Fleeing Thaksin hit with second arrest warrant

webfact

Pretty much same thing going on now watch this space in 10 years  years time as Banks start going bust.
If they have enough evidence they should be able to get a red notice I mean evidence not just a court saying guilty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

We are talking about a government pursuing a criminal. Even if this government might be criminal - they are government and a government has to pursue criminals whatever you think about them

"... plotting a coup ..."

Don't forget thaksin's failed coup in 2010. Do you think he (and his family clan) is any better than the military. He just used another strategy  more subtle and vicious  to steal power ( and riches)

At least Thaksin can be held accountable for any wrong doing. The Military are untouchable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Perhaps they think that next year when we may have an elected government here again, Interpol will switch back on again, arrest him and deport him.

Very few seem to understand Interpol,in addition to the Thai government.
Interpol does not "switch" on and off.
Interpoll does not have arrest powers. They are only a communication and training organization. They will, if it meets their own criteria, communicate to other member nations a variety of police requests including a request for an arrest, which will then be carried out by the police force of the nation receiving the request, IF they agree.
Generally the arresting nation will conduct their own investigation, including what amounts to another trial, before agreeing to an extradition, Again, Interpol does not have "deportation" powers.

• Like 2

when you break the laws you should face the charges, thats just common sense especially when all the others involved in the crime have been arrested and charged/jailed for it. This is no different, the fact thaksin isnt in the country  is no excuse, if he did the crime so he needs to be charged same as the others have been. While it may well have political pushing to bring it forward it is still done by the thai justice system, the same one that  has found thaksin innocent in the past and has seen both sides of the political parties charged/jailed as well as found not guilty. We cant be picky and hang crap on the magistrates when it suits us, the law is there to be followed, both sides have been treated the same by them so this is no different, I am sure when/if members of this govt are in front of these same magistrates people will not be so p*ssed off and making excuses or saying it is biased, lets see what happens and let the evidence decide, that is what trials are for

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

It makes you wonder why they would do this.

They are almost certainly 10 steps ahead in a precisely planned set of (pseudo-)legal manouevres. It may be the control of certain assets is the main goal. And/or punishment of those not falling into line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well, he was allowed to leave. That’s absolutely accurate. 

EXACTLY!!!!!

Thaksin (and Yingluck, the RedBull heir, and many other) were ALLOWED and got HELP from the people at the top to get out of the country.

Everybody knows that if they would have been in the country when they were caught, hell would have freeze over in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The manner in which the junta applies retroactive trial in absentia violates international criminal law and standards such as the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. 

Trial in absentia is allowed (not addressing the issue of retroactive application) only under very restrictive conditions and procedures; none of which are followed by the NCPO.

Prayut continues to reinforce to democratic nations that his regime is a hostile regime that is the antithesis of democratic institutions.

and hopefully it can be used on some of  those in the current govt at some stage, if it can then I am sure no one will bag it, we can only hope

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

They are almost certainly 10 steps ahead in a precisely planned set of (pseudo-)legal manouevres. It may be the control of certain assets is the main goal. And/or punishment of those not falling into line.

Control of certain assets - that gets my vote - if you could use that phrase in a discussion on current politics...

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Good point, but this government is not a lawful government, they seized power by the point of  a gun.

What? Nobody has said it yet! Red Bull Boy not pursued. So government unlawful.

• Like 1

I am positive that The Evil One is shaking in his shoes at this news.  What a farce this entire charade is not only against Thaksin but the lovely Yingluck.  Hell will freeze over before they are ever brought to justice in Thailand.  Get over it, both of them gamed the system for their own benfit.  They were not the first to do so, they certainly will not be the last.  After all This Is Thailand, one of the worlds most disfunctional countries.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why do they do this? They just look like fools...

Thaksin isn't coming back; that was the lesson from the events of 2013 before Suthep's rent-a-mob took over the protests.

You can not extradite him; no government will hand over a former Prime Minister to a Military Junta, it simply isn't done. Further, the Junta has said that Interpol declared the case against Yingluck to be "politically-motivated", it is a logical assumption that the same would hold for any case against Thaksin.

The Junta may believe that the Thai people would have less of an opinion of Thaksin based on this case, but it is likely that the opposite is true; Thai people know the 'justice' system is rigged and it will likely garner sympathy for Thaksin rather than any bad impression.

