Plant Based Nutrition and Fasting

Kohsamida

5 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Respectfully disagree that "fructose is fructose"  Commercially made HFCS in most processed foods such as soda, snacks, and cereals is in much higher concentrations than you would find from natural sources such as whole fruit, and the same is true in most commercial juices, as opposed to the whole fruit.  Also worth noting, though the research is controversial, it's also suggested that the high levels of pectin in many fruits may offset some of the negative aspects of fructose alone.

Of course. It's the quantity that counts. If I put 2 teaspoons of raw sugar in my coffee, the sugar will be in greater concentration than the same cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of raw sugar, but it's the same sugar.

The problem is, the hidden fructose. People might eat lots of fruit because it's healthy, and drink a glass of pure fruit juice every morning, which provides them with the maximum amount of fructose they should be imbibing. However, if they also drink the occasional coke, eat an ice cream dessert and other processed food throughout the day, they could be imbibing 3 or 4 times the amount of fructose that is healthy.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, VincentRJ said:

Of course. It's the quantity that counts. If I put 2 teaspoons of raw sugar in my coffee, the sugar will be in greater concentration than the same cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of raw sugar, but it's the same sugar.

The problem is, the hidden fructose. People might eat lots of fruit because it's healthy, and drink a glass of pure fruit juice every morning, which provides them with the maximum amount of fructose they should be imbibing. However, if they also drink the occasional coke, eat an ice cream dessert and other processed food throughout the day, they could be imbibing 3 or 4 times the amount of fructose that is healthy.

HFCS is in 85% of all processed grocery store food in the USA.  It is in ketchup, mayo, salad dressing, all prepared processed baked goods, and all instant boxed foods for home prep.  Cereals chips, crackers anything that can benefit from increased shelf life stability and use a filler substance.  It is nightmare caused by endless subsidizes to the farming industry to grow corn.  The corn then is dumped cheaply onto the market and the only cheaper ingredient to put in prepared foods is WATER!  

So even if you are avoiding soda and ice cream, a salad dressing or a few tablespoons of condiments will give you a dose!

This makes it very complicated even if you do lots of home cooking like I do. 

9 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

HFCS is in 85% of all processed grocery store food in the USA.  It is in ketchup, mayo, salad dressing, all prepared processed baked goods, and all instant boxed foods for home prep.  Cereals chips, crackers anything that can benefit from increased shelf life stability and use a filler substance.  It is nightmare caused by endless subsidizes to the farming industry to grow corn.  The corn then is dumped cheaply onto the market and the only cheaper ingredient to put in prepared foods is WATER!  

So even if you are avoiding soda and ice cream, a salad dressing or a few tablespoons of condiments will give you a dose!

This makes it very complicated even if you do lots of home cooking like I do. 

Yes. That's the impression that I get also. I used to drink lots of supermarket fruit juice as a thirst quencher, because I thought it was healthy and also a bargain in terms of the quantity of whole fruit I would need to buy in order to make my own juice.

Since reading about the consequences of excessive fructose consumption, I no longer buy cartons of fruit juice, and never touch Coke or Pepsi or other sweet drinks, apart from coffee with raw sugar. I use salad dressings sparingly, and prefer to add various oils to my salads, such as Olive Oil, Pepita Oil, Sesame Oil, Avocado Oil, Macadamia Oil, and so on.

I no longer drink

2 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Yes. That's the impression that I get also. I used to drink lots of supermarket fruit juice as a thirst quencher, because I thought it was healthy and also a bargain in terms of the quantity of whole fruit I would need to buy in order to make my own juice.

Since reading about the consequences of excessive fructose consumption, I no longer buy cartons of fruit juice, and never touch Coke or Pepsi or other sweet drinks, apart from coffee with raw sugar. I use salad dressings sparingly, and prefer to add various oils to my salads, such as Olive Oil, Pepita Oil, Sesame Oil, Avocado Oil, Macadamia Oil, and so on.

I no longer drink

Same Same Vincent!  Good for you!  I was able to eliminate sugar in coffee and tea.  I use nothing!  After a few days of bitter it is fine.  I use coffee and tea for the caffeine rush not the taste.  I drank one of those flavored Starbucks in Bangkok and nearly became ill.  I can't estimate how many sugars and flavors they are dumping in those drinks.  I gave up Coke way back when they went to New Coke in the 80's.  It tasted like rusted water!  I don't have any sweetened drinks now and don't miss them.

I only eat raw whole fresh fruits I don't even have juice when I can watch them squeeze it out of the oranges or blend it up cause when u blink they pour in sugar syrups. 

