Thailand offers so much diversity and choice for an Expat living here

webfact

Thailand offers so much diversity and choice for an Expat living here

By Dan Cheeseman

thailand-diversity.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Such is the nature of my job I get the opportunity to dip in and out of the different regions in Thailand. It really mixes up my working month and as a result I never get the chance to feel bored.

I could be in Hua Hin for a few days allowing me to make the most of the beaches, night markets and more sedate, relaxed lifestyle; then I could travel to Bangkok and instantly hit a cosmopolitan, busy environment. Two and a half hours apart but in terms of proposition they are worlds apart.

Pattaya, where I currently live, has pretty much everything I need and has some strange pull over me that means I can never quite bring myself to relocate.

Full story:  https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/06/09/thailand-offers-so-much-diversity-and-choice-for-an-expat-living-here/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-06-11

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I read the summary headline elsewhere, and immediately figured, "Gotta be a Cheeseman thread."

And turns out, of course, I was right. Will the wonders of Thailand never cease... :burp:

Actually , that was a no brainer.

Too easy. 

• Like 1

Well, that just wasted 4 minutes. I wish Dan all the best with his vids, but this one really didn't say anything at all. No info, nothing enlightening. Sorry mate, but a bit of meat on your skewer might help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Every town and city in Thailand is exactly the same. Tons of concrete, shophouses, hanging wires and few trees. I've been watching documentaries about the UK, where every town and village is different. Really different. And the scenery there is more varied than in Thailand, and well cared for. And that all applies to all or at least most countries in Europe.

Bangkok, Doi Suthep and the good old days (1953) in the UK.

Bkk.jpg

doi sup.jpg

glasgow-1956.jpg

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Every town and city in Thailand is exactly the same. Tons of concrete, shophouses, hanging wires and few trees. I've been watching documentaries about the UK, where every town and village is different. Really different. And the scenery there is more varied than in Thailand, and well cared for. And that all applies to all or at least most countries in Europe.

While I truly love living in Thailand on balance, it is one of the more boring places I've ever visited or lived. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's a monoculture. Anyone who knows a bit of Thai history knows that the country went through a few hundred years of forcing Central "Thai" culture on the many varied peoples of the former Siam. 

The towns and architecture and language and good vary very little from one part to the next. All peoples of Thailand must assimilate to the Thai Borg. All must be same: Thai

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, Poottrong said:

Diversity is not the word I would chose; it is pretty much a monoculture after all. Definitely plenty of activity going on all the time though.

If you think the South, the North East, central Thailand and all the other regions do not demonstrate diversity then I do not know what does.  There are 14 gender types here plus various tribal groups abd the diversity of music types is almost equal to Africa.  Diversity here does not resolve around artificial Marxist concepts and the politics of the left which is division and discord....not diversity but grim, cultural Marxist conformity.

Just now, AntDee said:

While I truly love living in Thailand on balance, it is one of the more boring places I've ever visited or lived. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's a monoculture. Anyone who knows a bit of Thai history knows that the country went through a few hundred years of forcing Central "Thai" culture on the many varied peoples of the former Siam. 

The towns and architecture and language and good vary very little from one part to the next. All peoples of Thailand must assimilate to the Thai Borg. All must be same: Thai

Rubbish. Spend a few months in Issan or the deep South...I''ll grant you it not western Marxist artificial diversity....it's genuine. Ask for living in a boring place...try the suburbs of Britain, the Australian out back, Midwest America,  the eastern provinces of Saudi, anywhere in Libya..Have you ever been anywhere? Pray do tell. And the big question: Have you ever been to Thailand...or Stockport or Wythenshaw?..So mich diversity people dont go out at night.

Edited by The manic

On 6/11/2018 at 8:34 PM, Lungstib said:

So much depends on that "nature of my job" comment. When I came here I had a job that was legal and earned enough to get out and about. With a wife and two kids I was then left stunned when my job became illegal and I was forced to go to other countries for work. struggling to get contracts, constantly getting visas in and out and always short of money I then ended up just like the locals, too poor for restaurants, holidays or flights out. If that job of his disappears, so will he.

That's true for everyone, everywhere.  No money, no fun-y.  But just because a person can't afford great stuff to do, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I'll never have a Maserati, but they're out there.

44 minutes ago, AntDee said:

Hell of a lot more interesting than the boring-ass suburban drudgery I came from and am stuck going back to.  More diverse, more stuff to do that is cheaper and easier to get to.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Katia said:

That's true for everyone, everywhere.  No money, no fun-y.  But just because a person can't afford great stuff to do, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I'll never have a Maserati, but they're out there.

