Pig farmers call for help to boost pig price

webfact

Pig farmers call for help to boost pig price

By Thai PBS

2018-06-18_233719.png

Pig farmers from Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri and Kanchanaburi provinces gathered at a hotel in Ratchaburi’s Muang district on Monday with the deputy governor of Ratchaburi for a serious discussion on how to boost the price of live pigs in four months.

The pig farmers claimed that the price of ex-farm live pigs has been nosedived steadily for almost a year to the present level of 53 baht per kilgramme against their cost at between 60-63 baht per kg.

Mr Nipat Nuanim, president of Ratchaburi Pig Farmers Association, told the meeting that, after ten months, there has been no positive sign that the price of live pigs will rebound. He blamed the price drop to huge number of pigs in the four provinces which collectively account for 25 percent of pigs of the whole country and the movements of pigs to other provinces.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pig-farmers-call-help-boost-pig-price/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-19

This calls for a government Thai Niyom funded pig buy-back scheme at prices they need to cover their costs. Farmers are losing money and need help.

Heaven knows there are plenty of empty rice sheds out there that need filling and which would be quite comfortable for the pigs. There might even be some rice left in them which the pigs could eat. A win win situation.

• Haha 1

More off topic trolls have been removed and I will say again if you don't have an interest in a topic please don't make ridiculous comments about what in this case

is a very serious problem for the farmers concerned.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, please don't bother posting.

Supply and demand.  My uncle in the US had a regular full-time job and farmed about 100+ Rai evenings and weekends.  He claimed greedy (or ill-informed) farmers always jumped on the bandwagon of whatever they thought was pricey and trending.  Supply goes up, prices go down.

I wonder how much goes to the shippers, processors and middlemen. 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Supply and demand.  My uncle in the US had a regular full-time job and farmed about 100+ Rai evenings and weekends.  He claimed greedy (or ill-informed) farmers always jumped on the bandwagon of whatever they thought was pricey and trending.  Supply goes up, prices go down.

In economics this phenomenon is referred to as the "pork cycle", which is quite a fitting name looking at the subject of the article.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

In economics this phenomenon is referred to as the "pork cycle", which is quite a fitting name looking at the subject of the article.

Same goes for rice and buying it off farmers rice or pork won't do a thing to stop the underlying problem. It will only make the problem worse. 

• Like 1

So nothing new

But i wouldn't say an over supply

When I go to the shops it is costing 100 bht + per Kilo Leg & Shoulder cuts

Pork Belly & Tenderloin 130  bht

Half the time you can't get some of them - This is at main retailers not where the small business's go 

• Like 1

Forty plus years ago, I attended a Deutz-Fahr dealer convention. One of the company speakers was a former district sales-rep for Pioneer Seed Corn. He told while working for Pioneer his main job was to attend farmers co-operative meetings as a keynote speaker. At this convention, he spoke on the mindset of farmers always complaining about low crop prices. He told how one year the corn prices were very low and at each of the co-op meetings, he advised farmers that if they reduced planting acreage 10% next year, the selling price for corn would go up. Most of the farmers in attendance seemed to be in agreement with this concept. But the next planting season Pioneer had record sales of seed corn in his district. Every farmer must have thought everyone else was going to plant 10% less, so they planted more. This resulted in even lower prices the next harvest.           Even if they agree to reduce pig breeding numbers, it won't happen. Farmers are greedy and can't fathom the concept of supply and demand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Pineapples which I grow were 12  baht a kilo at the factory here last year BUT we  cannot sell direct to the factory so we have to go thru an agent and we get........................7 baht a  kilo.

To sell direct to the factory they want people only growing over 10 rai + they want to come out to your land before you plant them to check???

First year I got about £2500 for the crop but i dont really grow them for profit so neglected to fertilise and other things which makes them smaller and they price them according to size, BIG 7 bahta  kilo small 1.5-2 baht a kilo, they make a very good  profit thats for sure.

Edited by kannot

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Forty plus years ago, I attended a Deutz-Fahr dealer convention. One of the company speakers was a former district sales-rep for Pioneer Seed Corn. He told while working for Pioneer his main job was to attend farmers co-operative meetings as a keynote speaker. At this convention, he spoke on the mindset of farmers always complaining about low crop prices. He told how one year the corn prices were very low and at each of the co-op meetings, he advised farmers that if they reduced planting acreage 10% next year, the selling price for corn would go up. Most of the farmers in attendance seemed to be in agreement with this concept. But the next planting season Pioneer had record sales of seed corn in his district. Every farmer must have thought everyone else was going to plant 10% less, so they planted more. This resulted in even lower prices the next harvest.           Even if they agree to reduce pig breeding numbers, it won't happen. Farmers are greedy and can't fathom the concept of supply and demand. 

This is called the "prisoners dilemma", if everybody works together (and produce less) they will maximize their profits, but for each individual member it pays to break the rules (as they can sell their high production at high prices). Without cooperation it will mean everybody breaks the rules, and nobody profits.

• Like 1

Probably big buying companies trying to squeeze. They squeeze  to lower prices and export, making more.

Price in Thailand remains the same and even maybe a shortage. The best pigs will be for export and the others for internal market.

In Holland we grow onions, but there are big ones and small ones. The bigger ones are exported and the smaller ones, you can buy in shops ofcourse for "normal" price. 

Ofcourse supply and demand are factors in price , but wonder about that effect. It is more about the generated profit of big companies and the squeezing. It is the same with bananas in South America and probably with lots of more products. Just big buying companies in power.

saw a docu of USA , where a farmer was growing strawberries. He didnt get a right price (loosing) and it was economical for the farmer to let it rot away then taking it off the land and sell it. And that was a real large area. 

Big buying companies have much power in it and they dont care for farmer or consumer. It is all about just profit in their pockets.

• Like 1

..... and the rice farmers complain about low prices, so are the rubber producers and anyone else including his Uncle as long as it has anything to do with agriculture.
As far as Thai-Commodity prices are concerned, we are in a deflationary environement. My Thai neighbor-farmers are hurting.
All heavily into debt (a brand new Pick-Up Truck is a "must", etc etc).

But worst: I have tried to convince local pig producers to act against the infamous "Hog-Cycle", meaning: Lighten up on the number of pigs when prices are high and start to increase the number of pigs if prices are low.
During a 5 year period, none of the many local hog producers have followed my advice. Very frustrating.
Overall, Thai's seem to have difficulties when it comes to comprehend the concept of "supply and demand". (not only farmers).
No wonder that small farmers are increasingly heading for the Big-Cities. But how many Moto-Taxis and Security Guards does a Big City need?

So, while the income-situation in rural Thailand remains mostly stagnant, the "Hostesses" in Pattaya do not seem to be stuck in a deflationary environement. Compared to 5 years ago, the equasion looks like this: Charge 50% more and deliver 30% less service and look 20% uglier than the generation before. A 100% success story. Clearly, supply and demand must be at work.:wink:
No wonder that those "winners" are not really interested in the price of pork in their village back home.
Cheers.

• Haha 1