Ukranian skimmers stealing from Phuket people bought 18 million baht houses

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

It tells you if no bluetooth working which apparently these skimmers work on, just hold phone near keyboard click the icon and it tells you if it's all clear, up until recently you could'nt get this app on iphones only android phones, and it's free!

thanks for that

I've used Skimmer Scanner on Android for a while now, and it saved me once from a compromised ATM. Apparently most skimmers work on Bluetooth, and the app is pretty easy to use. That said, nothing beats a physical check - I pull and push on everything before I use an ATM. The card reader attachment usually comes off quite easily if it's there; and covering your hands while typing a PIN usually renders a read useless to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

tell your story to the thai who deposited money at the counter only to have half his money disappear in her pocket by the teller. 

But that smart Thai, if you re read the story left the bank without checking the book and deposit slip.

At the Bangkok Bank I have always been hand the book with the page open facing me together with the deposit slip showing the amount deposited.

You would have to be stupid not to check.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

I've used Skimmer Scanner on Android for a while now, and it saved me once from a compromised ATM. Apparently most skimmers work on Bluetooth, and the app is pretty easy to use. That said, nothing beats a physical check - I pull and push on everything before I use an ATM. The card reader attachment usually comes off quite easily if it's there; and covering your hands while typing a PIN usually renders a read useless to them.

Push and pull where exactly?

3 hours ago, transam said:

BKK bank provides an SMS message service to tell you instantly of credits and ATM withdrawals on your account, 15bht a month...:thumbsup:

Yes I have this arrangement on my Bangkok Bank atm card..works perfectly for 15baht

• Like 1

4 hours ago, car720 said:

Always news about skimmers and the work that police do to catch them.  What interests me is what the banks should be doing to protect their customers.  They say to you that they are doing you a great service by providing ATM machines but fail to mention the great profits that they make.  As usual the banks are not protecting customers but are instead leeching from them.  And what about the ATM manufacturers in all this.

UK banks do protect you. If you show a fraudulent transaction has taken place, they will refund the stolen money. Many accounts are free (including free use of ATMs) as long as you stay in credit, so providing ATMs can be a great (free) service. The Thai banks charge a very high fee to use their ATMs making it obvious that they are making huge profits - why do you need to be told that? As for leeching, banks are not a charity so need to charge to stay in business. If you don't like them so much why not stop using them. You will soon see them in a different light.

I agree, it is the ATM manufacturers who need to do more. One easy way to help is by standardising the card slot and areas where cameras are placed. This would make any modifications easier to see.

4 hours ago, transam said:

BKK bank provides an SMS message service to tell you instantly of credits and ATM withdrawals on your account, 15bht a month...:thumbsup:

I don't need that 15bht a month, not keep any money above 500bht in both my banks, all my money apart from overseas is in my safe.

Last Saturday  I received an SMS message from my bank HSBC with a code number to authenticate my buying jewellery online on an Italian Website... I did not even know the name.  

I called HSBC premier and my bank card, of course, was in opposition right away, so their attempt did not work thanks to this code they send on my telephone for every online purchase, but otherwise I prefer not to know!  But how did they manage to have my card number and the 3 figures behind ???  

In fact, these bastards put us all in danger despite all the precautions we can take :annoyed:

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

Last Saturday  I received an SMS message from my bank HSBC with a code number to authenticate my buying jewellery online on an Italian Website... I did not even know the name.  

I called HSBC premier and my bank card, of course, was in opposition right away, so their attempt did not work thanks to this code they send on my telephone for every online purchase, but otherwise I prefer not to know!  But how did they manage to have my card number and the 3 figures behind ???  

In fact, these bastards put us all in danger despite all the precautions we can take :annoyed:

Very dangerous, never give anyone your card number apart for you embassy, I do to get a new passport. I opened another account here with a debit card, use that online but only have enough funds to cover the transaction

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

How about the banks doing a check every morning to see if there has been any tampering of their ATMs has occurred overnight and then shutting those which have been tampered with down and reviewing cctv on those machines to give to the police to flow up. Simple procedure no?

leaving it up to the public who have no idea what an installed card skimmer device looks like is simply passing their duties off on the consumer. Their machines...their responsibility and that includes any losses incurred by the person using them! End of discussion!

Elementary my dear Watson. :smile:

You are so right that one could wonder why is it not done every day?  

3 minutes ago, transam said:

And your safe is safe.....

Been safe for 7 years now, electronic key to enter building, key to my room, cameras on every floor, better that banks. In thai if money gets stolen from your account Kaput, no refund not like western world

1 minute ago, Jingjock said:

Been safe for 7 years now, electronic key to enter building, key to my room, cameras on every floor, better that banks. In thai if money gets stolen from your account Kaput, no refund not like western world

Happy to hear that...But are you saying folk don't get their stuff nicked via similar stuff to yourself...?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Happy to hear that...But are you saying folk don't get their stuff nicked via similar stuff to yourself...?

Only the stupid ones get their property stolen, I made sure that good landlords where I live, and closely monitored 

people coming and going. As another post wrote, a teller a while back, was stealing money

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

How about the banks doing a check every morning to see if there has been any tampering of their ATMs has occurred overnight and then shutting those which have been tampered with down and reviewing cctv on those machines to give to the police to flow up. Simple procedure no?

leaving it up to the public who have no idea what an installed card skimmer device looks like is simply passing their duties off on the consumer. Their machines...their responsibility and that includes any losses incurred by the person using them! End of discussion!

Elementary my dear Watson. :smile:

You are so right that one could wonder why is it not done every day?  

2 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

Only the stupid ones get their property stolen, I made sure that good landlords where I live, and closely monitored 

people coming and going. As another post wrote, a teller a while back, was stealing money

You sound like a very trusting person....:whistling:

38 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

Very dangerous, never give anyone your card number apart for you embassy, I do to get a new passport. I opened another account here with a debit card, use that online but only have enough funds to cover the transaction

Every time you hand it to a waitress to pay your bill, they can swipe it and get the security number from the physical card.

53 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

it is worrying that they know the 3 digit code. how about your online password?

last year I was just checking into my hotel in Singapore and they said my card declined ... I only maintain one card. my bank told me some bellender had guessed or bought my card number and tried to buy some very low value items. after three failed attempts at guessing my codes the bank blocked AND cancelled my card. 

I carry odds and ends of currencies with me but until I could get my replacement card here, moving around was a bit tense. anything unplanned for and I was sunk.

Of course, these thieves couldn't care less about the likes of us!

Edited by todlad

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

We always go inside the bank to withdraw money.  Can't get conned there. People are lazy and love their plastic money cards.  

Not Australian banks -  been following the Royal Commission??