Britain has lost the war on cannabis - former Conservative leader

webfact

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How about a parking ticket? Are people that get parking tickets not decent people?

In the UK I smoked cannabis every day, if the police did a stop and search and found me with a small bag, they would just hand it back.

Cannabis is so prolific in the UK, nobody cares any more.

No point in having laws that everyone ignores, that's just silly.

In the UK you now lose your driving license if found driving under the influence of drugs...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, transam said:

In the UK you now lose your driving license if found driving under the influence of drugs...

I live in London, flat near Hyde Park, no personal transportation beyond a bicycle.

Big bottle of fake 'Cinzano' from Tesco with lemonade, a few joints and a Tesco Curry microwave meal ( two for a fiver) for the perfect evening home alone. You should go back for a while Tranny, it isn't that bad, apart from the wind the rain and the cold, and the lack of available women at an affordable price.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Basil B said:

Sorry but people who break the law are not decent people[FULLSTOP]

Listening to (I think it was Vince Cable) on the radio this morning made my blood boil "legalize it and the problem will go away"...

Will it heck, do you think if they legalise and taxed it and limit the strength, those that grow it will just shut up shop???

Those that grow it are already competition to grow the strongest "brain pickling" skunk, thew will continue to grow it illegally, renting property from unsuspecting landlords and trashing their property in the process, stealing thousands of pounds worth of electricity every month, risk of causing fires and even putting lives in danger.

In a few years Cannabis related illnesses will over take tobacco related illnesses a the biggest drain on healthcare and welfare resources. 

weed is bad MMMMKay?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I live in London, flat near Hyde Park, no personal transportation beyond a bicycle.

Big bottle of fake 'Cinzano' from Tesco with lemonade, a few joints and a Tesco Curry microwave meal ( two for a fiver) for the perfect evening home alone. You should go back for a while Tranny, it isn't that bad, apart from the rain and the cold.

I am not posh...:stoner:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How about a parking ticket? Are people that get parking tickets not decent people?

In the UK I smoked cannabis every day, if the police did a stop and search and found me with a small bag, they would just hand it back.

Depends whether they do it by accident, or just taking a chance or bloody mindedness...

Had a job in the city the other day had to park some distance and walk half a mile with a heavy tool box, while walking to the job a Rolls Royce pulls up near where I was working,  left unattended at a spot reserved for taxis for over 20 minutes with the hazards flashing...

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

You know there is already a growing number of countries, where (semi) legalization had not resulted in any of the problems you signal.

I do not know about other countries like Holland, but I am aware of what is happening in the UK not just from the TV but first hand, an I know that if it is legalised having to prove ones age, only mild varieties and taxed, would not stop the illegal production of stronger verities sold to anyone untaxed.

It will not stop:

19 hours ago, Basil B said:

Those that grow it are already competition to grow the strongest "brain pickling" skunk, thew will continue to grow it illegally, renting property from unsuspecting landlords and trashing their property in the process, stealing thousands of pounds worth of electricity every month, risk of causing fires and even putting lives in danger.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, malibukid said:

legalize it, HM could use the money

Could go towards the £20 Billion for the NHS but will the tax raised cover the cost too society the use of the substance will cost society??? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I do not know about other countries like Holland, but I am aware of what is happening in the UK not just from the TV but first hand, an I know that if it is legalised having to prove ones age, only mild varieties and taxed, would not stop the illegal production of stronger verities sold to anyone untaxed.

It will not stop:

Using your own quote to prove your case doesn't work.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Well I enjoy the odd spliff now and then but not as often as a good bottle of red wine.  I think I know more people who smoke cannabis than go to the pub every other night and I would say they are all pretty decent people.  I started smoking recreational cannabis at uni and that was nearly fifty years ago.  I think if I was going to get "hooked" on it then it would have happened years ago.

Canada has just passed a bill legalising Marijuana for recreational purposes.  Eventually it will get legalised just about everywhere but until then we will have to keep on buying it under the counter.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Basil B said:

Listening to (I think it was Vince Cable) on the radio this morning made my blood boil "legalize it and the problem will go away"...

Will it heck, do you think if they legalise and taxed it and limit the strength, those that grow it will just shut up shop???

In a few years Cannabis related illnesses will over take tobacco related illnesses a the biggest drain on healthcare and welfare resources. 

Damn. Canada must be in big trouble then!! 55555.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Well I enjoy the odd spliff now and then but not as often as a good bottle of red wine.  I think I know more people who smoke cannabis than go to the pub every other night and I would say they are all pretty decent people.  I started smoking recreational cannabis at uni and that was nearly fifty years ago.  I think if I was going to get "hooked" on it then it would have happened years ago.

Canada has just passed a bill legalising Marijuana for recreational purposes.  Eventually it will get legalised just about everywhere but until then we will have to keep on buying it under the counter.

