Got into a accident, what should I do?

Saklo

So I got into a stupid accident in Khon Kaen. The situation was like this, a car was parking in the car lane without turning his lights on(Rush Hour where children go home). Now I was on my bicycle and 3 (one motor bike)children came onto the opposite direction. If I didn’t break I would have crashed into the kids. So my human instinct was to avoid to hit them and I hit into the car instead that was parking on the lane. His wife or someone he was with was shopping around and he just parked without turning lights on etc. 

Now I don’t know who is to blame, I believe that I cause the damage but I wasn’t at fault right? Those kids on motorbike came(same road side as the car) the opposite direction and well they drove off without stopping. 

They driver ask me if I had a phone number, which i said o had. I gave it to him and he said he will phone me because off the damage.

Police by the way wasn’t involve and he doesn’t have my ID.

It’s just a little paint scratch on the right side of his old Honda. 

So what should I do? Or what should I expect?  Should I expect problem with the police?

If i had a accident in europe or US, I knew what to do. Some advise would be awesome

What time of day was this?

You hit a stationary vehicle?

Were you travelling at a speed that would allow you to manoeuvre/stop in the event of something unexpected?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Were you travelling at a speed that would allow you to manoeuvre/stop in the event of something unexpected?

No I didn’t ride quick as it was rush hour(time 16:50), I hit a normal 15/20 year old Honda Civic. The damage was in the ride side, it’s just a scratch where you can see my bike front wheel mark. Again nothing serious just a little numb and scratch. Yeah I avoided hitting the children motorbike which came on the opposite direction.  The car was parking their and the driver was sitting inside without putting his light on. It’s not even allowed to park their , that spot police like to lock down cars that park their and the owner goes shopping for 20 mins or so in the market.  

14 minutes ago, grollies said:

Wait for the phone call and settle up if it's not outrageous.

Otherwise, after, change your phone number.

Can I get into trouble with the police? I am Thai myself, dad is American. Been living in the states all my life.

i do have a Thai ID and passport on me. What surprise me was he didn’t ask for it just my phone number. He said he will go to the shop and phone me the bill so I can pay it. Didn’t want to call the police, I suggested that( that’s what I would do in the US or Europe).  I heard Thai laws are a bit different.

10 minutes ago, Saklo said:

No I didn’t ride quick as it was rush hour(time 16:50), I hit a normal 15/20 year old Honda Civic. The damage was in the ride side, it’s just a scratch where you can see my bike front wheel mark. Again nothing serious just a little numb and scratch. Yeah I avoided hitting the children motorbike which came on the opposite direction.  The car was parking their and the driver was sitting inside without putting his light on. It’s not even allowed to park their , that spot police like to lock down cars that park their and the owner goes shopping for 20 mins or so in the market.  

Can I get into trouble with the police? I am Thai myself, dad is American. Been living in the states all my life.

i do have a Thai ID and passport on me. What surprise me was he didn’t ask for it just my phone number. He said he will go to the shop and phone me the bill so I can pay it. Didn’t want to call the police, I suggested that( that’s what I would do in the US or Europe).  I heard Thai laws are a bit different.

Do you speak Thai?

My son, a Thai of 26, had something similar. When the bill came for 2000b I suggested we just pay it and be done. Lawyers cost too much and are so slow you would be dealing with it for 2 years. Involving the police? Never a good idea. As was suggested, haggle if it looks high. As most here will tell you the 'law' is rather pliable and open to favouritism and friendship which you probably cant do.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

He was on a bicycle?

Since you are a young Thai, if it had been me I wouldn’t have given him any info, I would have just told him it’s not a big deal. A 15-20 year old Honda and you hit it with a bicycle?  Please. Unless it was in absolute pristine condition, who would care?  Hard to believe he will bother getting a scratch fixed on an old car. 

Quit worrying. It’s Thailand, you’re not in Kansas anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saklo said:

Well I been learning for 4 months now and I can understand what he wanted.

its not good but I can communicate with Thai people. When I said this:

โปรแกรมตำรวจ

he said:

ไม่ ไม่ไม่ไม่เอา 

The first line appears to read "Program" police.  Out of curiosity, what does that mean? I can understand

ไปตำรวจ

But just curious what "program" police means.

Not surprising the guy said no. Police can be notoriously unreliable and they would probably tell the guy that the dent could barely be noticed on such an old car. There would also have been a fee for this service, and someone would have needed to pay it.

The best thing is just a negotiation with the guy. If you really can't agree, then yes, go file a police report. That will be needed if anyone wants to file a court action. But long before you get to that point, you will have dozens of officials encouraging you with slowly increasing pressure to stop being a douche and simply settle it between yourselves. In the end if you really want to take it to court a lawyer will be happy to accept your money, but ultimately it is going to cost you a lot more than the repair. This is a really minor thing and not worthy of wasting any official time.

If the guy does eventually call, then just be polite. I wouldn't pay more than 1000 baht, but that is just me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saklo said:

Well I been learning for 4 months now and I can understand what he wanted.

its not good but I can communicate with Thai people. When I said this:

โปรแกรมตำรวจ

he said:

ไม่ ไม่ไม่ไม่เอา 

He said "NO! DON'T DON'T DON'T WANT!" Sounds like the problem solved itself.  Next?

he said:

ไม่ ไม่ไม่ไม่เอา 

He said "NO! DON'T DON'T DON'T WANT!" 
[/quote]

.. or if you get your tones wrong, he said "NEW NEW NEW, I WANT NEW" ... ")

Edited by simon43
  • Haha 1

I have been in a couple of small accidents, normally just call insurance company and it is taken care of, not a police issue.

As he did not call insurance there and then he was probably not that bothered.

I doubt the cost would be any more than 2000 baht, so just pay it, unless he goes to the Honda garage, which is always expensive.

It was 17000 there for a small dent, but insurance was paying.

I also cycle around Khon Kaen.

Motorbikes driving on the wrong side of the road are the most scary hazard. Cars parking on the carriageway cause those motorbikes to pull out further and suddenly just as you are trying to pass the vehicle.

They haven't had me off... yet.

I go out at 5:30 am and head for the ring road. Much safer there. But I end up coming back into the city at rush hour. It's a high adrenaline situation.

I just had a dented Hilux front bumper repaired and resprayed by the way. A body and paint shop in the city did a great job for 2,500 baht.

6 minutes ago, puffy said:

It was 17000 there for a small dent, but insurance was paying.

The small job I just had done for 2,500 was going to cost 8,000 if Toyota did it on insurance. The increase in premium would have been almost the same as what I paid the body and paint shop.

No wonder insurance premiums are so high.

Car illegally parked, motorbike coming from wrong direction, so both would be fined if police were involved. But you could not stop in time, so did not oversee the situation good enough.

I would say if he calls, just offer maximum 2,000 Baht and be done with it. If he wants more, tell him 'no'.

• Like 1

Why worry so much about a minor thing like that ?

The owner of the old Honda seems to be a reasonable person as he only asked for your phone number.

If you have his phone number just call him, meet him and discuss about the repair.

Otherwise just wait. You might never hear from him anymore.

Cheer up !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

More like:- As he did not call insurance there and then he was probably not insured.

If he didn't want the police involved, then highly likely he has no license either!

Correct. In which case forget it.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

You hit him, you can't contact the kids that forced you to hit him. So your responsible.  He has no deal with the kids its you who hit him. If the price is not to crazy just pay it.

Yes, offer him 1000 Bt, if he doesn't agree, then tell him to get lost and just walk away.