A $6 Billion Railway Helps Builders Become Thailand's Top Stocks

webfact

A $6 Billion Railway Helps Builders Become Thailand's Top Stocks

By Anuchit Nguyen and Lee J Miller

>> Construction firms have rebounded from worst quarter on record

>> Thailand to release detailed plans for rail project on Monday

A revival in optimism about Thai infrastructure projects has helped shares of the nation’s contractors rebound from a record slide.

A measure of construction and engineering companies has surged about 7 percent so far this quarter, making it the biggest gainer among the Stock Exchange of Thailand’s 28 industry sub-gauges. That marks a turnaround from the group’s worst ever slide of 18 percent in the previous quarter. The shares are a rare bright spot in Thai equities, with the benchmark SET Index down 4 percent since March.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha, who seized power in a 2014 military coup, is trying to speed up infrastructure projects ahead of a general election expected in February. The government on Monday will unveil terms of reference for a 200 billion baht ($6 billion) high-speed train project linking three international airports closest to Bangkok.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-17/a-6-billion-railway-helps-builders-become-thailand-s-top-stocks

-- Bloomberg 2018-06-18

1 minute ago, Cadbury said:

Yes you are correct, it did start then. The PM had a slap up party for all his elite friends to celebrate the turning of the first sod. Much cheering and applause and mutual backslapping. I expect he had a gold plated spade made especially for the occasion. 

No one should be in the least surprised that since the turning of that first shovel full of dirt nothing has happened. The Prayut government's speciality is underachieving. 

I'm saying nothing.

11 minutes ago, JAG said:

Patience, patience. These things take time. The right people have to acquire the land, in order for the authorities to then purchase it for an appropriate price. Contracts have to be negotiated, and finding the most appropriate and generously inclined people to begin negotiations with is vital to the success and smooth conduct of the negotiations - all this takes time. Only when these less formal, undocumented (and therefore often misunderstood) processes are completed satisfactorily can progress be made.

Bangkok wasn't built in a day you know...

I just don't know where you get your cynicism from. Oh I do - the same as me - PEye.

True, Bangkok wasn't built in a day - but only because you-know-who wasn't on that job.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

If this young man was around today, he'd get it done.  

image.jpeg

Very true - but even though he did have Kingdom in his name, I think he'd struggle here.

Mind you, he was that efficient he'd probably have completed the entire job before the bureaucrats realised what he was doing.

• Haha 1

Finish the 3k testTrack on High speed bullshit express Line 1 first .

I've actuary lost count of High speed bullshit express's . Is this part of High speed bullshit express Line 2 and 3 or a new High speed bullshit express Line 4 ?

They cannot yet get a modern and safe working railway system around the country, yet are planning on building high speed rail. 

I for one certainly won't be using these trains when they first come into action. Whenever that may be. 

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

Finish the 3k testTrack on High speed bullshit express Line 1 first .

I've actuary lost count of High speed bullshit express's . Is this part of High speed bullshit express Line 2 and 3 or a new High speed bullshit express Line 4 ?

You and me both mate.

Line 1. I can't remember how long for that 3km stretch: Was it a year - two years - a decade? There have been so many different ideas, dates, specs, given for all these BS express sections.

It must follow the normal crackdown formula: A lot of waffle and a photo opportunity, then within a month it's all forgotten.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You and me both mate.

Line 1. I can't remember how long for that 3km stretch: Was it a year - two years - a decade? There have been so many different ideas, dates, specs, given for all these BS express sections.

It must follow the normal crackdown formula: A lot of waffle and a photo opportunity, then within a month it's all forgotten.

It's what they do exceedingly well..............

image.jpeg.d9318ac03da141dfc2f257d627334b1d.jpegimage.jpeg.a049d028e749f9d84ead8e8931c986ab.jpegà¸à¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¹à¸à¸«à¸²à¸£à¸¹à¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸ªà¸³à¸«à¸£à¸±à¸ bullshit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The government on Monday will unveil terms of reference for a 200 billion baht ($6 billion) high-speed train project linking three international airports closest to Bangkok.