As above, stop this nonsense. Anyone who already dislikes Thaksin will continue to dislike him, everyone else will see the Junta using and abusing the Justice system for a politically-motivated witch hunt.

You are simply making yourselves look scared and stupid.

Agree,,,let dead dogs lie already....this whole thing is just a waste of time and govt money...and does anyone really care??

• Thanks 1

Seriously, the junta really employs their lap dogs to defend them in tv? What a joke.

Big man and sister will purposely take another round Asian trip just to stick their fingers up

Do it the easy way. 

Go Dubai and tell them you want thaksin .. give him me in ze 3 days, I tell you ah, 3 days.

For yingluck baby, go London and... Oh, Big P is there.. hurry up now, the Queen's waiting for you to bang her table.

• Haha 1

your fine thaksin, lucky so and so your in UK all rich criminals welcome ,  not long to wait jaunta & pm will be on the lamb/run oneday, can all sit have a cup of tea together . 

3 hours ago, moto77 said:

Excellent comment. ^This is pretty much all that needs be said on this topic.

If the unelected government does carry on this route they will be renaming Thaksin to Robin Hood  .look how long he has been remembered and what for?

2 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Very few seem to understand Interpol,in addition to the Thai government.
Interpol does not "switch" on and off.
Interpoll does not have arrest powers. They are only a communication and training organization. They will, if it meets their own criteria, communicate to other member nations a variety of police requests including a request for an arrest, which will then be carried out by the police force of the nation receiving the request, IF they agree.
Generally the arresting nation will conduct their own investigation, including what amounts to another trial, before agreeing to an extradition, Again, Interpol does not have "deportation" powers.

Well, I think that many of the powers that be here, like to envision Interpol as "The Lone Ranger and Tonto" galloping off to do their bidding.  Could be disappointed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why do they do this? They just look like fools...

Thaksin isn't coming back; that was the lesson from the events of 2013 before Suthep's rent-a-mob took over the protests.

You can not extradite him; no government will hand over a former Prime Minister to a Military Junta, it simply isn't done. Further, the Junta has said that Interpol declared the case against Yingluck to be "politically-motivated", it is a logical assumption that the same would hold for any case against Thaksin.

The Junta may believe that the Thai people would have less of an opinion of Thaksin based on this case, but it is likely that the opposite is true; Thai people know the 'justice' system is rigged and it will likely garner sympathy for Thaksin rather than any bad impression.

As above, stop this nonsense. Anyone who already dislikes Thaksin will continue to dislike him, everyone else will see the Junta using and abusing the Justice system for a politically-motivated witch hunt.

You are simply making yourselves look scared and stupid.

Thai people know the selectivity of their justice system and have reacted to it in the case of some hiso elites who've seemingly gotten very favorable treatment.

Thai people also know this was a serious fraud in which the Shins were very involved. Others involved in this case have been convicted and received lengthy prison sentences. 

Oak Shiniwattra accepted 10 million ThB and then gave it back and that case is also ongoing. 

The real reason Thaksin fled was very serious cases and his realization that bribing judges wasn't an option after his pastry box fiasco.

I doubt many have any sympathy left for the career criminal who continues to insult their intelligence with his denials of ever doing anything wrong.

But countries are reluctant to extradite people who shout "it's all political", are former politicians, especially to Juntas and known somewhat spurious justice systems. So like many other political fraudsters who have stolen billions he doesn't get brought to justice. Shame Thailand isn't more like Malaysia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aupee said:

If the unelected government does carry on this route they will be renaming Thaksin to Robin Hood  .look how long he has been remembered and what for?

Robin Hood - stole from the rich and gave to the poor (according to legend).

Thaksin - stole from the rich and the poor and pocketed it 555!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Thanks for that, I must confess that it leaves me none the wiser. Perhaps I should pay more attention, I seem to have missed Thaksin's coup in 2010, odd that I missed that particular moment of hysteria, maybe I was distracted by all the troops on the streets, never mind.

Still it is good that you acknowledge that this regime " might be illegal". 

Thaksin couldn't organize a coup - the military hate him!

But he could and did finance an insurgency to topple a government. And just after a large chunk of his money was frozen.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Control of certain assets - that gets my vote - if you could use that phrase in a discussion on current politics...

Gets my vote too. Wasn't your hero of the people generously saying he'd withdraw from politics and suggesting a suitable alternative role for himself in asset management had he wangled his whitewash.

We farangs know nothing really!

Edited by Baerboxer