I am trying to move along to eliminate processed carbs but that is a very difficult process now that I am in the USA again.   I didn't have much trouble in Thailand their little cakes and breads and things didn't taste good to me.  Now that I am here in the USA I am feeling like a crackhead!  There seems to be some unusual taste difference between items made with sugar and items made with HFCS.   I am only guessing but I think HFCS might be more addictive?  I seem to remember some research years ago showing HFCS causing much higher insulin spikes.  The sweetened beverage industry made television commercials here denying that science and showing lots of thin healthy people enjoying soda and ice cream.  We will believe anything over here if it allows us to eat the food we want!

every now and then I'll say to myself Screw It! and sprinkle a decent amount of sugar on my oatmeal in the morning, boy that's a bad idea, next morning.I'm craving that sugar again, luckily I have good willpower, and stop, and the cravings go away. 

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Yes. hidden fructose and blatantly unhidden fructose are the culprits, and the sad truth is that HFCS is in all sorts of processed foods, and a lot of them you wouldn't even expect them to be there, like salad dressing for instance.

The sad truth is that many people don't even realize just how much sugar they are actually consuming because of just how much HFCS is hidden in everyday food products. 

And in foods that you would expect them like soda and cereals, the amount is right through the roof!  I mean, if you've ever seen a little kid go bouncing off the walls after a couple of bowls of sugar-frosted Crunchy-O's, you know what I'm talking about; just WAY too much sugar in most people's diets and HFCS is probably the main reason way

There's only two reason this is so.  It's cheap and it has highly addictive qualities.  That is to say, it makes people crave the food product even after that volume of food would normally activate satiety. 

For example, if you had two people, one eating sugar frosted cereal and one eating whole fruit, the one eating whole fruit would feel full on far less volume of food than the one eating the cereal.  It's because the intense concentration of fructose in processed cereal fools the brain receptors for satiety, whereas the lower concentration in fruit does not.

In my opinion, it's not only the fact that the fructose is bad for you in those concentrations, but it also make you eat far more than you normally would in their absence.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the epidemic rise in obesity and type-2 diabetes in kids is strongly correlated with the explosion of the processed food industry and fast-food industry during the 1960's and 1970's.  And when you look at the marketing for those industries, it's pretty clear that kids were and are directly targeted!  Pretty shameful actually ?

Many people's chief complaint when they attempt  to change their diet to Vegan or plant-based from a standard diet (i.e.: Standard American Diet or SAD) is that they feel that the taste of plant-based is just too bland and boring. 

But it's not really that vegan or plant-based food is bland,  it's because they are used to almost all the foods they have been eating are altered with high fructose corn syrup, much of it hidden in foods you wouldn't even expect to contain them.  Go to a supermarket and read the ingredients on ANY packaged food product and you'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't include HFCS. 

It takes time to adapt to vegan or plant-based eating for this reason, but most people who are successful, are then appalled at the taste of most of the processed foods they used to like for the same reason.  At least that was my experience.

I have no problems with a little bit of brown sugar in my coffee or tea. It's energy as long as there is not too much of it.

But all the sweet drinks they sell here in Thailand is terrible stuff.   I also drink Matcha green tea from time to time , very healthy but some sugar in it. 

6 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Many people's chief complaint when they attempt  to change their diet to Vegan or plant-based from a standard diet (i.e.: Standard American Diet or SAD) is that they feel that the taste of plant-based is just too bland and boring. 

Are chillies bland and boring? ?  They seem to have lots of health benefits as well as an extremely strong taste.  

Of course I'm referring to the raw chillies, not the sauce with lots of added ingredients. The following site lists the benefits, but I'm not sure how sound the scientific evidence is.

https://www.curejoy.com/content/fire-up-your-weight-loss-diet-with-spicy-green-chillies/

19 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Are chillies bland and boring? ?  They seem to have lots of health benefits as well as an extremely strong taste.  ...

I've been a vegetarian for about 45 years.  I do take milk, cheese and eat eggs.  In 1977 I went to Thailand and discovered chili peppers.  At first, I was speechless, because I couldn't talk after I had eaten some.  Now, I have to have hot stuff. Though not as hot as my Thai brother in law, who can eat two level teaspoons of dried and roasted Thai hot pepper in a large bowl of noodles.

First time I noticed the benefit of hot pepper was when I was studying Thai language in Maha Sarakham in the hot, dry season. If not for the pepper, I wouldn't have eaten.  It lit my fire.

I am very fond of spicy Indian food.  My Thai wife teases me about the big Indian women in the circus tent-sized Saris. Says I should have married one. 

5 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

ok, I found this Documentary, I don't think I can eat meat in Thailand after seeing this. 