Why ?  Why high speed ?  The distance between Swampi and DMK are not that far.  How fast does the train need to be?  Phnom Penh does it with a slow train.  Sounds like a gift or a thank you to the golden circle.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

they are already clearing the path for the new tracks in Hua Hin.

go  further  down  and  theyve  built  many  flyovers  near  sam  roi yot,/ pranburi, huge  things,  no  more  level  crossings  thats  for  sure

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If this young man was around today, he'd get it done.  

image.jpeg

he  worked  himself  to  death...............absolutely NO chance of that here.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Why ?  Why high speed ?  The distance between Swampi and DMK are not that far.  How fast does the train need to be?  Phnom Penh does it with a slow train.  Sounds like a gift or a thank you to the golden circle.

The line is already  in place from Phaya Thai to BKK airport on the ARLink. SRT owns the right of way to DMK and from Swampy to U-Tapao via Chonburi and Pattaya should be relatively easy if not expensive due to the speculators buying up land. As other posters have said, most of this whole subject is bovine fecal matter. Just get on with it.

• Like 1

kannot

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

they are already clearing the path for the new tracks in Hua Hin.

go  further  down  and  theyve  built  many  flyovers  near  sam  roi yot,/ pranburi, huge  things,  no  more  level  crossings  thats  for  sure

Terry sayz: I see grading 10 meters wide on the East side of the railroad tracks when approaching the TESCO Lotus in Pran Buri. The flyover (overpass) on the South side of Pran Buri is in progress.  Tons and tons of concrete and fairly good rebar.  There is no overpass (flyover) under construction yet as you

approach the TESCO Lotus in the center of Pran Buri.  Hmmm?

Edited by Fortean1
Personal details were not deleted by me.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

kannot

Terry sayz: I see grading 10 meters wide on the East side of the railroad tracks when approaching the TESCO Lotus in Pran Buri. The flyover (overpass) on the South side of Pran Buri is in progress.  Tons and tons of concrete and fairly good rebar.  There is no overpass (flyover) under construction yet as you

approach the TESCO Lotus in the center of Pran Buri.  Hmmm?

Ye s no work here yet and also down at Khao Takiab crossing also but the land was fenced off with wire fencing a  few  years ago to stop folk using  it for whatever reasons.

The bridges are all pretty huge affairs as u said a lot of concrete...................also if you get into the centre of Pranburi coming from BKK direction ( next junction after Tesco) and at the traffic lights  turn LEFT and  follow  that road thru Pranburi then they have built the flyover there already so they are getting very close to the TESCO crossing area.

Edited by kannot

On 6/18/2018 at 9:30 AM, Cadbury said:

Yes you are correct, it did start then. The PM had a slap up party for all his elite friends to celebrate the turning of the first sod. Much cheering and applause and mutual backslapping. I expect he had a gold plated spade made especially for the occasion. 

No one should be in the least surprised that since the turning of that first shovel full of dirt nothing has happened. The Prayut government's speciality is underachieving. 

Turn off the highway no 2 between Korat & Khon Kaen for example to Bua Yai and you will see that they are already seriously working on it. You will be the one that is surprised that since the turning of that first shovel full of dirt a lot has happened.

4 minutes ago, asiamaster said:

Turn off the highway no 2 between Korat & Khon Kaen for example to Bua Yai and you will see that they are already seriously working on it. You will be the one that is surprised that since the turning of that first shovel full of dirt a lot has happened.

I'm surprised too - genuinely.

I thought the route had not yet been finalised as there were still surveys, etc. to be done?

I still don't know if it's going to be double or single track - the last I heard, it was stated double track would be too expensive, so they were 'considering' single track.

Again, the 3km test track just north of Saraburi(?) was supposed to be completed first. Or perhaps that was Plan G - there have been so many of them.

I remember a few months ago someone posted that construction was under-way, but then another poster said that was a tram/light transit project for either Korat or Khon Kaen - I can't honestly remember which one.