Hell of a lot more interesting than the boring-ass suburban drudgery I came from and am stuck going back to.  More diverse, more stuff to do that is cheaper and easier to get to.

You are/we are responding to a provocative troll or genuine nimcanpoop....

1 minute ago, The manic said:

You are/we are responding to a provocative troll or genuine nimcanpoop....

I know that.  But a lot of people feel similarly.  Me, maybe I've not been here long enough yet, but there's little here I dislike enough to make going back to the U.S. (at least where I lived) seem a better alternative. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Katia said:

I know that.  But a lot of people feel similarly.  Me, maybe I've not been here long enough yet, but there's little here I dislike enough to make going back to the U.S. (at least where I lived) seem a better alternative. 

I agree think positive...Many people live in the insular bubble they lived in back home..they should be ignored though..I call them ' do nothing's been now where's.. and like a broken record repeating their cracked disharmony untill hopefully someone pull the plug on them

Edited by The manic

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Rubbish. Spend a few months in Issan or the deep South...I''ll grant you it not western Marxist artificial diversity....it's genuine. Ask for living in a boring place...try the suburbs of Britain, the Australian out back, Midwest America,  the eastern provinces of Saudi, anywhere in Libya..Have you ever been anywhere? Pray do tell. And the big question: Have you ever been to Thailand...or Stockport or Wythenshaw?..So mich diversity people dont go out at night.

I encourage you to do some reading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai fiction 

"Thaification, or "Thai-ization" is the process by which people of different cultural and ethnic origins living in Thailand become assimilated to the dominant culture of Thailand, that of central Thailand.

Thaification was a step in the creation in the 20th century of the Thai nation state in which Thai peopleoccupy a dominant position, as opposed to the historically multicultural kingdom of Siam. "

Ethnic Malays in the south forced to be Thai. Ethnic Lao in the northeast forced to be Thai. Ethnic Khmers on the east, same. Same for ethnic Burmese in the west. Ethnic Chinese, usually can't speak Chinese because of the forced assimilation policies and Cultural Mandates (read about it). 

This has also had an effect on architecture and food and language and music. 

Read more, please. 

6 hours ago, AntDee said:

You havnt been to Pattaya ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The manic said:

If you think the South, the North East, central Thailand and all the other regions do not demonstrate diversity then I do not know what does.  There are 14 gender types here plus various tribal groups abd the diversity of music types is almost equal to Africa.  Diversity here does not resolve around artificial Marxist concepts and the politics of the left which is division and discord....not diversity but grim, cultural Marxist conformity.

I think you're stretching it a bit. While there are certainly differences in regional ethnicites and culture between the South, North East and central regions these are by no means obvious to the casual observer - you really have to look for them and they only become apparent after spending a good deal of time here (I'm not referring to the marginal hill tribe type groups). By and large Thais most worship the same religion, eat the same food, have a uniformity of architecture, consume the same type of culture and have pretty similar world views and outlooks.

"diversity of music types is almost equal to Africa"

Eh? No.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntDee said:

I encourage you to do some reading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai fiction 

"Thaification, or "Thai-ization" is the process by which people of different cultural and ethnic origins living in Thailand become assimilated to the dominant culture of Thailand, that of central Thailand.

Thaification was a step in the creation in the 20th century of the Thai nation state in which Thai peopleoccupy a dominant position, as opposed to the historically multicultural kingdom of Siam. "

Ethnic Malays in the south forced to be Thai. Ethnic Lao in the northeast forced to be Thai. Ethnic Khmers on the east, same. Same for ethnic Burmese in the west. Ethnic Chinese, usually can't speak Chinese because of the forced assimilation policies and Cultural Mandates (read about it). 

This has also had an effect on architecture and food and language and music. 

Read more, please. 

Perhaps you should read how many different languages are spoken in Thailand and how many different cuisines and styles of architecture are considered native.  

Edited by Rarebear

9 hours ago, Rarebear said:

Perhaps you should read how many different languages are spoken in Thailand and how many different cuisines and styles of architecture are considered native.  

Recent article for you. Enjoy. 

"Our state-constructed identity required one to speak Thai in public institutions, such as schools, municipalities, government offices, and so on. The idea is to reinforce “Thainess”, or “kwam pen Thai”. 

Let us admit that many of those who grow up in the central region, where standard Thai is spoken, are condescending towards fellow citizens who speak Lao, Khmer, Malay or one of the hilltribe languages. "

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30339627