Judicial Officers have “no plans to move out” of Doi Sutep Housing Despite Ban from PM

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

What I don't get with these building plots here, and KPP and elsewhere, is why the kerfuffle once the project is finished or near finished?

Why not demonstrate and complain at the beginning of these projects?

Surely people notice something is amiss when bulldozers etc start clearing land?

IIRC I think they have been complaining since the beginning, but it has only hit the national press recently.

33 minutes ago, cmsally said:
58 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I think the judges are just exercising their right to demonstrate peacefully :tongue:

Are there more than 5 of them!!  ?

There quite possibly are. If they were organised and protested on a rotating basis, it might get around the five people rule.

Just trying to be constructive helpful.

Well-organized citizens would know how to take the law - appropriately, as the source of all power - into their own hands. So far they've shown they can organize demonstrations & get themselves into the media.

I'm waiting breathlessly for the next steps, if any ...

16 hours ago, Lungstib said:

As we all know Thai law only applies to certain people. Obviously judges and their helpers are not included. The list of citizens above the law appears to be getting longer as military rule progresses.

To scare trespassers away, they refrain from posting these useless "BEWARE OF THE DOG" signs in hope this will do the job:

LAWS-R-US-350_zpsp05qcdxn.png

Edited by Lupatria

This was planned from the very beginning. They said the houses had to be finished, because of some kind of stupid contract. I guess the government just thought these stupid hillbillies couldnt figure anything out, or notice the houses were being lived in. TIT 

2 hours ago, tjinks said:

This is type of thing giving me 2nd thoughts about moving to Thailand

If this sort of thing upsets you then probably best you stay where you are. I doubt the corrupt junta and judges will miss you. You will save yourself a lot of immigration pain if you went somewhere else; like Vietnam or Cambodia.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:16 PM, pookiki said:

I have followed this case with much interest from the outset. One thing that I don't understand is what law, rule, or regulation allows/entitles certain government officials government to free housing?  Is this the case for all judges?

If you work for the government you can get a free apartment / house, the size depending on your rank, applies to all government workers. If you are married and have children you are entitled to a place which is big enough for all of your family.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, cmsally said:

The establishment has exposed it's true colors probably without even realizing it.  It has shown the non existence of the rule of law, this case being one of the most perfect examples.

don't know about that

but it does show who rules the law

Simple, if the PM has banned occupation, cut off the water and electricity, they will soo move and that is the end. As they move out prosecute them. What is the problem here. ?????????????????????????????????

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you work for the government you can get a free apartment / house, the size depending on your rank, applies to all government workers. If you are married and have children you are entitled to a place which is big enough for all of your family.

Can you provide the Thai law to support this statement?  I live in an area of Bangkok that is crawling with government workers and I have never heard of this provision. Must the apartment/house be built by the government?

17 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Can you provide the Thai law to support this statement?  I live in an area of Bangkok that is crawling with government workers and I have never heard of this provision. Must the apartment/house be built by the government?

I don't know where you could read about this, probably not a law but some ministerial order. So it's just my personal experience.

My GF is in the army, she has a free house, but because she has a low rank she has to share it with another girl (townhouse style, 2 small bedrooms, living room, bath), but in the other houses in this area are also "normal" government workers, not only soldiers. At other places I know a teacher who has a house which she shares with a coworker, and i know somebody who works public health something, has a free apartment. The retired uncle (army) of my ex GF has a free condo / apartment in Bangkok.

I do assume there are limitations. If there are simply no free houses / apartments available they have to rent something (and pay it by themself). According to my GF, at the place where she stays (owned by the army) the soldiers have the priority, when there is free space it is given to government workers. And there seems to be some kind of queue for them.

These houses are always owned by the government (and are usually very close to their work place), the government would not pay the rent for an external house / apartment / condo.

Edited by jackdd

These are the upper crust of Thai society by Buddha and the little people be damn.  Laughs ?

What a perfect study for the inquisitive foreign student of Thai culture.  Two case studies say it all: The indigenous Karen tribes are unceremoniously kicked out of their forest homes for 'encroachment' while legal paperwork shuffling makes the Doi Suthep scar and freebie housing for the upper-crust all above board.  Take ethics and morality and simply throw them out the window.  Those concepts are and always will be a dead-end in this country.  And what a perfect statement: the mighty feudal lords lauding over a city of peons from the heights of the most sacred Doi Suthep.  Nothing like the smell of power in the morning, 'eh??? 

Well, at least we all know the lay of the land.  As a foreigner it's entertaining to watch. 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:39 AM, jackdd said:

I don't know where you could read about this, probably not a law but some ministerial order. So it's just my personal experience.

My GF is in the army, she has a free house, but because she has a low rank she has to share it with another girl (townhouse style, 2 small bedrooms, living room, bath), but in the other houses in this area are also "normal" government workers, not only soldiers. At other places I know a teacher who has a house which she shares with a coworker, and i know somebody who works public health something, has a free apartment. The retired uncle (army) of my ex GF has a free condo / apartment in Bangkok.

I do assume there are limitations. If there are simply no free houses / apartments available they have to rent something (and pay it by themself). According to my GF, at the place where she stays (owned by the army) the soldiers have the priority, when there is free space it is given to government workers. And there seems to be some kind of queue for them.

These houses are always owned by the government (and are usually very close to their work place), the government would not pay the rent for an external house / apartment / condo.

OK-- thanks for the explanation.  I've certainly know of instances where hospital workers and teachers are given 'shared' housing near the hospital or school. As far as I know, the housing is allocated for 'single' employees - not for married couples or couples with children. However, in this instance, the housing was built specifically for judiciary employees and their families.  I would imagine there must be some kind of pecking order but the housing is certainly an impressive perk!  Even if it is a perk, the housing apparently was in intrusion into a national park - an event that would have usually been dealt with very severely along with the imposition of long prison terms. All hail the judiciary!

If this sort of thing upsets you then probably best you stay where you are. I doubt the corrupt junta and judges will miss you. You will save yourself a lot of immigration pain if you went somewhere else; like Vietnam or Cambodia.
Of course they won't miss me. No need when they have the likes of you

Sent from my Pixel XL using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, Lungstib said:

... The list of citizens above the law appears to be getting longer as military rule progresses.

Soldiers are known to be short of cash, so I.O.U.s are used instead.