Where has been your most magical moments ( travel wise ) in SE Asia?

peterb17

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Traveling around PNG,that was 40 +- years ago,not

the same now i suspect.

regards worgeordie

33yrs ago i worked there for a year in the oil industry...Never forgotten the native men with bows and arrows guarding the Resort at night in Moresby... 

Best places I visited in Sth Asia, was definitely the beaches of Vietnam...

Edited by weegee
spelling

After visiting Thailand for 10 years on holiday and driving the 7 'home'; selling my business and driving home from BKK, knowing I didn't have to go back to the UK, ever. Apart from seeing my kids born, best experience ever.

• Like 2

Magsaysay in Olongapo and Bario Barreta PI.  Did have some really fun times there back in the day.  Filipinas were much more fun than their Thai counterparts imho.  Liked the food and culture better too.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Magsaysay in Olongapo and Bario Barreta PI.  Did have some really fun times there back in the day.  Filipinas were much more fun than their Thai counterparts imho.  Liked the food and culture better too.

You like Filipino food more than Thai food?  That's something I've NEVER heard before - during my three visits to the Philippines, I found the food ATROCIOUS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Otres Beach, Cambodia, like Goa 45 years ago.  Any little town in Sakhon somewhere in Thailand, travelling alone and having to get out, speaking Thai and getting to know the locals.

Calagute, Little Vagator,, Vagator, Chapora, Benaulim or Arambol?

• Like 1

At the ghost festival, Phi Ta Korn, in Dan  Sai, the Shwedagon pagoda in Yangon, and being just one of six people snorkeling in pristine waters from the only long tail boat in Maya Bay, 1994.And if we are going to stretch SEA to India, sitting on top of Gokyo Ri mountain in Nepal and an audience with the Dalai Llama in  Dharamsala.

In Sumatra riding from Porsea to Pekan Baru . I split the ride at Sipirok. The average speed is a bit low but on the good sections one can easily get 100 -120 kph. Slower sections avoiding the cinnamon drying on the road! 

That was 20 years ago. Amazingly street view has now done the whole route that I did the old fashion way!

A slow bit

https://goo.gl/maps/zdTAq5EcgiC2

Medium speed

https://goo.gl/maps/EVDGP1L7mE82

About 120 

https://goo.gl/maps/8aWYn9i4fGu

I'd  do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by VocalNeal

For a nice Metropolitan experience, I visited Kuala Lumpur last year, wow what a nice and clean place. Nice and cheap Hotels in the middle of town. lots of stuff to see. Use metro and public transport everywhere, very modern efficient and people are nice and friendly, welcoming everywhere.

• Like 1

My first time in SEA. I landed in Bkk late at night then the next morning at 5am had a flight to Rangoon. What a shock. We went to Mandalay for a few days then took the boat to Bagan. An amazing trip to the past. I miss the words to express my feelings.

I caught the fever of Asia at that time, never recovered since.

Regards 

Fred

Once saw a documentary on Bohorok Orang rehab centre on Sumatra and became an ambition to see it. I did and it was amazing. It now doesn’t exist anymore and what replaced it was a mess when I went.

Inle Lake in Burma......stunning beyond words.

Bhutan a couple of years ago. One of my most memorable 6 days ever.

Luang Prabang before it got ruined to the degree that I won’t go anymore

• Like 1

Koh libong 3 years ago this month.

A week of very shoddy Internet enabled me to switch off and have a great time with my GF. 

Only us in the resort and the resort dog who would sleep outside our door each night at our on beach chalet.

Would love to go back but I hear it's changed in terms of development so we dare not ruin our memories of the place.

We chose the place by looking on a map for somewhere we had never been or heard of.

Was a very carefree week, had a lovely time.