Video: "Take me to court" says truck driver after woman ends up in the central reservation

webfact

Driving in many area of the country, you must be high alert at all time, and 360 degree.

If it is NOT your own route that one always get used too the roadway, One must go slow and exercise extra caution.

If the accident have ever occurred, even though you are right, but sometimes you could be pointed finger at that you are wrong.   

Apparently many Thais do not feel the pinch or cost to go to courts.

the government should increase city’s fees to stop all this frivolous court challenges.

from my personal experience, I have been challenge by a local to bring him to court, which I have done. 

I must say my impression of the court system is so far good. It may be deem slow but it gives both parties all the chances to come to a settlement.

Make appearance in court more costly and allow sueing for damages and costs 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not sure how he can deny responsibility for that? He clearly hasn't bothered to check his mirrors, or he would have seen it was unsafe to make the turn and from what I can see has used no indicators either. This is exactly the sort of idiot that needs to be removed from the roads, as such stupidity and disrespect for other road users makes him super dangerous.

...and as well he should have changed to the right line prior to exit - you dont make Your exit from the left line to the right line in one go when there are no trafic - lack of planning, lack of trafick rules understanding, lack of driving skills - Surprinsingly he didnt make a runner, maybe he was almost empty for fuel…??......

Edited by ttrd
  • Thanks 1

The Thai governement is at fault for creating ultra dangerous road infrastructure.

U-turns on a highway are a recepy for (deadly) accidents by design.

There should be only u turn bridges, roundabouts (or traffic light U turn's in the worst case, guarded with red light camera's).

Second, local slow traffic should always be physically separated from high speed pass through traffic, not just a line of paint on a highway, with at one side motorbikes, bicycles, people dogs and chickens, and other side of the painted line cars doing 140 kmph.

Then you have the story of law enforcement (for which you need decent laws and a decent police force plus the will to do something about it)

And awareness, driving training.... are also essential

Basically the Thai governement is responsible for working on all these points, then it is up to the people. But now the people dont know any better, can't blame them if this is where you grow up and you have never seen anything else. It starts with the governementy taking its responsability and working on all aspects of road safety!

The driver clearly was going too fast. The video shows (from 150 yards away) that the truck was definitely in the center of the road. There was ample time for the driver of the car to slow down and take precautionary measures. She didn't. Too bad for her.

That being said the truck driver was clearly at fault.

But the driver of the car should have exercised a better defensive driving attitude, having the time to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

Speed limit could be 80 or 90km on that road and I would say she wasn't exceeding either whether the road is wet or not! The truck driver is guilty of driving without due care and attention. End of story!  he is entirely in the wrong.

Well she was going too fast to avoid a collision, therefore too fast... 

• Like 1

True, the truck driver starting turning carelessly but, The car driver had observed plenty of warning that the truck was turning and about to block her exit., But, rather than slow down, she continues at speed towards him. that in my books is also careless driving as she showed no attempt to slow and even moved onto median hard shoulder.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

True, the truck driver starting turning carelessly but, The car driver had observed plenty of warning that the truck was turning and about to block her exit., But, rather than slow down, she continues at speed towards him. that in my books is also careless driving as she showed no attempt to slow and even moved onto median hard shoulder.

Lacking the brain-capacity to see the accident coming her way.

"Normal" people would have slowed down, problem solved.

• Like 2

The worm in the truck was obviously at fault, and was being reckless, careless, disrespectful to anyone and everyone on the road, ignorant, dumb, non-visionary, complacent, and just plain stupid. Lock him up. Take away his license. Make sure he never, ever drives a truck again. Fine the company a massive amount of money. Only in this way will things begin to change. He could have easily killed the woman driving the car, or anyone else. 

In most civilized nation he would be charged with reckless driving. That will not be the case here. The toy police do not know what that is. 

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It seems to be a unanimous response to the truck drivers cause of the accident.. lets hope the court sees it the same way or if they're as blind as the driver was !!!

speeding and running int to an accident with her eyes open is the problem.

truck driver wrong yes, but that is no reason for her to cold-blooded run into him.

Plenty of time to see what was happening and to understand that the traffic situation was becoming way to complex for the speed she was running at.

basically the first thing you notice of the bat, is that this is quite fast for a "lady" , next when you see the truck you know this will not end well, no sign of breaking from this lady, no no.

Edited by Lampang2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

He is responsible, however she was going at a fair rate on a wet/damp road...

Driving to the conditions doesn't ever seem to occur to people here !!

Luckily she wasn't hurt...

Way to fast and incapable of stopping her car.

If that had been someone pushing a broken down bike or similar, what would she have done then? While I reckon the truck has some responsibility, I think she is in the wrong as she was unable to control her car in the face of what was essentially a stopped vehicle (the speed he was going was almost at a stop)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At my U-turn, I love watching coming up, in some case a big puff of smoke as the accelerate and start flashing. I then pull out slower than normal knowing that 350 to 400 meters is more than enough space to go across to the far side, but, always with one eye on them, just in case the idiots due something even more stupid. But worst are the idiots who pull out of a u turn and veer over into the any lane other than the nearside.

I believe we have established that the Thai government isn't going to do anything about driving like this other than to allow it's citizens to slaughter each other on the roads with little or no repercussions or consequences.  The truck driver obviously is well aware of this.  At most because he didn't kill her he'll come away with a small fine and a wai if anything at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Let me know when you are out on the road so I know when to stay at home. You are a walking, talking accident magnet. 

Don't know how you got to this conclusion as I was talking about 3-4 incidents from 1994 till now, except for the 1st with was PARTLY my fault all others were not. But just so you know, I'm on the roads daily, from dawn to the early hour of the morning. I guess you'll stay home from now on

As already mentioned by another poster, it's an illegal U-turn without any signs on the road that indicates one.

In addition, there's a continuous yellow line that hardly allows anybody to make such a U-turn. The drugged driver drove his vehicle about one meter back to look more innocent. 

Only a foreigner would be guilty of driving a BMW and having enough cash to pay for all. 

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

As already mentioned by another poster, it's an illegal U-turn without any signs on the road that indicates one.

In addition, there's a continuous yellow line that hardly allows anybody to make such a U-turn

In a real country with laws and police, maybe, but this is Thailand... 

Have you not noticed that road markings, speed limits and traffic laws are just there for show ? People will do what they like to get from C to A via H if it will save them 4 seconds of their day !!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

In a real country with laws and police, maybe, but this is Thailand... 

Have you not noticed that road markings, speed limits and traffic laws are just there for show ? People will do what they like to get from C to A via H if it will save them 4 seconds of their day !!

Yep, in a real country with real people who are adults right after 18 and real cops who were educated in a real educational system, it would definitely be the drugged driver's fault. But, hey. We're in Lieland roughly speaking. Or Disneyland.

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Lady was going to fast on wet road truck driver was wrong TIT

Do you have a car cam! They make it appear that you are traveling far faster that you actually are ... best to have one with GPS ... and did you notice that the car didn't travel very far down the grassed area

Edited by JAS21