Thailand cave rescue: How would you survive in a cave?

webfact

Thailand cave rescue: How would you survive in a cave?

By Toby Luckhurst

BBC News

cv.jpg

FILE photo

A group of 12 teenagers have been trapped underground in Thailand with their football coach for the last four days.

Heavy rain has flooded the cave system, hindering the authorities' attempts at a rescue.

But what are the best ways to survive in a cave? We spoke to cavers, who emphasised the need to stay warm, keep hydrated, and stay out of danger when trapped underground.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44633601

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-06-28

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It's been more than 5 days now.  I feel the chances of a successful rescue of all is no longer possible. 

Heartbreaking and sad but, unfortunately, probably true.

They are young people have gone weeks and survived and theres obviously water and if one should unfortunatley die they also have food to 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Cancerian said:

They are young people have gone weeks and survived and theres obviously water and if one should unfortunatley die they also have food to 

That's a grim thought.

There have been reports there may be crickets in there but not sure how you catch crickets in complete darkness.

But the psychology of this situation comes up again.

People have tended to be thinking either they will all be saved, or none.

It's entirely possible that they will lose some of them. Then the group panic psychology of dealing with that could become even more intense. 

I would never have gone it,especially with a load of kids,

the sign at the entrance says don't go in during the rainy

season as the cave floods........but some people take no

notice.

I just hope they get them out,with all the experts there

gives hope, but it depends on the rain.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

"How would you survive in a cave?"

First, I wouldn't go caving the Thai way. Trusting an inexperienced person, with no extensive knowledge of caving in general, and this cave in particular, to be the leader. For some reason, many, if not most Thais, don't plan, they just do, and this is the worst case scenario as a result of what appears to be a culture of negligence.  They don't foresee any possible problems, and then when one appears, they haven't developed the skills to assess and formulate a solution other than Mai Pen Rai.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

It's been more than 5 days now.  I feel the chances of a successful rescue of all is no longer possible. 

You can last week's with out food people fast for up to 30 days but not without water. They are young and it's a big plus.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's a grim thought.

There have been reports there may be crickets in there but not sure how you catch crickets in complete darkness.

But the psychology of this situation comes up again.

People have tended to be thinking either they will all be saved, or none.

It's entirely possible that they will lose some of them. Then the group panic psychology of dealing with that could become even more intense. 

Grim as it is its a real possibility. Watch the movie survive

Apart from bringing experts in from the UK, there is another option which also would work out and closer to home too, bring in the Chinese who also have, through necessity, become quite adept at cave rescues from having so many mine cave ins in various parts of China, on a yearly basis. But then, why would the Thais want to bring in someone from China who might actually know what they are doing and end up with the ‘loss of face’ issue because China manage to do something that Thailand can’t!!

• Sad 1

I would like to know the water temp and air temp inside water will absorbed a lot of co2 if they are on a ledge it’s possible they are alive let’s hope so and let’s hope they don’t kill any rescuers still praying tug

Food is not an issue for a month. Water is not an issue. Their two threats are hypothermia and air supply.

As far as survival in a cave goes, I would not be going in. Although I suppose peer group pressure was in play.

Firstly it is proved very unwise to go exploring caves at this time of year when there is heavy rain and the caves may be flooded , the dry season is the only time that is reasonably safe .  One would like to think that people exploring such a large cave system would go well equipped with survival rations and small portable water purification kits , a small primus or gas cooker .  One of the problems seems to be a lack of oxygen that may not be a problem for a small group of people as it appears to be for a large number of rescuers .  One wonders that a rope has not be trailed from the point of entry  .

Apart from bringing experts in from the UK, there is another option which also would work out and closer to home too, bring in the Chinese who also have, through necessity, become quite adept at cave rescues from having so many mine cave ins in various parts of China, on a yearly basis. But then, why would the Thais want to bring in someone from China who might actually know what they are doing and end up with the ‘loss of face’ issue because China manage to do something that Thailand can’t!!
Chinese can't even manage a buffet without attacking each other . KEEP THEM OUT!

12 hours ago, Tug said:

I would like to know the water temp and air temp inside water will absorbed a lot of co2 if they are on a ledge it’s possible they are alive let’s hope so and let’s hope they don’t kill any rescuers still praying tug

Air temp' probably around 20 C, water a bit cooler.

One big problem is coping with the complete lack of light. If they have a watch or two among them that is luminous it helps. 

Short exercise in the Cheddar Gorge we had watches removed and all lights out for a period. Sat in total darkness and quiet for a period and then lights back on. Everyone estimated the time we were in the darkness and estimates varied from 10 minutes to 30 minutes, it was in fact 15 minutes.

100% no light and no idea of time past can play strange tricks with your mind.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Just1Voice said:

As long as they are in a "safe" place, and have access to water, they can last weeks. They would be pretty skinny, but alive. Severe symptoms start at 35 to 40 days and death at 45 to 61 days.

However, given they are sportsmen, they may last less time that fat people would, as less reserves.

14 hours ago, Toscano said:

Firstly it is proved very unwise to go exploring caves at this time of year when there is heavy rain and the caves may be flooded , the dry season is the only time that is reasonably safe .  One would like to think that people exploring such a large cave system would go well equipped with survival rations and small portable water purification kits , a small primus or gas cooker .  One of the problems seems to be a lack of oxygen that may not be a problem for a small group of people as it appears to be for a large number of rescuers .  One wonders that a rope has not be trailed from the point of entry  .

They had been there before, and marked the way, according to reports.

It's also unwise to drive drunk, but that seems to be done by a significant number of Thais.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They had been there before, and marked the way, according to reports.

It's also unwise to drive drunk, but that seems to be done by a significant number of Thais.

And, as a rough estimate 90% of the expats I know drive drunk. Isn't that a novelty as a famous comedian from uk used to say.