I have a Debit card issued by BPI bank in the Philippines. I opened a Paypal account and linked it to this account. I have used this Paypal account many times to purchase air fares over the internet without any problems. 

Sure I've linked debit cards to my PayPal account.

The "Electronic Use Only" statement still on some cards just means it has to be used in way that provides on-the-spot authorization like at an electronic terminal, in an ATM, etc.   Setting up a PayPal effectively does the same thing....an electronic verification. 

In the olden days a person might have an imprint of their card made on a slip and then you sign that slip...the merchant would then process the transaction later.  A For Electronic Use only card could not be used in such a transaction.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/electronic-use-only-mean-debit-card-21773.html

What It Means

The little machine you swipe your debit card through at the store has a name: a processing terminal. There's some high-tech hocus-pocus involved, but essentially, when you swipe your card, the terminal contacts whatever institution issued the card. The bank verifies the debit card is valid, checks that your account has money in it, and instantly authorizes the transaction. If your debit card says "Electronic Use Only," it means any transaction involving the card must receive this kind of on-the-spot authorization.

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Kasikorn ( TFB ) card.

Log into Kasikorn Internet Banking and create a virtual visa shopping card.   You'll get a visa card number, expiry date and CVV number that you can use online.

Link that to your Paypal account and if there isn't enough money in your paypal balance it will take it from the card (direct from your Kasikorn account).

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Log into Kasikorn Internet Banking and create a virtual visa shopping card.   You'll get a visa card number, expiry date and CVV number that you can use online.

Link that to your Paypal account and if there isn't enough money in your paypal balance it will take it from the card (direct from your Kasikorn account).

How are the exchange rates and fees for such a virtual KK card compared to a Mastercard from a western bank?

Edited by janclaes47

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

How are the exchange rates and fees for such a virtual KK card compared to a Mastercard from a western bank?

No idea.  I just use it and don't even think about the exchange rates.

If you look at .... www.paypalwarning.com  ....OR  www.aboutpaypal.org ..... OR  www.nopaypal.co.uk

You'll possibly find you wouldn't want to register or give them any details or deal with them in anyway.

And probably a good reason why Ebay will stop using them soon - Ebay is slowly pulling away from Paypal now and will be using another company by about middle June 2020

12 hours ago, seancbk said:

Kasikorn local branch won't let me do anything new without a work permit. Even international transfer.

Been retired for 3/4 years and I'm not going back to work just to do a few small transfers every year. ??

• 1 month later...

Beware of getting an insensitive letter from PayPal if owing them money when you die.   See partial quote from the news stories weblink below

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/11/paypal-slammed-after-telling-customer-that-her-death-breached-its-rules.html

PayPal was forced to apologize after sending a letter to a woman who had died of cancer claiming her death "breached its rules."