Elections may be deferred to May: Deputy PM

snoop1130

Another silly question from same old me.

Say they hold elections and most certainly current bunch is not going to win.

Do they go back to their previous Army positions and ranks with same salaries and benefits?

Highly unlikely that would be the case, perhaps one of the reasons for not wanting to go and trying to secure enough capital or/and straws to hold on to some kind of power and income

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Is it possible to have another coup against the current coup leaders?

Unlikely.

The Navy are getting their new subs, the Air Force have been promised new fighter jets, and the various Army factions are getting new tanks and satellites - everyone is happy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, baboon said:

No, they'll take it and take it some more. Students and activists aside, f- 'em. They deserve what they get, politically.

I don't think you can expect people armed with pitchforks and old rifles to take on the military.

It is more likely that a faction in the military will form and remove the current leadership and replace it with one offering real commitment to a democratic process. Obviously, there will be no advance notice of any such action. That is just my opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, champers said:

I don't think you can expect people armed with pitchforks and old rifles to take on the military.

It is more likely that a faction in the military will form and remove the current leadership and replace it with one offering real commitment to a democratic process. Obviously, there will be no advance notice of any such action. That is just my opinion.

Let's hope so - but ...

This junta has been quite clever, by making sure that their potential usurpers have been given a share of the spoils.

A counter-coup would require a military leader with genuine democratic principles, and the support of many Generals - does such a person exist?

5 hours ago, champers said:

They don't need to take them on. We all know what the military are capable of and it isn't pretty.

What they need to do is simply refuse to cooperate. Hiss at soldiers. Leave Bangkok dignitaries speaking to an empty field when their locale is visited. Pointedly act as though they aren't there, in short. However they can't even bring themselves to do nothing, it seems, which is why I say 'screw 'em'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

They don't need to take them on. We all know what the military are capable of and it isn't pretty.

What they need to do is simply refuse to cooperate. Hiss at soldiers. Leave Bangkok dignitaries speaking to an empty field when their locale is visited. Pointedly act as though they aren't there, in short. However they can't even bring themselves to do nothing, it seems, which is why I say 'screw 'em'.

Exactly, Baboon! A nationwide campaign of civil disobedience (no need for violence) - just don't, for example, obey the outrageous law that 'no more than 4 persons can gather together to discuss politics'. Gather together in the MILLIONS! Get out there on the streets with mobile phones and DISCUSS POLITICS IN THE THOUSANDS AND MILLIONS and FILM IT ALL. The junta cannot arrest them all - or shoot them all. 

But are the Thais taking this action (apart from those very brave students and activists)? You can see for yourself. They are not. They are still OBEYING!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Wonder if there will ever be a Ceausescu like event in Thailand?

No way. The Thais (today - as opposed to some in the past) have not got the gonads for it. 'Oh, look: there's the great Generalissimo approaching. Let's  grovel on the ground, and wai and smile' ...

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Another silly question from same old me.

Say they hold elections and most certainly current bunch is not going to win.

Do they go back to their previous Army positions and ranks with same salaries and benefits?

Highly unlikely that would be the case, perhaps one of the reasons for not wanting to go and trying to secure enough capital or/and straws to hold on to some kind of power and income

The courts sacked Yingluck for transferring one of Abhisit's people out of his position.

Anyway, I imagine the current mob will all be safely tucked away as appointed Senators.

• Like 1