Spreads for toast, what's available in Thailand?

giddyup

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bovril is for drinking at half-time at the footy, not for spreading on toast ?

I am in the minority in that I alternate between Marmite and Bovril on toast, which by the way, is eaten by thousands of expats and Thais.

Liver sausage is available at some Tesco and Tops.

image.jpeg.5df5555c02a087756545558346c8a238.jpeg Looks like this in a gold wrapping. from TGM

Makro sells a jar of anchovies for over  B600 near the prepared meats section of many stores. I imagine if the olive oil was drained off and some kind of starch or thickener was added, it would make a tasty, salty spread.

The tiny tins are a waste of time unless you aren't that fond of the things.

image.jpeg.1bdbb9980d0044735db2d643290e6ed8.jpeg

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I make my own pate with pigs liver as I don't like chicken livers.

It tastes great with a good slug of brandy in the mix.

I love pate but my body doesn't. I have gout and offal is a big no-no.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I make my own pate with pigs liver as I don't like chicken livers.

It tastes great with a good slug of brandy in the mix.

Pigs liver is the only liver with taste IMO.

Sometimes though you get ducks liver in Big C cheaper than chickens liver. It has a slightly stronger taste and I add it into my stuffing mix...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

There's lunch sorted, then: Tesco sardines on buttered toast. ?

But not the tomato sauce ones, Bill. Then again, except for tuna, every fish here seems to come in tomato sauce.

Edited by newatthis
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, newatthis said:

But not the tomato sauce ones, Bill. Then again, except for tuna, every fish here seems to come in tomato sauce.

Yeah, they are! Wish I could get plain, or some tinned kippers locally.
I just scrape most of the tomato sauce to one side,
Here is a video for making some really good fish paste at home.
Not for every one, this "cooking" thing, I suppose. It does answer the question, though, of "Where can I get..." for many items.

• Thanks 2

Just bought yumi's from big c, because it was in the near expiry fridge as I think too expensive at 179 Bht for 200 gram, and I kinda liked it.

They have at least 4 different choices, baked eggplant which I bought, avocado and 2 more choices.

It seems to be a dip, but I use it as a spead, nah

http://yumis.com.au/products/classic-dip/mediterranean-eggplant-dip/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Just bought yumi's from big c, because it was in the near expiry fridge as I think too expensive at 179 Bht for 200 gram, and I kinda liked it.

They have at least 4 different choices, baked eggplant which I bought, avocado and 2 more choices.

It seems to be a dip, but I use it as a spead, nah

http://yumis.com.au/products/classic-dip/mediterranean-eggplant-dip/

Shhhh ... don't tell everybody about the discount fridge at Big C....It's where I buy my runny  Camembert (I don't care how <deleted>(king runny it is!!) ...Great on toast!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, newatthis said:

And a choice of 20+ brands. Bizarre. Very hard to find sardines in oil and no Tesco near me sells them in oil. And the price is four times the price of the UK so I usually bring a few tins back with me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And a choice of 20+ brands. Bizarre. Very hard to find sardines in oil and no Tesco near me sells them in oil. And the price is four times the price of the UK so I usually bring a few tins back with me.

Ayam brand does them I think.

Anyways I have seen Ayam brand in Big C and Tops...

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

I buy the tins of Mackerel in tomato sauce take them out of the tomato sauce and replace it with chilli sauce, then mash them until it's just like a runny paste and spread on toast, sometimes with added chilli powder on top.  One small tin will cover about 8 slices of toast.  Only problem is I'm eating way too much bread.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I buy the tins of Mackerel in tomato sauce take them out of the tomato sauce and replace it with chilli sauce, then mash them until it's just like a runny paste and spread on toast, sometimes with added chilli powder on top.  One small tin will cover about 8 slices of toast.  Only problem is I'm eating way too much bread.

At first glance it may look like a red wall of tinned fish in tomato sauce but if people took one pace forward and looked they will see..Sardines and mackerel in

tomato

spicy tomato

chili

sriracha

black pepper

green curry ( not recommended for toast!!!)

and probably more that have slipped my mind..but for 15 to 20 baht its worth the risk of trying a few...My cat doesn't seem to mind if some taste crap!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I just picked up two sandwich spreads to try from 7/11, a chicken and ham and chicken.

Just Been To Siamsburys he has 2 varieties of scandanavian spread a salami one and a blue cheese one on special at 99 baht down from 249 baht (be at sell by).........never tried them so cant say what they are like.........picture below of the salami one.....only had 5 or 6 of each on offer

SALAMI.jpeg

11 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Just Been To Siamsburys he has 2 varieties of scandanavian spread a salami one and a blue cheese one on special at 99 baht down from 249 baht (be at sell by).........never tried them so cant say what they are like.........picture below of the salami one.....only had 5 or 6 of each on offer

SALAMI.jpeg

Let me know what you think - I am at a loose end on Saturday and I need the exercise..