Video: Wais of apology - but the damage is done

webfact

Video: Wais of apology - but the damage is done

6PM.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Dash cam footage from Bangkok showed a couple on a motorcycle doing an illegal U-turn maneuver in the rain.

A car slows to allow them - including the wai-ing female rider - to move across traffic only for the dash cam vehicle to be rear ended by another vehicle.

The dash cam car is then shunted into the motorcycle as the two riders tumble off in a heap.

More wais follow as the car drivers survey the scene.

The footage came from Sri Nakharin Road near Seacon Square, said Manager who added that it was widely shared and "liked" online.

They called it a warning about doing illegal U-turns.

The footage came posted by "Bird Sut".

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-21

You just can't help "stupid people" wet road conditions and waiting on the road like a soi dog waiting to get hit, you can wai as much as you like, but that ain't going to help, lucky no one was seriously hurt or killed.

Edited by 4MyEgo

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The dashcam driver was trying to be kind, despite the illegal U-turner. However, that's the very reason I never stop on zebra-crossings for that same reason.

I've heard accounts from a few people who were rear-ended when they stopped at a zebra-crossing.

So you installed a bullbar on the car?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Whats a zebra crossing in Thailand there are no zebras just a lot of donkeys on the road !

Some lucky spots in BKK have thousands of zebra's in all sizes....they also like red fanta..

These idiots should get a huge fine for what they did. They blocked the road for that car.

Now i wonder if their insurance will cover all the damage..and what happens if they are not even insured....they even didn't wear a helmet while putting their lives at risk.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The dashcam driver was trying to be kind, despite the illegal U-turner. However, that's the very reason I never stop on zebra-crossings for that same reason.

I've heard accounts from a few people who were rear-ended when they stopped at a zebra-crossing.

I'm one of them. I actually think it's safer not to stop, as crazy as that may sound.

• Like 1

i have said before, every travel agent and hotel should issue warnings to the unwary tourists, this is Thailand DO NOT CROSS ON A ZEBRA CROSSING, a few have been killed by thinking traffic will stop for them, as happens in their own country. WRONG as two posters on here have attested to already

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i have said before, every travel agent and hotel should issue warnings to the unwary tourists, this is Thailand DO NOT CROSS ON A ZEBRA CROSSING, a few have been killed by thinking traffic will stop for them, as happens in their own country. WRONG as two posters on here have attested to already

Make that 3 ?

Not entirely related but I had a bloody great bright orange lorry carrying a skip pretend I wasn't there this morning (pull out in front of my car while I was was travelling at the appropriate speed for the conditions) just after we had dropped the kids at school. Fortunately there was nothing behind us so we weren't rear ended.

I no longer bother uploading the footage (but have dashcams front and rear for when my luck eventually runs out!).

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I 'failed' my first motorcycle test for slowing down at the zebra crossing, seeing no one on it and then just driving through. I was told I should have stopped as its the law, I told them no one was on it and people dont stop anyway, the 'examiner' (I use that term very loosely) said I should have pretended.

Edited by sungod

The driver had little choice but to stop simply because he was being undertaken at speed by a number of cars including what looks like a Mercedes traveling way to fast for the conditions. So the motorcyclist and the idiot behind tailgating him are to blame.

I have, however often wondered whether the average Thai driver actually bothers to check his rear view mirrors before stopping in situations similar to this. 

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

Many Thais will say it should be called an angel crossing. Why? Because if a person crosses there, they will die.

zebra.JPG

A few points ;

-It was not a crossing, it was blocked off m/c came across curb

-driver with cam had 2 options, run her over or stop, there was traffic speeding past in the next lane

-Thai girl had typical Thai intelligence, she's dumber than a bag of rocks and most likely learned nothing and continues to drive like a moron

• Thanks 1

Travel this area frequently and the traffic moves very fast in all lanes. I also encounter motorbike riders darting out in front of fast moving cars on a daily basis. This girl went a lot of effort to cause big problems, not uncommon in Bangkok.

I come from a country where we are taught to keep to the left unless overtaking, what I want to know is why dashcam DoDo moved to the outside lane for no apparent reason there were no cars in front of him in the lane he was in. This is one of thousands of problems with Thai drivers they all seem to want to drive in the outside lane for only reason a Thai will know.

4 hours ago, a977 said:

I come from a country where we are taught to keep to the left unless overtaking, what I want to know is why dashcam DoDo moved to the outside lane for no apparent reason there were no cars in front of him in the lane he was in. This is one of thousands of problems with Thai drivers they all seem to want to drive in the outside lane for only reason a Thai will know.

We once had a thread here on Thaivisa by a foreigner who complained that he got tailgated (or something similar, don't remember 100%) when he was blocking the right lane and refused to move over to the left lane, because he thought it's his right to drive on the right lane. So it's not limited to Thais ?

These people are just not aware that it makes sense (and is the law in Thailand) to drive on the left lane if possible.

But sadly the left lane of a road in Thailand is often in a bad condition because the trucks drive there, while the right lane is in a better condition, so people prefer to drive there

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 10:49 AM, sungod said:

I 'failed' my first motorcycle test for slowing down at the zebra crossing, seeing no one on it and then just driving through. I was told I should have stopped as its the law, I told them no one was on it and people dont stop anyway, the 'examiner' (I use that term very loosely) said I should have pretended.

Of course you failed its the law you should stop.. that people don't follow the law is an other thing during an exam you have to do things by the book everyone knows that.