Police swoop is "No Joke" after Pattaya beach trader threatens to shoot Chinese tourist

webfact

Is it legal to sell real crocodile skin bags in Thailand? Is it legal to sell fake ones claiming they're genuine? Is it legal to sell fake ones if you say they're fake? Or were they fake brand name imitation crocodile skin bags? Seems like something smells fishy here.

:cheesy:

Everyone's concentrating on the hard sales tactic and ignoring the legality of the product.

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

So if somebody offers you an item for 400 THB (normal price 100 THB) and you ask for a discount and he offers it to you for 200 THB you are obliged to buy it? Where do you get such strange ideas from?

Not obliged to buy, no one can force you, but in Asia it’s expected you will buy once you engage in the haggling process. In street/ night markets that is, you definitely don’t want to be asking the price if you don’t intend to buy.  They get mighty annoyed if you pull that caper.

Fresh off the boat here are we? 

22 minutes ago, aircooledflat4 said:

Not obliged to buy, no one can force you, but in Asia it’s expected you will buy once you engage in the haggling process. In street/ night markets that is, you definitely don’t want to be asking the price if you don’t intend to buy.  They get mighty annoyed if you pull that caper.

I've never heard this and never seen this. But i've turned down offers myself many times, i've seen Thai people (GF, friends...) discussing about the price and then not buying it, and have seen my vietnamese ex GF do this in Vietnam as well. I did never see any bad reaction (or had the impression that he feels we are obliged to buy it) of any vendor about this. So for me the situation that you describe sounds very strange.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:27 AM, webfact said:

asked guides with Chinese tourists to understand that he and his mates are just trying to make money for their families.

All I understand from that statement is that this man is a dangerous narcissist.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I've never heard this and never seen this. But i've turned down offers myself many times, i've seen Thai people (GF, friends...) discussing about the price and then not buying it, and have seen my vietnamese ex GF do this in Vietnam as well. I did never see any bad reaction (or had the impression that he feels we are obliged to buy it) of any vendor about this. So for me the situation that you describe sounds very strange.

every situation, every vendor, every buyer, every deal,the length of haggling, every negotiation has varying characteristics and results and reactions will also will be different.

But I am sure this is an isolated case.Here you have a vendor with a possible anger disorder (like many Thais), family issues, drug use etc. and if chinese is a type  who could drive anyone nuts, you add to this mix the language barrier and misunderstandings and you got yourself a time bomb.

Keep in mind, there are thousands of vendors on so many beaches and islands throughout the country.

Someone would die every day as a result of this type of vendor/tourist argument but somehow that doesn't happen obviously.

Edited by pattayadude

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Except that in this case, and so many others, it's not as simple as that, there are consequences!  Didn't you read the article that said he had been arrested and charged?

However, the consequences are not deterrent in some cultures.

I know of one in which some people kill others for honor(face) and they just walk over the police station and give themselves up as that is the next "honorable thing" to do after the first. In same culture, if police finds out it was an honor killing, they look the other way, judges give the minimum term etc

Edited by pattayadude

1 hour ago, aircooledflat4 said:

The final gesture of any haggling process is walking away if the price does not suit you. All over the world. Wet behind the ears are you?

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It seems that I can read a lot better than you can write!

No u fail always i assume  lack of ur brain cells.

i said confiscates his fake bags for not having a street sales permit then throw him  in jail for threatening to shoot some one duhh.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

No u fail always i assume  lack of ur brain cells.

i said confiscates his fake bags for not having a street sales permit then throw him  in jail for threatening to shoot some one duhh.

Can you do that in English?