If you had to leave LOS permanently, what would you miss?

6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well...since I have left-and probably permanently due to health issues-I will have a stab at it.

1.The spectacular sunrises and sunsets.

2.The chanting of monks and the general experience of the village waking up in the early mornings.

3.The colour,vibrancy and sense of activity.

4.The (generally speaking) personable people and culture.

5.The attractive well dressed women (AND "men") My additional comment.

Honourable mention goes to the bum gun as well.

Unfortunately the heat did me no good whatsoever.

DSCN9629.JPG

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well done! I forgot the bum gun. One of the things in LOS that is better than back home. That would be very much missed by me.

The bum gun is essential. So much so I had them installed in my property in Australia too. 

Now I have a fresh dot whether in my condo in Thailand or my (soon to be sold) home in oz 

8B6BE748-60A2-4F8F-92C7-F0ECFA892801.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadMuhammad said:

The bum gun is essential. So much so I had them installed in my property in Australia too. 

Now I have a fresh dot whether in my condo in Thailand or my (soon to be sold) home in oz 

Cheapskate. :cheesy::sorry:  But you can buy a modern decent bidet now in Australia.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cms22 said:

GIRLS

Please, we all love the girls, but can we stick to other things, or this thread will end up discussing nothing but girls, and then the antis will start and then the thread is doomed to closure for bickering. I'm trying to have a rare thread about the positive aspects on LOS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

The little pleasant surprises that pop up here and there, where you say to yourself, "That would never happen at home."

The things I love most about LOS are the unexpected surprises, like the small temple with a lovely pond I discovered in Chiang Mai. It was next to a main road, but by the pond it was a peaceful world.

The Rambo temple was a thrill too. 

Anyway, it's the things that 2 week tourists will never discover, like Tub Tao cave.

I used to love standing on the back step of a speeding songtheaw, saying to myself that I'd never be able to do that back home. 

55 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I was going to say the same....being able to drive without the nanny-state constantly on my butt.

I'd also miss the incredibly low cost of labor in Thailand, whether it'd be for medical/dental services, plumbing, electrician, car repair, washing your car, pumping your gas, massage...you name it.  I had a friend visit from the USA recently, a fellow home owner, and he said getting a plumber or electrician to your house for even minor work would cost several hundred bucks.  In Thailand, it'd be several hundred baht. 

The one thing I do miss regarding the UK is you can put ANY engine in a ride as long as it passes an MOT and you can insure it....:stoner:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well...since I have left-and probably permanently due to health issues-I will have a stab at it.

2.The chanting of monks and the general experience of the village waking up in the early mornings.

5.The attractive well dressed women

DSCN9629.JPG

Yeah... I'll miss the blokes as well

• Haha 2

Apart from all the nice things, as well as the bum gun, I'd miss the stress and high blood pressure I get when venturing out in the car or on the motorcycle; when I can feel the heart beating at 10 to the dozen, I know it's still working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Apart from all the nice things, as well as the bum gun, I'd miss the stress and high blood pressure I get when venturing out in the car or on the motorcycle; when I can feel the heart beating at 10 to the dozen, I know it's still working.

Yeah, and the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment when I arrive savely at my destination. I can proudly pat my shoulder and tell myself what a great driver/rider I am.

Yeah, the trafic is a nice challenge here, no need for bungee jumping or roller coaster.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Cheapskate. :cheesy::sorry:  But you can buy a modern decent bidet now in Australia.

555 I’m far from a cheap skate! ?? I experienced many different types of bidet while travelling through Japan. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer the good old gun.

I do admit I spent far too much time sampling all the different modes on the bidets in Japan hehe

• Haha 1

Being able to pick my own bananas and mangos from around our house.

Being able to sit outside in the evenings, get the barbecue cranked up and chill out with an alcoholic beverage or three. 

(In my native UK this is hardly ever possible due to the regular inclement weather)

And my in-laws.....they are my family now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

DSCN9629.JPG

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

DSCN9629.JPG

DSCN9629.JPG

Very good points. I am sorry you had to leave. It could happen to any of us. Hope you get well enough to return.

Repair shops that fix tv's and stereos.

Recondition power tools.

Rewind power tools, alternators, stators.

All the above generally, deliver it and pick it up in a day or two.

Auto factors and corner m/c shops that stock pretty much everything going back 20 years. Inc a huge range of fasteners.

(Remember iron mongers?)….

The friendly shopkeepers, service staff, waitresses and general population, and the GENUINE smiles.

The possibility of eating out everyday.

Not worrying about having 3-4 beers out in the sticks and driving the farm truck home with no windows, no doors, no bonnet, no paperwork.

Double parking with the engine running for a couple of minutes whilst sorting out the next fortnight's beer supply.

Parking where I can find a space anywhere and not having to pay for it.

The list is endless.

Oh, and the F R E E D O M !!!!!!!!

Did I mention the women?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I would install one of them immediately upon returning. Did you buy that in Australia, or Thailand?

• Like 1