Time for Prayut to MOVE ON

webfact

By The Nation

images.jpg

NCPO must allow political activities to resume for the good of the nation

He led a junta group that pushed through a Constitution that placed most of the blame for the country’s political woes on politicians. But now, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha is urging them to accept new ground rules that impose restrictions making it almost impossible for many parties to operate.

A recent Suan Dusit Poll indicated that more than a third of the people surveyed were concerned with when and whether an election would take place. And yet, unnecessary restrictions are still in place, such as prohibiting political parties from meeting or even accepting new members.

National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) order No 53/2017 needs to be amended to allow political parties to accept new members.  Without revision, the order could cause problems at the next election, particularly regarding parties fielding their candidates.

As it stands, the new electoral law not only sets minimum numbers of party members but requires political parties to hold primary elections among their members in each of the 350 constituencies to select their election candidates. Many parties currently do not meet that requirement – thanks to the ongoing restraint on political activities that is entirely unnecessary.

But political parties should also understand that they have other options. Imagine what would happen to the NCPO’s standing in the eyes of the public if the parties decide collectively to boycott the upcoming general election.

The NCPO would need nerves of steel to tell the public that they have no choice but to stay in power longer – which is something they have been doing (going back on their word about election dates) for the past four years.

The NCPO needs to understand that the participation of these political parties legitimises the ground rules and the junta-drafted Constitution. Needless to say, it is far from perfect and, already, parties out there are committed to scraping or revising it to reflect 

the desire of the people. 

Instead of responding to public needs and desires, Prayut has been touring the country with his Cabinet under the guise of checking up on development projects. The stages that were set for him in these locations were identical to political rallies. 

Last month in Buri Ram, for example, Prayut was enthusiastically welcomed by more than 30,000 locals just a day before his Cabinet approved a costly irrigation project. In Nakhon Sawan, Prayut met with more than a dozen local former MPs and senators based in lower Northern and upper Central. 

“I have only come to follow up on development projects, not to campaign for politics as people with ill intentions claim,” the premier told the locals – sounding very much like US President Donald Trump. 

Regardless of the official explanation, observers agree that Prayut is seen as testing the waters to see if he has a political life after the NCPO returns its mandate to the people. 

At a recent stop, Prayut urged the public in Pichit to vote for people who they trust. “If you get the same old faces and they can’t fix anything, think about that for yourselves,” he said.

Perhaps he needs to reflect on what he said. In Thailand’s political theatre, a four-year show is a long time. In short, he and his government have become the old faces and it’s time for them to move on. 

The NCPO needs to stop acting like little children and allow political activities to take their own course. Specifically, they need to stop intimidating political parties, like asking the Election Commission to look into whether a political party vowing to tear up the Constitution once in power was lawful.

At one general assembly held at the Thammasat University, plainclothes security officers were taking photographs of key participants who were to be harassed later.

It’s time to end this childish behaviour and move on.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30347624

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-13
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Prayuth is going nowhere. No way will he give up power unless it is forced from his grip.

And certainly not while he and his cronies have got their snouts in the trough. London mansions are awfully expensive nowadays. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Prayuth is going nowhere. No way will he give up power unless it is forced from his grip.

Please do not disturb! He is tirelessly rehearsing. Be patient for updates:

MJ%20moonwalk%201_zps3sigshf4.gif

The NCPO needs to stop acting like little children and allow political activities to take their own course.

The NCPO? Prayut seems to be the childish guy who talks to others in baby language. Four years too long for him. Bye bye, P.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

It’s time to end this childish behaviour

It's not childish behavior.

That implies a sense of innocence, a lack direction, uncontrollable personal behavior.

Prayut's behavior is none of those characteristics.

For contrast I offer the characteristics of a psychopath from numerous references:

extremely self-absorbed, masterful liar, compassionless, sadistic, and boundless appetite for power, narcissistic, vain.

Either from genetic instinct, military mentality or deliberation, Prayut knows what he does and the effects he has on people.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Good on you, Nation!

This is the key.

The Junta cannot, in my view, continue to govern without a legitimate mandate from the Thai people. No, it wouldn't be perfect, but in order to continue the Junta needs to 'win' an election, and 'win' a relatively 'free and fair' election. Without it, they are merely power-stealing thugs, and dishonourable power-stealing thugs at that...

I have been saying this for a while, but Political Parties have power if they are willing to use it; they are the ones who will confer 'legitimacy' or not. If they participate in the process, that makes it legitimate. If they do not, they demonstrate it is a sham.

Political parties need to start speaking up about the process and making it clear that their participation requires a fair process. If they don't, then they cannot complain after the fact.

Political parties; you have power, but do you have the balls to use it? 

For the sake of Thailand and her future development, I sincerely hope you do, but we all need to see that nerve/courage/moral fortitude demonstrated.

And sooner rather than later...

Great points, Samui Bodoh.

The problem I foresee is that if the parties refused to participate in an election (and I actually agree with you on principle that they should do this - given the planned stitch-up), then Prayut and his junta will claim that they have no choice but to continue to rule for the good of the nation. Here is what he might say (prepare yourself for his usual B.S.):

'What do you want? Do you want us to leave our great nation without a leader and without direction? Do you want the Bad Man, who is behind the threatened chaos in Thailand, to return? Do you want old tired politicians to steal from you again? Do you think new young politicians who have no respect for laws to support our sovereign Majesty are not tied to bad people in foreign countries? Do you not understand that political parties who do not want to participate in an election prove they have no Thai-niyom sense and are irresponsible? What do you want? Do you want anarchy? Do you want mobs creating civil war? Or do you want a strong government that cares about Thailand and loves its people and wants REAL, THAI democracy? Do you not want this - as I do? Now it is time for me to get back to work and save Thailand once again from Bad People.'

And the sheep (in their millions - with only a few tens of thousands actively saying NO) will ruminate: 'He maybe has a point. I don't like him . But it is true we have not had chaos under Prayut. Let's wait and see what he will do. There is nothing we can do ...'.

And so the tyranny will continue.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Steven 100, you are back!

I see that you are confused by my posting, again.

My apologies; I cannot dumb it down any further for you; there is a minimum level required to make a point.

However, do not feel bad; I know that you are trying.

And if the mean, nasty TVF posters make fun of your lack of understanding, then you look them right in the eye and say; 

"My Mommy told me that I am Special!".

It is good to see Steven100 is back. I think many of us enjoy his posts. And I hope that Steven will dig out (as in the past) some particularly fetching and alluring photos of brave and majestic Prayut to attach to his comments. They always go down well and almost clinch his arguments in favour of the junta - well, almost!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1