Elections may be deferred to May: Deputy PM

snoop1130

Elections may be deferred to May: Deputy PM

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

25610625_๑๘๐๖๒๕_0002-696x464.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krue-ngam emerges from Monday's meeting with political parties, flanked by the meeting participants.

BANGKOK — The next election may have to be postponed until May 2019, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krue-ngam said Monday.

In the government’s latest hint at yet another delay, Wissanu said 11 months are likely needed before general elections and the primary vote process – a new electoral feature introduced by the junta – can take place.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/06/25/elections-may-be-deferred-to-may-deputy-pm/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-6-25

Thailand signals election could be delayed until May

By Aukkarapon Niyomyat and Pracha Hariraksapitak

2018-06-25T125650Z_1_LYNXMPEE5O0YX_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-POLITICS.JPG

Members of political parties attend a meeting in Bangkok, Thailand, June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will hold a general election by May 5 next year, a deputy prime minister said on Monday, signalling the possibility of another delay of a vote that had tentatively been set for February.

The military has been running Thailand since a May 2014 coup, when it ousted the civilian government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, citing the need to end street protests, and banned political activity in the name of peace and order.

It has promised to hold a general election but has repeatedly pushed back the date, most recently suggesting polls would be held by February 2019.

But Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, citing a time frame determined by constitutional stipulations and legislative steps, told reporters various dates were possible from Feb. 24, with the latest being May 5.

Wissanu also said the junta would ease a ban on political activity by parties between September and December this year, allowing them to undertake administrative tasks in preparation for the election.

But bans on public gatherings of more than five people and political campaigning would remain in place during that period, Wissanu said.

"What they can do is hold party meetings without permission. The meetings would enable them to decide on party regulations, find party members, discuss with the election commission the division of constituencies and determine party candidates," he said.

Representatives of 73 political parties attended a meeting with military government officials on Monday and some said they were happy with the partial lifting of the ban on political activity.

But Watana Muangsook, a member of the Pheu Thai party, whose government was ousted in 2014, said the junta should lift the ban completely. The party did not send representatives to the meeting.

Despite the ban on political activity, several small protests to push for elections have taken place in recent months in different parts of the country.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said last week the general election would not take place before King Maha Vajiralongkorn's coronation, for which no date has yet been set.

Po-democracy activist Rangsiman Rome told Reuters he was not surprised by the junta's signalling of another possible delay.

"It's still not certain that it will really happen between Feb. 24 and May 5," he said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-6-25

May is better, it won't interfere with the tourist high season. Remember, they close all entertainment down for 2 weekends when there's an election here, once for advance voting and then again on the weekend of the real election.

• Like 1

Had the echoes even subsided of the PM promising European leaders that Thailand's national election would be held in Feb. 2019???? Before they start delaying the timeframes again.

As the Four Tops once sang, "It's the same old song..."  I think we've been here before.

• Like 1

So here we have it. And I have basically won my 10,000 baht bet that I had with a 'true believer' (I bet that the election will NOT be held in February).

OK, Thais: if you take this latest likely delay - you are beyond pathetic. Difficult to respect a people that let sand be kicked in their faces again and again and again and again and again and again. It will never stop, Thais - UNLESS YOU STOP IT! FOR GOD'S SAKE - DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR CHILDREN'S SAKE, IF NOT  YOUR OWN!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, strap me vitals, as they said in all the old pirate movies (no, I don't have a clue what it means either), whoever would have thought it! A delay to the election! Whatever next?

Nailing jelly to the ceiling would seem to be on a par with this.