I was going to post something negative, but the above post has turned me around.  

If you are willing to move to Malaysia, there are lots of jobs for foreigners, I think around the RM2k/month mark

hi thanks for your help, what kind of jobs would I be able to get in Malaysia ? 

1 minute ago, Bonobojt said:

hi thanks for your help, what kind of jobs would I be able to get in Malaysia ? 

Most of the foreign workers work in construction, but factory work and domestic work are also available.  If you are willing to stretch your horizons slightly, I think factory work is better paid in Taiwan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Most of the foreign workers work in construction, but factory work and domestic work are also available.  If you are willing to stretch your horizons slightly, I think factory work is better paid in Taiwan

I thought they would only give those kind of jobs to the local people born in the country and not foreigners ? that's what Thailand does anyway..

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don’t know.  Most of the guys here on RM2k or whatever are able to send a bit home for their families.

I was referring to his nest egg.

8 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Look,stay in the UK,there is no life here. perk yourself up,you need a future. There are jobs there,just look for them, Virgin Rail ,fire service now no good,but prison service,good pension,just stay there,you will top yourself eventually here,more and more expats are moving out of Thailand,for many reasons,just stay there

yes you have a point, due to some personal issues I have, I have sometimes thought I would top myself over there if things didn't turn out well, I mean how hard would it be to have to go back to your parents in your country as a failure with no job and money, my relationship with my parents isn't that great, they want me to move out because its just the culture here in England to leave your parents home at my age.

I've read stories about homeless farangs in Thailand, or Cambodia or the Philippines, etc..

I am having some doubts about this plan of mine, and I did apply for another Kitchen job yesterday actually due to my doubts, but I am just a lot more happier when I'm in southeast asia, its crazy how happy I feel over there compared to here in England, I can't even enjoy the summer here because of my dam hayfever. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

yes you have a point, due to some personal issues I have, I have sometimes thought I would top myself over there if things didn't turn out well, I mean how hard would it be to have to go back to your parents in your country as a failure with no job and money, my relationship with my parents isn't that great, they want me to move out because its just the culture here in England to leave your parents home at my age.

I've read stories about homeless farangs in Thailand, or Cambodia or the Philippines, etc..

I am having some doubts about this plan of mine, and I did apply for another Kitchen job yesterday actually due to my doubts, but I am just a lot more happier when I'm in southeast asia, its crazy how happy I feel over there compared to here in England, I can't even enjoy the summer here because of my dam hayfever. 

Yes,were all happier in Thailand (for a while)  Do not come,it will be the worst choice ever,just stay there,move higher than the kitchen job,Virgin Rail offers good jobs,nights ,days away,just do not not not come to SEAsia   save your life,suicides here are 10 a penny  do not come

No offense to anyone who did it differently, but I'm tadump dee dump old school I guess.  Nose to the grind stone in the younger years, exploit your best earning years and THEN, when you've got some financial security, start chilling out.

By all means, take holidays, do some traveling, etc., but don't lose sight of the long game.  Turning 50 is unfathomable, and then next thing you know..... poof!  Try to arrive there in the best financial shape you can.  It won't buy you happiness, of course, but it does give you flexibility and options. 

Endeth the sermon.  Enjoy your trip, good luck. 

Edit:  As I was reading the OP, occurred to me this same story has been posted here before.  I specifically remember the kitchen porter occupation.  And I think I had the same kind of "sermon" comments.   Hmmm.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

No offense to anyone who did it differently, but I'm tadump dee dump old school I guess.  Nose to the grind stone in the younger years, exploit your best earning years and THEN, when you've got some financial security, start chilling out.

By all means, take holidays, do some traveling, etc., but don't lose sight of the long game.  Turning 50 is unfathomable, and then next thing you know..... poof!  Try to arrive there in the best financial shape you can.  It won't buy you happiness, of course, but it does give you flexibility and options. 

Edit:  As I was reading the OP, occurred to me this same story has been posted here before.  I specifically remember the kitchen porter occupation.  And I think I had the same kind of "sermon" comments.   Hmmm.

Yes, i seem to remember it as well. Starting to think this might be slow troll.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Same OP

16 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I did post about asking if I could get a job in Thailand without a degree and may of mentioned my Kitchen Porter job, this is me asking about any work in general in any SEasian country and I've actually left my job and taken redundancy and booked a one way ticket to Bangkok, not trolling, just want some advice/tips.

31 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Yes,were all happier in Thailand (for a while)  Do not come,it will be the worst choice ever,just stay there,move higher than the kitchen job,Virgin Rail offers good jobs,nights ,days away,just do not not not come to SEAsia   save your life,suicides here are 10 a penny  do not come

so your saying your in Thailand right now and your not happy or suicidal ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonobojt said:

I did post about asking if I could get a job in Thailand without a degree and may of mentioned my Kitchen Porter job, this is me asking about any work in general in any SEasian country and I've actually left my job and taken redundancy and booked a one way ticket to Bangkok, not trolling, just want some advice/tips.

OK, no problem, just as I was typing my response, it, and the OP, started to sound familiar. 

You may feel like you're in a dead end life there.  Lots of people in the same boat.  I'm not from the UK but fundamentally, you ought to have more potential opportunities there than here.  Unless you are a very dynamic person, like Dan Cheeseman. ?   Don't piss your redundancy money away on beer and chicks in Thailand.  Use it to get yourself sorted with something else, stick with it and in a year's time, you may find your outlook has changed for the better.    Then come here and piss some money away on beer and chicks.

I've met/know guys here who came young, fell into the teaching jobs, making a living wage month to month, maybe collect a wife and a couple kids along the way.  All the sudden they woke up and they're 45 years old, not much money tucked away, and they feel stuck.   Now, granted, the very same thing can (and does) happen back home.  

Think it over some more and don't reject advice because it's not the advice you want to hear right now. 

In the end, your call, of course.  Good luck either way.///

Edited by 55Jay

10 minutes ago, altcar bob said:

Id piss off like yesterday if I did not have ties

sorry about that, any particular reason as to why ? health issue or you just have had some trouble living in Thailand ?

23 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

OK, no problem, just as I was typing my response, it, and the OP, started to sound familiar. 

You may feel like you're in a dead end life there.  Lots of people in the same boat.  I'm not from the UK but fundamentally, you ought to have more potential opportunities there than here.  Unless you are a very dynamic person, like Dan Cheeseman. ?   Don't piss your redundancy money away on beer and chicks in Thailand.  Use it to get yourself sorted with something else, stick with it and in a year's time, you may find your outlook has changed for the better.    Then come here and piss some money away on beer and chicks.

I've met/know guys here who came young, fell into the teaching jobs, making a living wage month to month, maybe collect a wife and a couple kids along the way.  All the sudden they woke up and they're 45 years old, not much money tucked away, and they feel stuck.   Now, granted, the very same thing can (and does) happen back home.  

Think it over some more and don't reject advice because it's not the advice you want to hear right now. 

In the end, your call, of course.  Good luck either way.///

of course we don't know what the world will be like when I'm in my 60s or 70s which is 40-50 years from now, the retirement age might change, maybe another financial bank crisis, another war, fishless oceans, overpopulation issues, the bees are dying, the migrant crisis in Europe etc.. its hard for young people to trust our governments, maybe I'll lose all my pension money because of a financial crisis

then there is A.I  technology that is getting more intelligent, machines are taking our jobs etc..

so I kind of want to do what makes me happy before the world gets even more messed up and insane rather than working a 9 till 5 job to pay the bills and the highlight of my life is jerking off to women shaking their ass on webcam and treating myself to a Chinese takeway 

• Haha 1