Has the Darkside lost it’s sparkle?

getithere328

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, giddyup said:
Very informative.

Well you were trying to big the prices up "at least 15000" i was just pointing out that lower rents are easily possible. In a way compensation for living there

You know of one guy who paid 10,000 for years, well that must mean there are thousands of houses available at that price, doesn't it?  You have no idea of what the prices are on the dark side, like most of your info it comes from where the sun don't shine. BTW, the houses in my village rent for a minimum of 20,000.

Edited by giddyup
  • Confused 1

You know of one guy who paid 10,000 for years, well that must mean there are thousands of houses available at that price, doesn't it?  You have no idea of what the prices are on the dark side, like most of your info it comes from where the sun don't shine. BTW, the houses in my village rent for a minimum of 20,000.
Now you're bigging the prices up to 20,000 by the end of the day could be 50,000. Who mentioned 1000s available at 10,000? Oh yes you not me 555. You do seem in denial, no police checkpoints on the darkside and no houses to rent for circ 10000, give yourself a shake
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Now you're bigging the prices up to 20,000 by the end of the day could be 50,000. Who mentioned 1000s available at 10,000? Oh yes you not me 555. You do seem in denial, no police checkpoints on the darkside and no houses to rent for circ 10000, give yourself a shake

I live here, you don't, that makes me better informed that what you fabricate or what some bar fly told you, so end of, your info/opinion is worth squat. Bye.

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
57 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What's to shake? There are villages on the dark side with 2-beds that start under 10 k a month all the way up to the more prestigious 3 and 4 bedroom places easily getting more than 100 k month.

Checkpoints are along the railroad tracks, up kaonoi, kaotalo and all the usual in-between routes to/from all the other farang ghetto's. Venture a little further out and there's bugger all police checks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What's to shake? There are villages on the dark side with 2-beds that start under 10 k a month all the way up to the more prestigious 3 and 4 bedroom places easily getting more than 100 k month.

Checkpoints are along the railroad tracks, up kaonoi, kaotalo and all the usual in-between routes to/from all the other farang ghetto's. Venture a little further out and there's bugger all police checks.

scubascuba3 has probably been no farther than Beach and Second roads, with a few trips to Soi 6, yet he's an expert on the dark side. Expert my toot.

• Like 1

If you read the whole thread you may have a better understanding about shaking
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The manic said:

Ask around about the Air Con unit scam. Call total B.S. all you want. I call self delusion. You have bought into the DS I have not. You are fuelled by wishful thinking but I am not. After 28 years here i know a few things...Crime is rampant on the DS which is why people are leaving. Even walled communities are not safe. The DS is not just a tedious SH full of bores....it's now less safe than WS.....After dark especiall.....These crimes especially comited by MC riders and house burglars dont get the Publicity that WS crime gets...Yes the DS is loosing what attraction it had...old hands are leaving quickly and quietly. All you have to do is ask around..why is it so s**t?

On the way back from Naklua this morning we called in to see the Mother-in-law over in the Pattaya dark side Crocodile Soi. The place was a buzz with trucks moving people out of the area and almost like one of those killer virus movies. Two Farangs sitting outside a nearby 7 didn't look too bothered though, guess they lack the 28 years living in LOS experience.

54 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Two Farangs sitting outside a nearby 7 didn't look too bothered though, guess they lack the 28 years living in LOS experience.

I guess they were dealing with reality not delusion.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Many houses are available for less than 10000, I know it from this forum, but I don't know the villages names.

17 minutes ago, grkt said:

Many houses are available for less than 10000, I know it from this forum, but I don't know the villages names.

You can also get rooms for 4000 baht in Pattaya. You get what you pay for.

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

10000 for  a 1 bedroom house that the owner cannot let or sell is more than enough...

On 6/23/2018 at 7:23 AM, jerry921 said:

I get why someone might turn their nose up at the polluted and eroding Pattaya beach and decide that the go-go bars & walking street lack appeal, but then why choose pattaya at all? What else is Pattaya famous for? Why not anywhere else in Thailand?

It is puzzling! People chose to live full time in Pattaya, but then object to bars. Gawd knows there are countless dead, forgotten places not far, Sri Radha is 30 minutes away, no annoying girls pestering you in a bar, in fact, nothing going on at all, so the place must feel like heaven. 

Is it because of Tesco and Western restaurants, maybe? Some here admit they prefer UK, but tax laws keep them here. But why Pattaya? Man saves some money on taxes, but spends lasts remaining years in misery, living in a place he really does not like. Wouldn't it make sense to live where we actually like, even if it means playing more tax? Why suffer half way around the world? Is it to save money? But then why even have money? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

It is puzzling! People chose to live full time in Pattaya, but then object to bars. Gawd knows there are countless dead, forgotten places not far, Sri Radha is 30 minutes away, no annoying girls pestering you in a bar, in fact, nothing going on at all, so the place must feel like heaven. 

I live on the East side of the dead forgotten Si Racha as you call it. Si Racha is in an industrial zone with manufacturing and shipping industries linked to the port of Laemchabang. Its really not the place for expats unless they are working in local industry. Lot of Japanese living and working the area which is nice. 

As for girls pestering in bars,  its got its own style.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Darkside had a sparkle? I've been here 10y and never noticed it, it's semi-sticks, suits me fine. 

Its always had readily available short time fixes for those in need of a scene change. I guess that's what some see as a sparkle.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, jerry921 said:

Sorry for a dumb (but serious) question, but where precisely is "the dark side" in Pattaya?

East side of Sukhumvit. So not the beach side.  I think it's also referred to as East Pattaya.

Edited by lapd

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

I looked many times for something on the darkside.  Yes you can get something for 10k which is your own self contained villa in Chokchee village or whatever it's called.  But the road floods in that low lying area near the train tracks every time it rains.  So going across Sukumvit on a scooter for shopping can be quite the adventure sometimes.  So then it starts to make sense to have a car which is more money.  

In the end it just makes more sense to pay a little more and stay on the beach side.  At least for me.  You can find reasonably priced places a little closer to sukhumvit and you can take baht busses to get around when it rains.  It's just more convenient for everything.  Only area I would consider on the darkside is near sukhumvit around Klang.  With that new underpass it's a lot easier crossing sukhumvit around there and you have the  foodland and BigC for groceries nearby.

Edited by lapd

38 minutes ago, lapd said:

In the end it just makes more sense to pay a little more and stay on the beach side.  At least for me.  You can find reasonably priced places a little closer to sukhumvit and you can take baht busses to get around when it rains.  It's just more convenient for everything.  Only area I would consider on the darkside is near sukhumvit around Klang.  With that new underpass it's a lot easier crossing sukhumvit around there and you have the  foodland and BigC for groceries nearby.

For a single guy the beach side either Pattaya or Jomtien makes more sense, but for someone like me whose partner is a serious gardener a house with land was the only option, she would have gone stir crazy in a condo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Propped up on a bar stool next to a hooker is fun? Might have had some novelty value 9 years ago when I first arrived, but that soon wore off.

I told you that you should've bar fined her sister. She was always loads more fun.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

For a single guy the beach side either Pattaya or Jomtien makes more sense, but for someone like me whose partner is a serious gardener a house with land was the only option, she would have gone stir crazy in a condo.

..or driven you batty first.

Good move though. I liked Nongplalai myself, the 'lado oscuro del norte' and on the right side of Pattaya to get to Bangkok and the main airports quickly.

nongplalai.jpg.aff14c31966bb4c6b112bd9927dca6ac.jpg