Absolutely awful! The conditions seem even worse than those in the caged chicken farms.
I guess the main problem is economics. I'm always willing to pay more for free range eggs and grass fed meat, but one doesn't really know how truly free range the chickens were or how well treated the grass fed cows were.

There should be more government regulation insisting of more humane treatment of these animals. However, monitoring such regulations costs money and the more humane treatment of the animals tends to increase the cost of production. Free range eggs are more expensive than caged eggs.

13 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Fung is discussing Type II diabetes.   Many people have found cures for Type II thru diets and exercise interventions of all sorts.  And every diet and exercise and life style intervention beats being on the endless drugs which lead to more diseases over time.  

Softly gently and politely I don't agree - and I have had type 2 diabetes for a very long time and know many diabetics - none have been cured - under control yes, but not cured.

There is a very big difference.

I exercise, eat a plant based diet and water fast at times and so on and it all helps - but so far no cure.

Now is it possible if you recently got diabetes to reverse it - maybe, but not yet proven.

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Softly gently and politely I don't agree - and I have had type 2 diabetes for a very long time and know many diabetics - none have been cured - under control yes, but not cured.

There is a very big difference.

Kind regards intended; can you elaborate on what you consider the difference to be?  Practically speaking, isn't being symptom-free without medications just as good as a cure.

My MD told me I was pre-diabetic, put me on Metformin and advised it was only a matter of time before I would need insulin.  He offered no nutritional advice, and only suggested this was a condition I would need to manage with medications, basically for the rest of my life.  The med didn’t improve things at all.

Reading and listening to Fung was indirectly what got interested in plant-based nutrition and specifically into exploring the possibilities inherent in fasting.  I embraced both.

I can’t say whether it was fasting or dietary change, but my fasted blood glucose was in the normal range within weeks of making lifestyle changes.

You have to consider that abnormal blood glucose levels are a symptom of diabetes, not the cause,  and since I’m pre-disposed to diabetes, if I ignore my diet, I’ll have issues again.  So, I agree with you that there is no cure, but if I am symptom free as long as I maintain a good diet, isn't that really just as good? 

The main point is that I’m managing the condition without medications, and most likely without facing insulin shots in the future which will only make the condition grow far worse over time.  So, I happen to think pretty highly of Fung's approach and what he has to say.  

His thing is that there is an alternative to the meds for many people, and resorting to exogenous insulin does nothing but exacerbate the problem in the long run.  It’s like putting a band-aid on an infected wound.

It’s analagous to giving alcohol to an alcoholic; all it does is address the symptoms (abnormal blood glucose) but it does not address the cause of the disease, which is insulin insensitivity.  

And worse, using exogenous insulin only creates higher levels of insulin in the body which only results in more insensitivity in the long run so the condition will only grow worse over time as higher dosages will be required.

If there’s just one take-away from Fung’s message, it’s that blood glucose is a symptom of diabetes, not the cause.  The cause is insulin insensitity.  In his clinically studied opinion, fasting and dietary changes address this cause whereas insulin shots and other diabetes meds only address the symptom.

6 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Absolutely awful! The conditions seem even worse than those in the caged chicken farms.
I guess the main problem is economics. I'm always willing to pay more for free range eggs and grass fed meat, but one doesn't really know how truly free range the chickens were or how well treated the grass fed cows were.

There should be more government regulation insisting of more humane treatment of these animals. However, monitoring such regulations costs money and the more humane treatment of the animals tends to increase the cost of production. Free range eggs are more expensive than caged eggs.

There's no such thing as Humane slaughter, you can't do it in a nice way, but if you do believe in the word Humane, then what about Humane rape, humane slavery, humane child molestation, a Humane Holocaust... of course we all agree that you can't rape a woman in a nice way, the act of rape is evil, the act of murder is evil, you can't do it in a nice way.

yes that documentary was awful though, if everyone in the western world saw it there would be way more vegetarians and vegans, the world needs to know the truth, Sadly the meat, dairy and eggs industries have tons and tons of money and tons of power and they can control the Government. 

3 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Kind regards intended; can you elaborate on what you consider the difference to be?  Practically speaking, isn't being symptom-free without medications just as good as a cure.

My MD told me I was pre-diabetic, put me on Metformin and advised it was only a matter of time before I would need insulin.  He offered no nutritional advice, and only suggested this was a condition I would need to manage with medications, basically for the rest of my life.  The med didn’t improve things at all.

Reading and listening to Fung was indirectly what got interested in plant-based nutrition and specifically into exploring the possibilities inherent in fasting.  I embraced both.

I can’t say whether it was fasting or dietary change, but my fasted blood glucose was in the normal range within weeks of making lifestyle changes.

