Rescuers about to reach 'Pattaya Beach' chamber of Tham Luang Cave

webfact

Nah. This is a discussion forum. Things are discussed here. 
Also, don't worry, if/when there is any significant news, it'll be broadcast around the world instantly. 

Indeed, and most of the discussions are sparked by the articles.
How would we know what to discuss if we cant reply on the same thread as the articles?!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, greenchair said:

The clouds are rolling in here in bkk. 

If the rain bursts, all that work for drainage has to start again. 

The day is almost done. 

I have the a bad feeling they are not there. 

Bkk is a long way from the site of operation..................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Just read on the Chang Mai news that updates on this tragedy that a couple of cars belonging to people working on the rescue have been broken into and personal stuff stolen, just when you think some people can't sink much lower along comes these pilfering dregs of society!

It is an unfortunate fact of life that when digging through mud you will uncover worms, they are always there waiting to surface.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nabbie said:

If the survivors can give the rescuer team the tiniest signal or hint, that will make a huge hope....   

It would. But if the survivors got the tiniest signal or hint from the rescue teams, that would mean so, so much more.

Edit: That was not a dig at you nabbie, but priorities must be priorities. (I just re-read after posting and it looked like a dig)

Edited by chrisinth

With the amount of threads in here it's fairly hard to find any actual news. Which I take it there has been none of, still no sign of the 13 and progress into the cave is ongoing. Just gotta wait.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No point in spreading ignorance.

Oxygen tanks usually have green tops (although some dive oxygen is in blue cylinders).

Air tanks contain mainly nitrogen (78%), so no reason to call them oxygen tanks.

Sometimes it’s reading these posts that you pick up info that could poss change lives, I now know what is in these tanks so thanks. 

• Like 1

I just think this particular subject is more important than the comments laden inside it and wading through the pages which I don't bother reading as they are normally hear say is stifling my effort to keep upto date. I just want progress updates sign of life etc. I am not interested in any other comments on this thread and I think the continuity of this subject and need for updates sets ut apart from other topics. The irony is fully understood too that I am now commenting. I just want some good news not bickering and deliberation on resource deployment.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

I have been wondering about that, they might be too large to maneuver through small spaces. Certainly more efficient though...

No need to wonder, it's because the Thai forces don't have rebreathers, and haven't been trained to use them.

They are generally much smaller and lighter and easier to maneuver than the 15l? air tanks that are shown in all the photos.

15l air tank Vs 2l oxygen + 2l diluent tank

The Thai forces usually only have equipment 20-30 years out of date compared to the western world.

The question I want to ask, is why the foreign helpers haven't brought such equipment with them?

Is it that the Thais can't refill oxygen tanks? or the Thais are sidelining the foreign forces? 

or is it some other reason I haven't thought of?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was in this area, and in the afternoon I went to the caves around. Near the cave very close to the cave was another cave name (sao hin )and I entered it ... I was only a hundred meters ahead ... and a large snake was brought forward. And I decided to come back ... It was really scary, and the air was so little and dark and scary .. 

At the same time, I thought of these poor children!!!
Edited by mehrdad

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Or you can visit one of the many thousands of news sites providing up to the minute coverage that is not a discussion forum. 

Agreed. I think you can assume that commentators here, (in a place that will likely never be read by Thais, who don't care what foreigners think anyway), are engaged in something other than sensible discussion. Without any doubt at all.

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

The 2010 Copiapó mining accident began as a cave-in on 5 August 2010 at the San José copper-gold mine in the Atacama Desert near Copiapó, Chile. The accident left 33 men trapped 700 meters (2,300 ft) below ground who survived underground for a record 69 days.[1][2] All 33 men were rescued and brought to the surface on 13 October 2010 over a period of almost 24 hours. After the last trapped miner was winched to the surface, the rescue workers still underground held up a sign before the camera stating “Misión cumplida Chile” (English: “Mission accomplished Chile”) to the estimated more than 1 billion people watching the rescue on live television around the world.[3]

I hope these kids make it .......

The film was on tv last night English language Thai subs

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No need to wonder, it's because the Thai forces don't have rebreathers, and haven't been trained to use them.

They are generally much smaller and lighter and easier to maneuver than the 15l air tanks that are shown in all the photos.

15l air tank Vs 2l oxygen + 2l diluent tank)

The Thai forces usually only have equipment 20-30 years out of date compared to the western world.

The question I want to ask, is why the foreign helpers haven't brought such equipment with them?

Is it that the Thais can't refill oxygen tanks? or the Thais are sidelining the foreign forces? 

or is it some other reason I haven't thought of?

Rebreathers are often used for exploration cave diving to substantially increase penetration times, but usually only where there is good access, and no squeezes, since the equipment is usually carried on your back (or chest). Also there are larger and more delicate inlet & outlet hoses that can easily get damaged.

Air bottles are often carried on your sides for cave diving, and can be more easily removed to allow tight squeezes to be negotiated. 

Finally as a point of interest, oxygen rebreathers have been in use for well over 100 years.. Air diving only a little over 50 years.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I just think this particular subject is more important than the comments laden inside it and wading through the pages which I don't bother reading as they are normally hear say is stifling my effort to keep upto date. I just want progress updates sign of life etc. I am not interested in any other comments on this thread and I think the continuity of this subject and need for updates sets ut apart from other topics. The irony is fully understood too that I am now commenting. I just want some good news not bickering and deliberation on resource deployment.

https://news.google.com/search?q=Tham luang cave&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

17 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Sometimes it’s reading these posts that you pick up info that could poss change lives, I now know what is in these tanks so thanks. 

In fact breathing pure oxygen at less than 10 metres underwater will likely have you die through oxygen toxicity. Oxygen is a nasty thing. Nitrogen also begins to cause issues at depths below 30-40 metres depending on the person. After that is it wise to start adding helium into the mix as it is relatively inert. My adding helium, you add less oxygen and nitrogen and it allows you to go even deeper underwater.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Rebreathers are often used for exploration cave diving to substantially increase penetration times, but usually only where there is good access, and no squeezes, since the equipment is usually carried on your back (or chest). Also there are larger and more delicate inlet & outlet hoses that can easily get damaged.

You've been cave diving with a rebreather?

I've only used air, the rebreather equipment, scrubber carts and oxygen fills put it out of my price range.

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I would have thought rebreathers in that environment would have been a much better solution. Unsure why some of the assisting nations haven't brought the equipment along. Maybe nothing local?

They have manpower and a tonne of tanks so it will have to do.

Edited by Farangwithaplan