Determine car insurance from license plate

Na Fan

Is there a way to determine if a car is insured, if you have the license plate / registration details? 

Girlfriend rented a car, contract states "no insurance coverage whatsoever - renter pays all" - and the rental shop owner says the car has tier 1 insurance, but he refuses to show the papers.

Can we find out somewhere?

Fan

• Haha 2

if the car is displaying a current    tax/registration   sticker it would be insured tier 1  

as i believe on renewal  the two go hand in hand    havingsaid that  i also think car rentals are supposed to carry full insurance    if not the case avoid this company like the plague   or topicly like rabid dogs

• Like 1

I've never heard of 'tier 1' insurance but there is 'class 1' insurance.

There's no way to tell as this is optional.

I think the point is - you didn't agree to buy extra insurance with them so even if they do have insurance you will still have to pay - this is the deal.

If the vehicle has a current tax disk then it has the compulsory 'Por Ror Bor' insurance because that's required as a minimum and you won't get a tax disk without it.

Por Ror Bor is the lowest level of insurance and covers almos nothing as far as I'm aware.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Is there a way to determine if a car is insured, if you have the license plate / registration details? 

Basically yes !!  OP look at the front windscreen if it has a current road funds disc it's insured by CTPL pororbor is usually the case, as they usually date in line with each other.

It's a good insurance cover for Thai people and can also work well with a farangies.

Your most likely liable for any damage so best to get a additional class 1 voluntary insurance. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Girlfriend rented a car, contract states "no insurance coverage whatsoever - renter pays all" - and the rental shop owner says the car has tier 1 insurance, but he refuses to show the papers.

Get girlfriend to take the car back and rent from a car rental agency that does have renters insurance. Sounds like the 'rental shop owner' is simply a private vehicle owner and ALL the risk and financial responsibility will fall on your girlfriends shoulders... and ultimately yours 

Roat Tax 'Disc' (Actually Square) has no bearing on whether the vehicle has decent insurance or not.

The condition for road tax renewal is that there is 'compulsory insurance' which only covers injuries and only very little pay out. and doesn't necessarily cover the same period as the road tax is valid

There are optional 'Voluntary' insurance Class 1 covers all, to Class 3 that only cover the other party, details vary... but for most private insurance, this would not cover rental, but the insurance normally don't specify the driver, many smaller rental operation get by with private insurance, but in case of 'big' accident the insurance company could look too closely at relationship between driver and owner of the car and found out.

Some insurance company give out detail of their policy in small square paper to stick on the windscreen behind the road tax, not many people do this, so don't count on its presence to indicate if a car has any level of insurance.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:22 AM, Kwasaki said:

Basically yes !!  OP look at the front windscreen if it has a current road funds disc it's insured by CTPL pororbor is usually the case, as they usually date in line with each other.

It's a good insurance cover for Thai people and can also work well with a farangies.

The Thai CTPL insurance covers nearly nothing, no idea how you can call it "a good insurance"

If the contract states no insurance cover then you should not rent it. I would not rent a car without class 1 insurance, too risky

Edited by jackdd

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

The Thai CTPL insurance covers nearly nothing, no idea how you can call it "a good insurance"

If the contract states no insurance cover then you should not rent it. I would not rent a car without class 1 insurance, too risky

Agree here - Some of these comments are unbelievable 

Sounds not like a common Rental Company, maybe a small self supporting business (maybe licensed or not )

So this is what you may have 

* A car that he owns with 1st Class Insurance ( this 1 st Class insurance shall have nothing to do with you ) 

* A company or ( so called ) that did not offer Insurance Cover (at an extra cost ) like major car rental companies do

* A car that is only covered by the bare minimal the Government requires (good for nothing really )

It equates to ( I think ) 30,000 bht injury ( I think both parties ) & 30,000 bht repair (other party )

So - Best to get  Accident Policy or dump the so called Rental

Yes some of the comments are unbelievable, CPTL insurance premiums are 300 Baht for motorcycle and 600 Baht for pickup truck/car, what sort of cover do expect for that price? 

Most Por Lor Bors accident cover limits are 300000 Baht death, permanent disability, 80000 Baht towards medical expenses, 35000 Baht towards funeral expenses. 

The cover is for all persons, in or outside a vehicle, both drivers and passengers, owners of vehicles or pedestrians. It is covered more fully in the motor vehicles injury act, 2535.