You have to consider that abnormal blood glucose levels are a symptom of diabetes, not the cause,  and since I’m pre-disposed to diabetes, if I ignore my diet, I’ll have issues again.  So, I agree with you that there is no cure, but if I am symptom free as long as I maintain a good diet, isn't that really just as good? 

The main point is that I’m managing the condition without medications, and most likely without facing insulin shots in the future which will only make the condition grow far worse over time.  So, I happen to think pretty highly of Fung's approach and what he has to say.  

His thing is that there is an alternative to the meds for many people, and resorting to exogenous insulin does nothing but exacerbate the problem in the long run.  It’s like putting a band-aid on an infected wound.

It’s analagous to giving alcohol to an alcoholic; all it does is address the symptoms (abnormal blood glucose) but it does not address the cause of the disease, which is insulin insensitivity.  

And worse, using exogenous insulin only creates higher levels of insulin in the body which only results in more insensitivity in the long run so the condition will only grow worse over time as higher dosages will be required.

If there’s just one take-away from Fung’s message, it’s that blood glucose is a symptom of diabetes, not the cause.  The cause is insulin insensitity.  In his clinically studied opinion, fasting and dietary changes address this cause whereas insulin shots and other diabetes meds only address the symptom.

Curing diabetes means that all is well with no insulin resistance.

As an example if I exercise and eat a very low carb low calorie diet (or use lots of medicine, or a combination) my fasting glucose and HBa1c can look normal (or better).

So far so good.

But maybe you are not cured at all as you may still be insulin resistant which has many related problems.

How to test? Simple a glucose test in a doctors office or a much simpler test eat lots of carbs and test your glucose level if not normal you are not cured only under control - which is a lot better than not under control.

All cause mortality is still a big problem if you are thin with good glucose levels if you are insulin resistant.

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Curing diabetes means that all is well with no insulin resistance.

As an example if I exercise and eat a very low carb low calorie diet (or use lots of medicine, or a combination) my fasting glucose and HBa1c can look normal (or better).

So far so good.

But maybe you are not cured at all as you may still be insulin resistant which has many related problems.

How to test? Simple a glucose test in a doctors office or a much simpler test eat lots of carbs and test your glucose level if not normal you are not cured only under control - which is a lot better than not under control.

All cause mortality is still a big problem if you are thin with good glucose levels if you are insulin resistant.

Are you taking prescribed medications?

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I would love to find a Chiang Mai area MD who follows a plant based diet.

Any ideas?

I don't know if my MD here is Chinag Mai is actually plant-based herself but she is knowledgeable about it, enthusiastically advises me on mine, and is always willing to take the time to intelligently discuss any issues I have.  Very nice lady and speaks English fluently.

Her name is Nisachon Morgan, MD.  Give her a call??

Her contact info:

https://goo.gl/maps/niQM5xm7dJn

What I meant in my previous post is that current medical protocols folowed by many physicians when dealing with Diabetes-2 only address the symptoms, not the cause. 

A metabolic approach like Fung advocates, address the cause (insulin insensitivity), not merely the symptoms.  At least for me, that approach has made a big difference, and all without any medications, or the complications that those medications will eventually cause.

It's true, things could go south on me in the future in spite of this, but for now at least,  all indications are that I have normal insulin response, and without any meds whatsoever.

This is huge to me because I think it's common knowledge that taking exogenous insulin is a slippery slope.  It addresses symptoms in the short term, but as one habituates to it, larger and larger doses become necessary, and in the long term, it only results in ever-increasing insulin insensitivity in a lot of people until they are finally in serious life-threatening or debilitating situations.

Going on a healthier diet can't help everyone with type 2 diabetes but it has helped at least some people lower or get off their medicines or insulin.  Even Walter Kempner MD was doing this for his patients way back in the 1930's with his rice diet.  White rice, fruit juice and sugar.  

Now it's more like whole grains, vegetables, fruit, beans/lentils and if you're not vegetarian perhaps a small amount of fish/seafood or lean meat in addition. 

18 minutes ago, Taggart said:

Going on a healthier diet can't help everyone with type 2 diabetes but it has helped at least some people lower or get off their medicines or insulin.  Even Walter Kempner MD was doing this for his patients way back in the 1930's with his rice diet.  White rice, fruit juice and sugar.  

Now it's more like whole grains, vegetables, fruit, beans/lentils and if you're not vegetarian perhaps a small amount of fish/seafood or lean meat in addition. 

"lower or get off their medicines or insulin."

Correct - but not yet proven to cure diabetes.

But who knows maybe a plant based diet will actually cure some people - for example those who recently got diabetes...

