Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

RR I have no problem with that if that's what the majority want and a few years ago that wasn't the case. It may change. However, if you want to join or stay in the EU decisions would be made in Brussels, as they are now tangled with thousands of bureaucratic wrappings, to ensure it is as difficult as possible to change, as we are having been seeing that.

I can understand the will of independence. That is what the UK is trying to do now. But you would then join an greater controlled organisations where you can't elect them out. Baffles me.

At the fear of dragging us way off topic (apologies once again), not all independence supporters want to rejoin the EU; however those that do, I presume, feel that the benefits of membership outweigh any negative aspects that some percieve.

For those who support re-entry to the EU, I understand that this is a common belief for what that means:

IMG_20180706_112628.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

At the fear of dragging us way off topic (apologies once again), not all independence supporters want to rejoin the EU; however those that do, I presume, feel that the benefits of membership outweigh any negative aspects that some percieve.

For those who support re-entry to the EU, I understand that this is a common belief for what that means:

IMG_20180706_112628.jpg

It didn't really answer the question but whatever.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It didn't really answer the question but whatever.

But you didn't really ask a question, more you indicated that you could not grasp the rationale for those of us who want to rejoin the EU. I offered a simple explanation - I'm not sure what else you expected me to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, tebee said:

Wouldn't it be great if our cabinet were meeting today to decide what's best for the future of the UK as a whole rather than each one working solely for what's best for them personally?

Wouldn't it be great if our cabinet were meeting today to decide the best way forward to deliver the will of the people - rather that each one working solely for what's best for them personally?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

IMG_20180706_112628.jpg

You're dragging us all way off topic yet again.

Surely better posted in a Scots/brexit thread rather than this one?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But you would then join an greater controlled organisations where you can't elect them out. Baffles me.

The Scottish electorate have indicated that they feel membership of the EU is, on balance, a positive thing for the country. The reasons for that are mostly, I presume, the same reasons that you find remainers in other parts of the UK. After 3 years, you still cannot see their point, and that is perfectly fine but I doubt that I will be able to help you understand any more clearly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Wouldn't it be great if our cabinet were meeting today to decide the best way forward to deliver the will of the people - rather that each one working solely for what's best for them personally?

The extent of the "mandate" from the referendum is so "clear" that over two years later, the Cabinet itself cannot agree what it was - not to mention the wider country ....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're dragging us all way off topic yet again.

Surely better posted in a Scots/brexit thread rather than this one?

Wasn't me 'guv, but you are correct. I shall desist, or at least I shall try.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

The extent of the "mandate" from the referendum is so "clear" that over two years later, the Cabinet itself cannot agree what it was - not to mention the wider country ....

If Gove hadn't stabbed Johnson in the back, maybe we wouldn't be in this mess - although me may have been in an altogether different one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I assume you meant round, not around. However, not a particularly good analogy; the earth is not round, it is an oblate spheroid, meaning that the distance from the earth's centre to sea level is roughly 21 kilometres greater at the equator than at the north and south poles.

You were warned

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

It's obvious that the remainers answer would be to call off brexit. ?

It's been stated time and time again.  They ignore the likelihood of MPs in leave areas being voted out of office as a result.

I've said time and time again, the govt. is looking for a leave in name only result, that doesn't result in many of their MPs being voted out of office by their constituents.

It would be a fine thing if MPs did indeed vote remain because it is the correct decision even if they risked their seats as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So you're saying all the countries outside of the EU are like North Korea?  Interesting take!

No all countries outside North Korea have to accept some sort of influence in their policies and affairs,  if they want to take part in global trade. 

For instance:  EU single market rules are based on global conventions and standards we would adopt anyway, if we want to trade with the rest of the world. 

• Like 1

It says a lot about the UKIP Tory understanding of the UK economy and their poor negotiating skills with the EU that they:

- Focus on saving from extinction UK Manufacturing / Physical goods, 20% of UK value-add and where we have a massive trade deficit (ie we're relatively not very good).  Deficit of GBP 95 billion in goods in 2017 with EU. 

- Allow Services to die, which are 80% of UK value-add and where we had a massive trade surplus of GBP 28 billion in 2017 with EU (which mainly pays for the deficit on manufactured goods). 

Fabulous logic.  

Analogous to choosing to take A Levels in your worst result O Levels instead of your best !

As others have said, the EU Services Free Trade is far from perfect, but is the best in existence in the world currently.

https://www.ft.com/content/f3f5506c-7f6d-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I don’t know what you’re waffling on about, I’m not sure if you know yourself

*** There is nothing democratic or undemocratic about a referendum ***

Wrong, it is a democratic process, if you think it is not, please say why.

Everyone and his grandmother’s cat knows that a UK referendum is not legally binding.

Everyone knows that the government said in the advisory leaflet they sent to every household “ This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide”

Everyone knows that pressure was put on the government not to trigger article 50 without putting it to a parliamentary vote; they did this, after a high court ruling, which is democracy working perfectly, and everyone knows the result of that vote.

This is how democratic process works in the UK, I fail to see why you cannot understand that; you just keep claiming that anything you disagree with suddenly becomes undemocratic, without any logical reason why. This continually recycled wailing from remainers has become very tiresome.

You are perfectly free to believe that decisions taken in a parliamentary democracy are by referendum, up to you.

I fail to understand why people ask questions when they have already decided the answer they want to hear, nothing short of inflammatory behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

So you didn't write this in response to my comment about your not understanding how supply chains work? 

"Didn't Volkwagen  clearly know something about diesel emissions violations but forgot to tell the general public.

Half a million vehicles recalled as I recall. So much for "they" clearly knowing"

I guess it was somebody elsle who wrote that. Did they hack into your account?

For those interested in Aright's thought processes, such as they are, go to post #627 where he brings up Volkswagen in regard to Land Rover/Jaguar.

Not interested, this is supposed to be about cards...not cars.

40 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You probably remember, pre the referendum,one of the financial experts, the Governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney predicted a disastrous economic future for the U.K if we were to leave the hated E.U. Well, now it seems,he was wrong,and he’s admitted such.

Yet we still have people such as yourself,peddling project fear.

E91CB4BD-5F00-4758-9A76-F14F45E74E3B.jpeg

I'm sorry. I did not know that my question for: What exactly happened after date 29.3.2019? is already project fear. I did not mean to scare anyone. My question was aimed at factual content. Apparently nobody really knows, neither the UK, the EU, the politicians, the economy and the population how to go on there.

And in 9 months should everything be hurray?

Maybe by a miracle?

Sometimes I wonder if the responsible politicians really have the felfare of the population in mind.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tebee said:

No, people are still predicting a disastrous economic future for the U.K if we leave the E.U without  a deal.

You may not have noticed that we haven't done this yet.....

I know. There was a recent posting by some Brexiter who claimed that because the UK was having a good quarter now, that vindicated Brexit. Maybe someone should tell him what month and year it is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/german-minister-brussels-brexit-rigidity-will-put-lives-at-risk/

The EU plums know better than you Mr Seehofer.

The EU has no need for the best Intelligence Services in the EU or access to 5 eyes.

Let them crack on.

Perhaps something to include in the missing negotiating position?!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I know. There was a recent posting by some Brexiter who claimed that because the UK was having a good quarter now, that vindicated Brexit. Maybe someone should tell him what month and year it is.

We used 45 years' experience to evaluate and justify Brexit. Vindication in 3 months? Bah! 

• Like 1