Hey, if you have President Trump as your neighbor, I think you're be entitled to abuse any substance you could lay your hands on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

It will not stop:

In 2 years you will have data from a G7 country which disproves your entire diatribe.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Basil B said:

You're making the entirely unwarranted assumption that stronger version of cannabis are illegal. They're not in Colorado or California. I don't know of anyplace that has done that. In Canada it's up to the provinces. But the provinces that have already legalized cannabis make no rules about its strength.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Basil B said:
2 hours ago, malibukid said:

legalize it, HM could use the money

Could go towards the £20 Billion for the NHS but will the tax raised cover the cost too society the use of the substance will cost society??? 

Your assumption is that all weed usage will be by people who didn't switch from alcohol, nicotine, speed, or other more hazardous alternatives.  If a guy blows a little dope instead of getting drunk or tweaked, the net effect is favorable. 

I've never seen a doper pick a fight or pickle a liver.  But they better ramp up the snack food production.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, grkt said:

Nothing should be illegal, but people have to know what they buy.

Sometimes I might want a 5% thc and sometimes 15%, just as I sometimes drink wine, but sometimes rum...

Dispensaries I have used are happy to tell you strain and strength.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You're making the entirely unwarranted assumption that stronger version of cannabis are illegal. They're not in Colorado or California. I don't know of anyplace that has done that. In Canada it's up to the provinces. But the provinces that have already legalized cannabis make no rules about its strength.

Switzerland did it in the 90's, there was just one weak strain available from the pharmacy.

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

Yes we have learned in the intervening 20 yrs.

Ok, just read about it, and what happened was that in the 1990's when they legalised hemp they did so in a way that allowed any cannabis to be grown, but not sold as cannabis, and this led to people finding a way around the law by selling products that were made with low grade cannabis and marketed as other things, such as potpourri.  They passed a law in 1999 allowing products made from cannabis as long as they were of low enough THC content, until 2004 when they stopped that altogether and then instead allowed people to grow a few plants for personal consumption.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

Yes we have learned in the intervening 20 yrs.

Ok, just read about it, and what happened was that in the 1990's when they legalised hemp they did so in a way that allowed any cannabis to be grown, but not sold as cannabis, and this led to people finding a way around the law by selling products that were made with low grade cannabis and marketed as other things, such as potpourri.  They passed a law in 1999 allowing products made from cannabis as long as they were of low enough THC content, until 2004 when they stopped that altogether and then instead allowed people to grow a few plants for personal consumption.

46 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You are confusing hemp with "marijuana". Easy to make the mistake, as they are the same plant. Some few cantonments allow for growing hemp.

The difference is in the selective breeding for either low or high THC content. Hemp is processed but never consumed.

Edited by bobbin
edit. it is consumed in some oil-based products but never for recreation.

1 minute ago, bobbin said:

You are confusing hemp with "marijuana". Easy to make the mistake, as they are the same plant. Some few cantonments allow for growing hemp.

The difference is in the selective breeding for either low or high THC content. Hemp is processed but never consumed.

I'm not, the Swiss government passed a law that was supposed to allow hemp farming but actually allowed anyone to grow cannabis, but not to sell it as cannabis, so they grew cannabis and sold it as potpourri.  Then they allowed products to be sold that contained low levels of THC, there was a product was called Swiss Air, and that was not hemp but a natural non selectively bred cannabis, weak but certainly not hemp.

3 minutes ago, Ulic said:

The countries winning the war on Cannabis........Uruguay, Canada, Holland......some US states as well. 

Also North Korea, Spain and some states of India, and then there are all the places where possession is decriminalised; some states of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Georgia, Germany, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Russia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Ukraine, 

• Like 1

Cannabis only became illegal in New Zealand in 1975 with the misuse of Drugs act. The use of it is widespread and all the law does is deliver the Business into the hands of Organised Gangs. Probably the same Scenario as Britain and many other Countries. Legalisation does not mean Other harder substances are ok it just means you dont waste resources on the lesser evil

18 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Cannabis only became illegal in New Zealand in 1975 with the misuse of Drugs act. The use of it is widespread and all the law does is deliver the Business into the hands of Organised Gangs. Probably the same Scenario as Britain and many other Countries. Legalisation does not mean Other harder substances are ok it just means you dont waste resources on the lesser evil

Well actually decriminalization of possession and use of hard drugs has been a big success in Portugal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

My argument is legalising it will not stop the hard stuff or it being sold to kids.

Which is your opinion. The experiences in other countries show you're wrong. And that is a fact.

I always remember that alcohol was considered easily the most dangerous drug many years ago when I was in nurse training. Worse than cocaine. Cannabis was considered  safe unless it was super strong mix or  over used. Just like any drug.

The evidence has been out there for years and with countries like Portugal and Canada leading the way I would expect most would follow them within ten years. After all, most drugs if misused are dangerous, even caffeine.

The people carrying on as they do now are probably thinking they are doing the right thing so as not to lose votes, or just maybe they are covering up on their own bad behaviour by trying to appear to be super clean.

• Like 1