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Are you taking prescribed medications?

Metformin etc does not work for me insulin does, but causes weight gain and does not really fix anything as you and others have mentioned.

I used to take mega doses of insulin but that was not a good path for me so now my focus is diet and exercise which works well.

I don't know if my MD here is Chinag Mai is actually plant-based herself but she is knowledgeable about it, enthusiastically advises me on mine, and is always willing to take the time to intelligently discuss any issues I have.  Very nice lady and speaks English fluently.

Her name is Nisachon Morgan, MD.  Give her a call??

Her contact info:

https://goo.gl/maps/niQM5xm7dJn

Is she a vegetarian?

Her background?

Does she take appointments?

Note I refuse to wait hours to see a doctor...

What I meant in my previous post is that current medical protocols folowed by many physicians when dealing with Diabetes-2 only address the symptoms, not the cause. 

A metabolic approach like Fung advocates, address the cause (insulin insensitivity), not merely the symptoms.  At least for me, that approach has made a big difference, and all without any medications, or the complications that those medications will eventually cause.

It's true, things could go south on me in the future in spite of this, but for now at least,  all indications are that I have normal insulin response, and without any meds whatsoever.

This is huge to me because I think it's common knowledge that taking exogenous insulin is a slippery slope.  It addresses symptoms in the short term, but as one habituates to it, larger and larger doses become necessary, and in the long term, it only results in ever-increasing insulin insensitivity in a lot of people until they are finally in serious life-threatening or debilitating situations.

"...current medical protocols folowed by many physicians when dealing with Diabetes-2 only address the symptoms, not the cause. "

100% agree.

I am not sure that Fung addresses the cause.

"all indications are that I have normal insulin response,"

Very simple to test have a large high carb meal - then test your blood sugar two hours later is it a perfect level? Then you are doing very well - if not you have challenges.

19 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Is she a vegetarian?

Her background?

Does she take appointments?

Note I refuse to wait hours to see a doctor...

I'm really not sure about her own personal dietary preferences, but she is unusually knowledgable about nutrition and metabolic syndrome.  That impressed me since most MD's are not.  She is a great diagnostician, and like I said before, most importantly of all, she listens to you and takes all the time you need to explain what your concerns are before dispensing advice. 

She is a GP.  She is very accessible.  She has a pretty big following but her office is very well administered.  I've been able to call her on the phone and get in the next day, sometimes the same day. 

And yeah I know what you're saying about the usual waiting room waiting game with most doctor's offices.  I've never had to wait more than a few minutes past appointment time to see her.

46 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

"...current medical protocols folowed by many physicians when dealing with Diabetes-2 only address the symptoms, not the cause. "

100% agree.

I am not sure that Fung addresses the cause.

"all indications are that I have normal insulin response,"

Very simple to test have a large high carb meal - then test your blood sugar two hours later is it a perfect level? Then you are doing very well - if not you have challenges.

Actually what I meant but stated it incorrectly is that all indications are that I no longer have insulin insensitivity.  Fung's real contention is that excessive carbohydrates lead to insulin insensitivity.  So, I think Fung is very clearly addressing the cause of Diabetes-2 with his protocols.

I am a little disappointed that Fung doesn't acknowledge the importance of plant-based eating.  While fasting may address insulin insensitivity as a short-term solution, it's not a long term solution.  Plant based is.

You have to remember though that most of his patients are already diabetics and in crisis situations so his concerns are getting them out of danger ASAP, thus his emphasis on fasting, not long-term nutrition.

And of course, not everyone with Diabetes-2 will respond to nutritional modification without the need of meds.

All I know for sure is that it seems to work for me, and I think anyone facing the prospects of exogenous insulin in their future should explore this before simply accepting that they'll be on meds for the rest of their life.

23 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Could you tell us more about your technique?  I do IF by skipping breakfast and this gives me a smaller window of time to eat.  I just do lunch and dinner.  This was very successful for me helping me take off about 16 Kilos.  However, the effect stopped some months ago and I am considering changing methods as i would like to loose 5 to 7 more kilos.  I been considering 3 day water fast and the OMAD (One meal a day) technique to continue.  

I prefer a light breakfast, main meal at lunchtime and light soup if necessary no later than 6pm & > 600 cals in total. The change in diet has caused severe gastro probs as explained in another thread but I saw the Dr today who has updated my meds which should address that issue. The Dr seemed quite impressed with the weekly chart I produced showing weight loss, BP, exercise regime and IF/600cal dates and so did the nutritionist we (wife came too) were directed to at the hospital.

My next appt is in 2 months. I hope to shift a further 5+ kgs in that time.

HTH

Archived