Am I in breach of immigration rules if Im painting my commercial building?

ghworker2010

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think the grey area is he wants to paint a commercial rented building which I take he lives in.

I think with Thailand's rules and laws there's many grey areas and also a line drawn between maintenance and working especially on your own home. 

The fact he lives in it is irrelevant. I assume since it is a commercial building it is some sort of business. If he wants to do anything involved with that business he needs a work permit. Depending on the type of business he may not be able to have the license in his name. There will be no grey area should a labor official finds out he is working on that building. I don't know why it is so difficult to understand. He would be taking away a job where a Thai could be employed.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Legally you may be correct, but not in practice. Otherwise all farangs would be banned from buying tools in hardware stores without a work permit to prove can use them legally.

I rewired 2 houses, and no police came to arrest me, but they were family houses. I even did plumbing on the houses the family rents. No one arrested me, but I wasn't advertising to do same for strangers.

You could be murdering someone and no police comes to arrest you. Hardly an argument haha.

6 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

I asked immigration after showing them our registered lease. He said what are you worried about. I said 'maybe someone call you to say farang is painting without a WP'. He said dont worry about it

Thanks for your update. You should probably ask the Amphor, the office that issue Work Permits, however Immigration may also be a case when having the wrong Visa, or extension of stay; but might not be a problem in your area, or the province you live in, as rules might be enforced little different in various parts of the nation. My reply was "in general". But anyway, great for you, if you are allowed to paint a building used for business...?

• Like 1

Wrap it up chaps.

The topic question is ''Am I in breach of immigration rules if Im painting my commercial building?''

The consensus seems to be:

with Immigration, no.

with the Labour dept., yes.

So, if you get reported to the Labour Dept., they will grab you and, once prosecuted for working illegally and fined, will pass you onto the IO for deportation? Maybe?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

3rd one to say that I think, again where does it state that.

http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/downloads/pdf/WORKING_OF_ALIEN_ACT_2551_DOE.pdf

Inside there it says that to work an alien needs a work permit and it defines work as exerting energy or using knowledge. So basically everything can be seen as work, and when renovating a commercial building it clearly is work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grollies said:

So, if you get reported to the Labour Dept., they will grab you and, once prosecuted for working illegally and fined, will pass you onto the IO for deportation? Maybe?

No-way, the know it all's here who think will  and what happens, are getting to you, don't let em, most of what they research and think in reality doesn't happen in Thailand.

Reading laws etc etc doesn't reflex the outcome unless it gets proven in court and someone would have to be in the frame more than once committing this misdemeanor and abusing the work law system as I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No-way, the know it all's here who think will  and what happens, are getting to you, don't let em, most of what they research and think in reality doesn't happen in Thailand.

Reading laws etc etc doesn't reflex the outcome unless it gets proven in court and someone would have to be in the frame more than once committing this misdemeanor and abusing the work law system as I've seen. 

Great then, why don't you go help the OP paint his business I we can find out that will "reflex" on your ability to remain in LOS.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Great then, why don't you go help the OP paint his business I we can find out that will "reflex" on your ability to remain in LOS.

You should relax or as they say here jai yen yen before you blow a gasket.

Maybe you need to google that. ?

On 6/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, Khun Jean said:

I am allowed to because i am Dutch myself.

Strange idiosyncratic characteristic of many Nederlands folk is to grumble about their culture whilst being very protective of it.... not a bad thing though.

Edited by lemonjelly

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You should relax or as they say here jai yen yen before you blow a gasket.

Maybe you need to google that. ?

Don't need to. That same attitude you have is why people here disregard the rule of law pretty much across the board. I can run this red light, nobody will catch me. Bad enough it is instilled in Thai mentality since birth but as a guest in the country it seems that you and others have adapted the same mentality. I was taught if you live in my house, play by my rules. It's the way educated people should behave.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:12 PM, ghworker2010 said:

You are absolutely incorrect!

Im the OP and raised this thread. 

I had to go to the immigration dept' to apply for a multi re-entry permit. I showed him the 10 yr lease and photo of our building. The officer said no problem to do it. 

cheers

I hope you got that in writing on headed paper along with a signed copy of his id card

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'd say it needs a WP (which you wouldn't get because it's a general labouring job). You're not painting your private house, but a commercial building ==> part of your business.

When I had a guest-house in Phuket a few years ago, I had a separate little building onsite where I lived. I used to paint that, because it was my personal accommodation. But I got local painters to paint the guest rooms because those buildings were part of my commercial venture.

I think the message some are trying to point out is better to be safe than sorry..

If me I would go to the labour office and ask, real easy...:stoner:

12 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

It's the way educated people should behave.

Well educate yourself more about what actually goes on, the Thais e.g. Many foreigners in schools don't have WP's.

Many educated people know that many laws are an ass.

What long term non-imm 1 year extension people living here should be able to do is maintain there private property.

Never known anyone doing so having any bother.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I think the message some are trying to point out is better to be safe than sorry..

If me I would go to the labour office and ask, real easy...:stoner:

You know like most establishment offices here have different enforcement of rules and laws.

Never known anyone done for working their own property.

I only know of one person being fined by a labour office and that was him walking in off the street into his wife's restaurant taking a cup & saucer off a table and taking it out to the back where they lived.

Guess where that was,  it turned out to be a rival restaurant owner with a grudge taking a mobile vid and taking it to the labour office.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

You know like most establishment offices here have different enforcement of rules and laws.

Never known anyone done for working their own property.

I only know of one person being fined by a labour office and that was him walking in off the street into his wife's restaurant taking a cup & saucer off a table and taking it out to the back where they lived.

Guess where that was,  it turned out to be a rival restaurant owner with a grudge taking a mobile vid and taking it to the labour office.

Yep, that is why it is better to be safe than sorry when dealing with a commercial place. Even the OP has started a topic on the subject, think he now has something to chew on...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well educate yourself more about what actually goes on, the Thais e.g. Many foreigners in schools don't have WP's.

Many educated people know that many laws are an ass.

What long term non-imm 1 year extension people living here should be able to do is maintain there private property.

Never known anyone doing so having any bother.

Do you understand what commercial property is?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, that is why it is better to be safe than sorry when dealing with a commercial place. Even the OP has started a topic on the subject, think he now has something to chew on...

Well what I find strange is some people think it covers everything a foreigner does, common sense does prevail with some Thailand authorities.

Be careful when using your tyre gauge. ? 

I'm off .

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Well what I find strange is some people think it covers everything a foreigner does, common sense does prevail with some Thailand authorities.

Be careful when using you tyre gauge. ? 

I have a non exploding Thai one, well that's what the wrapper said....:stoner:

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, transam said:

This will make you smile...

Years back I was sorting stuff out getting a yellow book..Proof of where l lived was required...At the time l was affiliated to the local BiB, so asked the police boss if he could provide an official letter to support the info....Nooo ploblem. Nice letter with all the rubber stamps etc was provided...

Went to get my yellow book sorted and was told to bugger off, need proof from your village head man. Mrs.Trans and I didn't know the bloke, so we inquired and found where he lived. Taking a bottle of booze in hand he was happy to go with us to sort it...:stoner:

When I got my yellow book my wife was with me and she did all the talking. Never needed any headman to turn up, nor anyone else